Brewer Fanatic

2016 Random MLB News & Notes Thread

I agree that the umps blew it (both the initial call & early exit from field) but it took Price 33 seconds (per Brian Kenny) to come out of the dugout & start looking to challenge the call. If he was paying any attention at all he would've been out of the dugout before Carpenter ever crossed home plate.

It was ridiculous that Price took that long to get out there. He should have done that immediately.

I'd say it's on the LF. He had the best view.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many idiots does it take to figure out you need to challenge a play? Bryan Price has played how many games at that stadium and he gets told every time right before the game the ground rules. What the heck was he doing going to the bathroom when the play happened? Then you have the LFer who apparently is no brighter and lastly you have the entire Reds dugout for failing to notify Price right away. I guess someone knew and finally said something, but any sensible person would have been sprinting across the dugout telling Price before Carpenter even made the turn for home.

I am just shocked this entire event happened from start to finish. I am shocked the umpire missed that call and shocked one of the two dozen people affiliated with the Reds didn't think to challenge for nearly a minute after it bounced over the wall.

Iván Nova was credited with a complete game for his 5[space][/space]1/3 innings of work.

I didn't realize that tie games could still occur because over the past few years, they've been suspended rather than replayed from the beginning. But I guess that when the decision is made not to complete the game, a tie is what you get.

This is the first tie to occur under the new rules; they used to be much more common.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How many idiots does it take to figure out you need to challenge a play? Bryan Price has played how many games at that stadium and he gets told every time right before the game the ground rules. What the heck was he doing going to the bathroom when the play happened? Then you have the LFer who apparently is no brighter and lastly you have the entire Reds dugout for failing to notify Price right away. I guess someone knew and finally said something, but any sensible person would have been sprinting across the dugout telling Price before Carpenter even made the turn for home.

I am just shocked this entire event happened from start to finish. I am shocked the umpire missed that call and shocked one of the two dozen people affiliated with the Reds didn't think to challenge for nearly a minute after it bounced over the wall.

The worst part it was the friggin' Cardinals. I just hate them. It's irrational - but I hate them.

The rule is dumb anyways. Umpires have to request a challenge after the 6th, unless you have a challenge. How dumb does that sound?

I did not know that and that is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard about replay. You'd think MLB replay was run by the government it is so inept.

The rule is dumb anyways. Umpires have to request a challenge after the 6th, unless you have a challenge. How dumb does that sound?

I did not know that and that is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard about replay. You'd think MLB replay was run by the government it is so inept.

To be fair, I read that was the rule on an espn article...so take it for what it's worth.

Ryan Howard completed his 5-year, $125M extension today (he'll get a $10M buyout for his 2017 option, but that's included in the $125M).

In that time, he had -4.4 bWAR and a -2.0 fWAR.

That's gotta be one of the worst, or maybe even the worst, investment of all time in baseball.

Ryan Howard completed his 5-year, $125M extension today (he'll get a $10M buyout for his 2017 option, but that's included in the $125M).

That's gotta be one of the worst, or maybe even the worst, investment of all time in baseball.

I know there are big-bodied guys that defy the normal rule that the type doesn't age well (David Ortiz is one)....but when will teams learn that giving these 250+ pound men these mammoth contracts that go well into their late 30's is NOT sound business?

The TV guys and Ueck talked a bit yesterday about how they need to tweak replay. In 2016 we have to have it but there has to be a way to improve it. I don't think have the manager stand there for a minute while his guys review it is a good system at all. I simply don't see why every league doesn't do the same as college football. HAve a guy watching the game and whenever he needs a couple seconds extra he can ping the home plate ump to give a second. If he watches it 4-5 times and it's not clear, move on. Should take under 30 seconds each time and it will eliminate this standing around looking at each other stuff.

Was looking at some BAL stuff last night & noticed that oft injured former top pick/prospect Dylan Bundy was on the last year of the MLB deal he signed after being drafted. That deal called for a 1.8 million salary in 2016 & it looks like after this year he has just over a year of service time.

So it would seem like he has two "minimum salary" seasons & then three years of Arbys before hitting free agency, assuming his arm hasn't fallen off. My question is about his salaries in 2017/18, is there a maximum BAL can cut his salary by since he's already above the minimum? Do min salary players have to get a small raise with more service time accrued? I know it's just a matter of a few million bucks either way but was curious since it is a fairly unique situation.

Prince Fielder has got to be right up there. At least Howard's contract was not nearly as much and he was at least able to finish, or at least well, stumble to the end of his contract.

To the Tigers' credit at least they were able to pass along some of Prince's contract to someone else before it was too late.

Was looking at some BAL stuff last night & noticed that oft injured former top pick/prospect Dylan Bundy was on the last year of the MLB deal he signed after being drafted. That deal called for a 1.8 million salary in 2016 & it looks like after this year he has just over a year of service time.

So it would seem like he has two "minimum salary" seasons & then three years of Arbys before hitting free agency, assuming his arm hasn't fallen off. My question is about his salaries in 2017/18, is there a maximum BAL can cut his salary by since he's already above the minimum? Do min salary players have to get a small raise with more service time accrued? I know it's just a matter of a few million bucks either way but was curious since it is a fairly unique situation.

I think the 20% pay cut rule would apply.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Prince Fielder has got to be right up there. At least Howard's contract was not nearly as much and he was at least able to finish, or at least well, stumble to the end of his contract.

To the Tigers' credit at least they were able to pass along some of Prince's contract to someone else before it was too late.

If insurance pays a large part of the Fielder contract (and I admit that I don't know if it does), then I'd say the Howard contract was worse. By *not* playing, Fielder is doing the Rangers a favor, and letting someone else who can potentially provide positive value on the field get in the game.

Howard was not only costing huge sums of money, he was providing negative value by simply playing.

If insurance pays a large part of the Fielder contract (and I admit that I don't know if it does), then I'd say the Howard contract was worse. By *not* playing, Fielder is doing the Rangers a favor, and letting someone else who can potentially provide positive value on the field get in the game.

Howard was not only costing huge sums of money, he was providing negative value by simply playing.

The Fielder contract was definitely not good, but he did play well for three seasons, so he wasn't awful like Howard for his entire contract. And as noted, there is insurance on the Fielder's remaining contract. Plus the Tigers are picking up some of the cost as part of the trade with Texas three years ago. I read that the contract is paid out as follows (annually from 2017-2020):

$9M from Texas

$6M from Detroit

$9M from insurance

So the Rangers paid Prince $54M over the last three years (2014-16), plus will add in $36M over the next four years. That totals $90M for at total of 0.3 bWAR. Not quite as bad as Howard's totals.

Detroit, by the way, paid Prince $76M ($23M annually from 2012-13, and $6M a year from 2014-2020). He had 7.6 bWAR in his two years - so at least he did something positive - even if he was overpaid for it.

The history of the shift.

I did not know about this.

Hmmm, only two umpires? Mike Hegan's dad catching?

Yep, Jim Hegan was a very good backstop in his own right.

Mike (may he RIP) grew up in Cleveland and went to St. Ignatius HS on the near west side of town. That school has produced a handful of professional athletes playing now- Derek Dietrich (Marlins), Brian Hoyer (QB Bears), and Jake Ryan (LB Packers). Dave Ragone (coach on Bears staff) is another grad of the school as is Larry Dolan (owner Cleveland Indians).

Archived