Brewer Fanatic

2016 Random MLB News & Notes Thread

Apparently you guys are too young to remember the Billy Martin and Earl Weaver (among others) umpire exchanges, they were epic. I was a kid in little league at the time and it didn't affect one bit how I acted towards umpires. If I had pulled any of the stuff they did, I would have been sitting the bench.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Voices are distinguishable. Doesn't have to see Harper to recognize his voice. Especially after having it raised towards you earlier in the game. I agree he should receive a susp. post ejection to get back on the field and fire more vocal shots towards the ump. That's minimum a 2nd ejection offense in my eyes. Which would mean another game. Just something that puts responsibility for his actions. Seeing especially has he's gaining traction as the #1 player in all of baseball. Call it a fathering moment. Because 18yr olds and younger are impressionable and right now it's okay to argue post game with the ump who ejected you.

Can we stop with the "think of the children!" nonsense when it comes to the actions of pro athletes. Bryce got like 1 step out of the dugout when he was tossed, then came back on the field to celebrate with his teammates, and I guess said some things after the game. Fine him for criticizing the umps if you want but to suspend him as you are suggesting as a "teachable moment" is ridiculous. David Ortiz has gotten tossed on multiple occasions making a fool out of himself and he's more a face of the game than Bryce is.

Except no one gives a crap about PED's in football so there's nothing to cover up. Players get suspended all the time and no one bats an eye.

There's such a double standard when it comes to PEDs in MLB, versus PEDs in every other sport. It's very bizarre.

It is all about how each league goes about it. In baseball the league makes a HUGE deal about it. You don't see that with the NFL.

I doubt it will happen, but I hope Harper gets a harsh suspension for his antics the other night.

Looks like you got your wish, Harper suspended for a game. Maybe you wanted more, but at least he was suspended.

By the way, FWIW, I'm an old school guy. Not a big fan of antics on the field either. But for some reason I don't mind Harper, (or TPlush for that matter) adding a little spice to the game. As long as it's only a few guys here and there, adds some fun. Now if it turns into the WWE out there, that's another story.

Not a big fan of antics on the field either. But for some reason I don't mind Harper, (or TPlush for that matter) adding a little spice to the game.

I don't understand why so many people hate on players like Harper/Gomez. God forbid someone gets passionate about the game and tries to have fun. Seriously I want entertainment and guys wanting to win. I always hated the dislike for Gomez because he was passionate and wasn't a push over. You say something to him and he isn't backing down. We need more players like that who don't just strikeout and walk back to the dugout thinking about how it will effect their wallet.

Except no one gives a crap about PED's in football so there's nothing to cover up. Players get suspended all the time and no one bats an eye.

There's such a double standard when it comes to PEDs in MLB, versus PEDs in every other sport. It's very bizarre.

It is all about how each league goes about it. In baseball the league makes a HUGE deal about it. You don't see that with the NFL.

The fans make a huge deal about it because of the records. For the most part the amount of games played has been unchanged for 75 years. In football, the games have gone from 8 to 12 to14 to 16, and now the league possibly wanting more. Don Hutson's TD record at his time is very impressive. OJ rushed for 2000 yards in 14 games versus Davis, Lewis, and Peterson's 16 games.

Everyone knew Canseco was on steroids in the late 80's and we all laughed at him when he was going through his personal life issues like playing bumper cars with his Mercedes'.

I doubt it will happen, but I hope Harper gets a harsh suspension for his antics the other night.

Looks like you got your wish, Harper suspended for a game. Maybe you wanted more, but at least he was suspended.

I read that a couple years ago Ian Desmond was suspended 1 game for coming onto the field after a walkoff win after he was ejected. The suspension was overturned on appeal. He didn't yell at the ump like Harper did but I would not be surprised at all if his suspension was overturned. Especially since appealing a suspension is almost a guaranteed reduction in games anyway.

I would think technically he should be allowed on the field. Hes ejected from the game, not the stadium or the day. Once the game ends so should his ejection.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I would think technically he should be allowed on the field. Hes ejected from the game, not the stadium or the day. Once the game ends so should his ejection.

He went out onto the field and started cussing out the umpire. I don't think it was just because he went back onto the field.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the validity of the suspension will stand up due to the fact that he came back onto the field and was screaming obscenities at an umpire without provocation.

I think that's the part that the league is punishing, moreso than the "coming back onto the field"

Not a big fan of antics on the field either. But for some reason I don't mind Harper, (or TPlush for that matter) adding a little spice to the game.

I don't understand why so many people hate on players like Harper/Gomez. God forbid someone gets passionate about the game and tries to have fun. Seriously I want entertainment and guys wanting to win. I always hated the dislike for Gomez because he was passionate and wasn't a push over. You say something to him and he isn't backing down. We need more players like that who don't just strikeout and walk back to the dugout thinking about how it will effect their wallet.

I love the way Harper plays. It is exciting and it's great for the game. However, that does not mean I agree with his antics in this situation.

In regards to kids being influenced. I know everyone hates that when people say "What about the kids!" when it comes to athletes and their antics. Yes, absolutely, kids should be raised by parents not athletes and celebrities. However, most kids, no matter how well they are raised, are going to be influenced somewhat by pop culture and the athletes and celebrities they dream about playing like some day. Here is a quote from Harper himself:

"When you grow up and want to play the game of baseball, you pick that one guy you always want to be like," Harper told Yahoo Sports. "I want to be that guy for kids."

If you never tried to emulate a player's swing or other mannerisms as a kid then you are a rare baseball fan. I know that emulating athletic mannerisms is different than emulating a player's personality, but when kids "pick one guy they always want to be like" they sometimes have a hard time separating the two. Even if your are certain that if you raise your kid correctly they will never be influenced by others (athletes, celebrities, friends), I'm not sure how a parent watches what Harper did the other night (maybe while their kid is sitting in the same room) and says "Yeah, that's awesome! I agree with Harper...tell that umpire how you feel!" then turn to your kid and say.."Hey, that's not appropriate behavior. I better never see you do that". In no way am I perfect, but as a parent I tried my best to be consistent with how I behave, how I react to other's behaviors (adults or children), and how I raise my son. I never wanted him to get any mixed messages from me.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I am actually surprised Harper isn't getting more heat for what he said to the ump. Rajon Rondo got a lot of criticism for saying the same thing this season at a ref.

All I heard him say was an "F-You". Did he go beyond that? Rondo used homophobic slurs to belittle a ref.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The 20 strikeout record has always been one that surprises me. I would have expected some old-timey pitcher to strike-out all 27, or at least closer to it.

Old timey batters were all about making contact and grounding out weakly to the 2nd baseman. Contact was more important than power.

There's anecdotal evidence that some players had a lot of disdain for the new "power game" when they introduced the livelier ball in 1920, and swinging for the fences just wasn't a thing the way it is now.

https://www.detroitathletic.com/blog/2014/07/17/ty-cobb-showed-he-could-hit-home-runs-well-anyone/

Rangers promote Matt Bush.

Wow, who would have thought. 12 years ago he was the top pick in the draft - as a SS. Now he's getting the call at age 30 as a relief pitcher.

Guy had all sorts of alcohol related issues - even spent time in prison.

Rangers promote Matt Bush.

Wow, who would have thought. 12 years ago he was the top pick in the draft - as a SS. Now he's getting the call at age 30 as a relief pitcher.

Guy had all sorts of alcohol related issues - even spent time in prison.

Best of luck to him and I hope he can have some sort of career. His K rate is bonkers.

I know it's a super small sample size (13 IP, and only 43 batters faced) but Hector Rondon from the Cubs has a negative FIP. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Of the 43 batters he's faced, only four have reached base, and he's struck out 21 of them.

Came on here to post a random thought that Vin Scully is 88 years old..wow, I knew he was old, but 88!..and still sounds great!

However, as I was about to post I saw the last post and yes, hate to see anyone get hit in the head/face with a pitch, but it's not like pitchers get hit more in that area that position players. Long list of position players hit in the face with pitches...I don't think a pitcher getting hit in the face is reason for pitchers never batting. I personally would like to see the DH abolished, but I realize I'm in the minority and the opposite will probably happen eventually.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Came on here to post a random thought that Vin Scully is 88 years old..wow, I knew he was old, but 88!..and still sounds great!

However, as I was about to post I saw the last post and yes, hate to see anyone get hit in the head/face with a pitch, but it's not like pitchers get hit more in that area that position players. Long list of position players hit in the face with pitches...I don't think a pitcher getting hit in the face is reason for pitchers never batting. I personally would like to see the DH abolished, but I realize I'm in the minority and the opposite will probably happen eventually.

You are right about that long list, but I'd rather have a guy up there who has been training his entire life to be there. Just my opinion.

Archived