Brewer Fanatic

2016-04-06 Giants (Samardzija) at Brewers (Jungmann), 12:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-3; avoid 0-162 season]

1992casey

Just tuning in and a couple thoughts:

The new radio announcer seems much more pleasing to listen to than Joe Block was for me.

I could have written up a dozen different lineups and I don't think any of them would have Domingo Santana batting first. Never would have guessed that.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't care what anyone says Domingo Santana does not have this oh so great defense everyone likes to think he has. Strong arm? Sure. Everything else in his defensive game is pretty questionable though. It isn't bad by any means, but it doesn't really stand out as something notable.

I think the key in all of this was "compared to Khris Davis"

Many have been praising his defense here with no comparison to Khris Davis.

Interesting. Khris Davis' defense was pretty terribad. I think a lot (not all) of the talk of Santana's defense was that he would be an upgrade from Davis in that department. IIRC, Davis had the worst ranked throwing arm of all outfielders in MLB last year. I think his release velocity was less than like 77 mph. Obviously defense is more than just throwing arm, but that's just absolutely atrocious.

That being said, I think Santana will probably be around 'Average" in the outfield (which again, will be an upgrade from Davis). Davis was -1.1 DWAR last year, -.2 the year before, and -.4 the year before that (partial year), so whatever the "eye test" says, the numbers say he's just not good out there.

Each spot in the batting order gets 19-ish more plate appearances per season than the spot before it.…

I think that's a good general point that's significant but doesn't necessarily trump everything else. As an example, lineup gurus tell us that the #5 hitter should be better than the #3 hitter because the #3 hitter comes to the plate with 2 out and nobody on more than anyone else. So besides the number of plate appearances, the leverage of those plate appearances comes into play.

In the case of the pitcher hitting 8 vs. 9, I think the neutralization occurs because the starting pitcher is likely to be replaced in the batting order and that at least two plate appearances in his spot will be made by guys with at least a modicum of hitting ability.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Just tuning in and a couple thoughts:

The new radio announcer seems much more pleasing to listen to than Joe Block was for me.

I could have written up a dozen different lineups and I don't think any of them would have Domingo Santana batting first. Never would have guessed that.

I like Santana batting first. I have always liked high OBP, good power guys hitting leadoff. A homerun is a nice way to start the game!

Also, strikeouts matter less for your leadoff guy, even moreso than anyone else. Nobody is on base, so the "productive out" isn't in play at that point anyways.

I am guessing he is there for the same reason Rickie Weeks was there back in his prime...when you can take pitches, have speed, and have an OBP% .100 points higher than your average you are the prime person for that spot. Its just one of those things where he also has power. Do you drop him in the order because of that or keep him at top for his good top of the order skills. For now it looks like Santana will stay at the top.

Each spot in the batting order gets 19-ish more plate appearances per season than the spot before it.…

I think that's a good general point that's significant but doesn't necessarily trump everything else. As an example, lineup gurus tell us that the #5 hitter should be better than the #3 hitter because the #3 hitter comes to the plate with 2 out and nobody on more than anyone else. So besides the number of plate appearances, the leverage of those plate appearances comes into play.

In the case of the pitcher hitting 8 vs. 9, I think the neutralization occurs because the starting pitcher is likely to be replaced in the batting order and that at least two plate appearances in his spot will be made by guys with at least a modicum of hitting ability.

Many times that pinch hitter will come in with a platoon advantage as well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I certainly agree that "number of at bats" shouldn't be the only consideration. I guess (which I should have said in my initial post on this point) this just feels like tinkering for the sake of doing it. It's entirely possible CC has a reasoning for doing it this way, and the reasoning is sound, it just doesn't *feel* like it. It just feels like doing something different *just because*

Lucroy. Man oh man. Come on dude. Hit so we can get rid of you and your lousy attitude.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Thatta way Carter! Finally get a run in from 3rd with less than two outs. Brewers lead 4-3!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It is too small of a sample size but Flores just doesn't do it for me. Maybe he'll grow on me but he just seems meh.

Blazek gives up two loooooooong fly ball outs that I'm not sure if Uecker knew were going to stay in our not. Scary listening on the radio sometimes.

I thought it was apparent that the ball would stay in. But it wasn't necessarily apparent that it would be caught. It was a nice play by Flores.

Jeez, I hope Jungmann isn't hurt. Getting pulled after 80 pitches seems weird.

If Counsel's thinking, "well we have an off day tomorrow, everyone in the pen is available, and with just 4 starters, lets limit Jungmann's innings", I think it's wrongheaded.

Or, it's Jungmann's 1st start to the season. The Avg SP pitch count their first start is likely 14-21pitches less than what will be their Season avg. It's why I'm not a fan of Spring Training starts going 1-2IP the first and maybe second starts in spring. You are so cautious that you just don't ramp them up to go 100-115pitches that first start. Any SP pulled in the 1st 2 starts that would be earlier than expected, I just look at it as being on a pitch limit. When Start 3 happens, then you can start calling out the manager on his SP pulling.

I was watching the CBS Gametracker on my phone during the 2nd or 3rd inning. Jungmann was throwing his FB at 89 MPH, which was rather surprising. I thought last year he was sitting in the 92-94 MPH range?

Anyone else see that?

Jungmann being taken out was the smart move. He has to have some sort of pitch limit for the season and it was his first start of the year.

Good pair of games to end the series. Looking better than I expected.

Craig said that Jungmann was working hard and that he considered "5 innings, 80 pitches, and how you get to those 80 pitches."

Archived