Brewer Fanatic

2016 Random MLB News & Notes Thread

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Top of the first inning Aledmys Diaz gets hit on the wrist taking a partial swing and has to leave the game. Bottom of the first the Cardinals drill Stanton in the ribs on the first pitch of the at bat. Obviously intentional and Stanton stared down Carlos Martinez most of the way to first. And no warnings issued. How does St. Louis consistently get away with this crap?

Top of the first inning Aledmys Diaz gets hit on the wrist taking a partial swing and has to leave the game. Bottom of the first the Cardinals drill Stanton in the ribs on the first pitch of the at bat. Obviously intentional and Stanton stared down Carlos Martinez most of the way to first. And no warnings issued. How does St. Louis consistently get away with this crap?

Because they're the best organization in baseball.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Former big league pitcher Dan Haren had a great tweet today:

The trade deadline just doesn't seem the same without me being every team's fallback option. Oh wait....

He then posts a ton of tweets ripping teams for acquiring him. Pretty funny.

My son texted me a picture of the two players with that caption (looked like it was from Baseball Reference). Not sure if that was through yesterday's games or not.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I really enjoyed the article strictly for the title:

Five things we learned Tuesday: Mike Matheny, still a bad tactical manager

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/72867/five-things-we-learned-tuesday-mike-matheny-still-a-bad-tactical-manager

Then I read the article and watch the video of the Reds walking off against the Cardinals and life we good :)

Trevor Story out for remainder of season w/ a thumb injury. Since he's a Rockies player I thought I'd look up his Home/Road splits. Looks like the Coors Field factor is in full effect:

Home Stats: .313/.393 /.693

Away Stats: .235 /.292/.454

Wow!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Apparently the Red Sox cancelled their David Ortiz bobblehead night because it was racially insensitive. I looked the bobble up and was kind of shocked by one portion of it. I'm glad they decided to not pass them out today and will pass out new ones for people with tickets to tonight's game at a later date.

Apparently the Red Sox cancelled their David Ortiz bobblehead night because it was racially insensitive. I looked the bobble up and was kind of shocked by one portion of it. I'm glad they decided to not pass them out today and will pass out new ones for people with tickets to tonight's game at a later date.

When I first saw the bobblehead, I didn't notice the problem, but it must have been something with the picture, because when I looked it up this morning, the issue jumped off the screen.

Yeah, that's pretty bad.

Reminds me of the horrible Lucille Ball statue someone put a few years ago. Just hideous. I think it got replaced recently.

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/styles/tout_image_612x380/public/i/2015/04/06/lucille-ball-statue.jpg?itok=Rm4XU4nD

Has anyone noticed the season Zach Britton is having?

0.54 ERA, .082 WHIP, 37 saves, Zero blown saves, 59 K in 50 IP.

And it's not just this season. He had sub .200 ERAs in 2014 and 2015 (plus 36 and 37 saves, respectively).

He's produced 2.5, 2.5 and 3.1 bWAR over the last three years. Pretty impressive for a reliever. But you don't hear much about the guy.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brittza01.shtml

Has anyone noticed the season Zach Britton is having?

0.54 ERA, .082 WHIP, 37 saves, Zero blown saves, 59 K in 50 IP.

And it's not just this season. He had sub .200 ERAs in 2014 and 2015 (plus 36 and 37 saves, respectively).

He's produced 2.5, 2.5 and 3.1 bWAR over the last three years. Pretty impressive for a reliever. But you don't hear much about the guy.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brittza01.shtml

I live in the Baltimore area, so I hear about him all the time. He is having a fantastic season and should rightfully be in the discussion for AL Cy Young since it's wide open. He has given up 3 ERs this year in 50 IP. That's ridiculous. His sinker often gets mentioned as one of the most devastating pitches in the game. Chapman's has the headline heater, but Britton's sinker is a legend in it's own right.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Everitt ejected 4 different Tigers over 3 separate occasions yesterday. During the first ejection the announcers decided to talk about Everitt's father dying of cancer. Really weird.

After Ausmus and the hitting coach were ejected it appeared the "acting bench coach" was some guy in a polo shirt as he made the changes to the lineup card and handled the phone for replays.

Archived