Brewer Fanatic

2016 Random MLB News & Notes Thread

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Transaction rules question :

Player has a $20M/year contract and a no-trade clause, or 10/5 rights. Player is placed on waivers by Team A in August. Team B decides to claim Player, owing no compensation but on the hook for the rest of his contract, and Team A decides to allow the salary dump and not revoke. Is player now obligated to move to Team B even though he has a full NTC?

The player's protected. He's also protected if the team making the claim is affected by any kind of no-trade clause.

But under this scenario, I'm not sure how the protection kicks in with trade (revocable) waivers. Maybe the team putting him on waivers just pulls him back.

If the player is on irrevocable waivers and claimed, I believe he can simply refuse to report, elect free agency, and still get paid, i.e. the same as if he was given his release.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Chris Young has given up 26 HRs in 60 IP. Ouch.

With a HR/FB of 26% One out of every 4 fly balls is a homer. That is insane!

The scarier thing is KC keeps sending him out to the mound. Usually a guy doing that poorly over such a long span gets sent to the pen or released or they find something wrong with him so he can go on the DL.

Community Moderator
This is a fun article:

The day Robin Yount caught an inning for the Diamondbacks

This happened when Robin wasn't quite 50 years old, and the D'Backs were playing an in-season exhibition game against their South Bend affiliate. In-season exhibitions are never popular with players, so of course, they were grumbling. Robin caught to stop the complaining.

Another fun Robin Yount article, Baseball America's 1973 Draft Spotlight: Robin Yount. It provides a retrospective of his draft signing (one of the last first rounders to sign that year) and quick ascension to the majors.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I can't find the link anymore but Roger Clemens and 23 other former major leaguers (plus Roger's son) are competing in a tournament against a bunch of teams full of college kids in August. Roger also apparently plays in the National Senior League and last year faced off of against Oil Can Boyd in the playoffs and got a hit off of him.

I can't find the link anymore but Roger Clemens and 23 other former major leaguers (plus Roger's son) are competing in a tournament against a bunch of teams full of college kids in August. Roger also apparently plays in the National Senior League and last year faced off of against Oil Can Boyd in the playoffs and got a hit off of him.

Nbcworldseries is where I saw it...pretty cool.

Cubs got lefty reliever Mike Montgomery, gave up Dan Vogelbach to get him.

We now have a new topic for this trade, so any discussion should be put in that thread.

Montgomery/Pries to Cubs, Vogelbach/Blackburn to Mariners

Even with the PED stuff, Braun has turned out to being the better choice for contract. Hope Fielder can get himself right.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Early returns make Heyward's contract look like the Cubs new Soriano contract.

When I see stuff like this it just makes me think that trading Braun for salary relief is just tomfoolery. Braun continues to be a top hitting OF and his salary is only $20, $20, $19, and $17 million over the next 4 years. While Jason Heyward will get over $28 million each of the next 2 years, followed by $20, $21, $21, $22, $22 million.

Sunday is a business day during the season, and I seem to recall Sunday trade deadlines in the past. I wonder if there's something unusual besides July 31 falling on a Sunday.

It should be pushed to mid August anyways.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived