Brewer Fanatic

Peña DFA; LHP Sam Freeman acquired (Latest: Peña accepts AAA assignment; post 38)

DHonks
I don't know what Pena has ever done that has everyone up in arms that we might lose him.

I agree, he is at best pretty ordinary. I assume its because he is what we have left from Grienke.

Personally, I will count the Grienke trade as incomplete regardless. I thought Hellweg was the better pitching prospect and it seems he was coming on when he got hurt. Just the same as I wouldn't have counted the Grienke trade as automatically a win even if Grienke got hurt the next time he pitched for the Angels. Unless a player that is traded has an injury history, that seems out of a teams control, when judging a trade down the line.

Especially this year. Pena wasn't much of a prospect but his resurgence at the end of last year always gives a glimmer of hope for the guy. But then he got one shot (or not even really that as it seems they decided before he pitched) and was replaced by a complete non-prospect.

One thing I've learned as I've gotten deeper into coaching and in talking to former pros is that there is so much going on behind the scenes that we never know about, especially with pitchers and their arm health. I don't have any inside info w/ the Brewers at all, no contacts there but it is entirely possible that some of Pena's struggles and perceived "lack of chances" has more to do with an elbow or shoulder not being 100% than any sort of organizational politics.

It really is somewhat stunning what pro pitchers go through to try to be healthy enough to compete. Read Jeff Passan's new book "The Arm" for additional insight

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I know it's not a lot of samples to go on so far but it seems like Stearns is more into control pitchers while Melvin was bigger on velocity. That would make guys like Pena less attractive to the team now.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I know it's not a lot of samples to go on so far but it seems like Stearns is more into control pitchers while Melvin was bigger on velocity. That would make guys like Pena less attractive to the team now.

Both Freeman and Pena have control issues. As for velocity, Pena is in the lower 90's, not high 90's.

Both Freeman and Pena have control issues. As for velocity, Pena is in the lower 90's, not high 90's.

I'm not really comparing the two as much as I am looking at why Pena was given no chance at all this season. While I get Freeman isn't much better I think the reason they traded for him is he is left handed, didn't cost any players and they really didn't like Pena very much. Why they didn't like him I think boils down to control being something of a priority.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Can't keep giving guys one appearance and shuffling them out the door. Let the guy settle in a bit, or you never get a good look at anyone. Way to reactionary people.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Freeman was uh...less than impressive in his debut tonight. Next?

2.61 ERA in 2013 in 44 appearances for St. Louis

3.05 ERA in 2014 in 54 appearances for Texas.

Pretty much a K an inning, WHIP around 1.4. He was brutal last night but the body of work seems legit. I'd hold off for now on calling for his head.

I'm not sure a WHIP over 1.4 is exactly what you want coming out of your bullpen, velocity is fine, control is questionable. Maybe he'll come around, but there was a reason this guy was available...

If they jettison him because of one lousy outing, they're out of their minds. Which I don't think they are.

I mean, didn't they just do that with Pena?

No. They have had Pena in the system for years and pretty much know what he is capable of, and he is a fringe bullpen guy. And if you read earlier in the thread it sounds like the Brewers were in talks to acquire Freeman before Pena had his one outing, so that probably had little consequence on the decision to drop from the 25 man.

If they jettison him because of one lousy outing, they're out of their minds. Which I don't think they are.

No. They have had Pena in the system for years and pretty much know what he is capable of, and he is a fringe bullpen guy. And if you read earlier in the thread it sounds like the Brewers were in talks to acquire Freeman before Pena had his one outing, so that probably had little consequence on the decision to drop from the 25 man.

I'm going to disagree. If Pena doesn't blow up against the Giants, he's still on the roster. They're not DFAing him if he goes 3 scoreless innings whether they acquired Freeman or not.

As Roderick said, I don't think Pena's lousy outing had a direct impact on Pena being taken off the roster. If he had struck out 14 guys over 4 innings or something, that probably would have made them reconsider. But I'm guessing if he has a normal scoreless outing, or doesn't pitch at all, he's still gone.

As Roderick said, I don't think Pena's lousy outing had a direct impact on Pena being taken off the roster. If he had struck out 14 guys over 4 innings or something, that probably would have made them reconsider. But I'm guessing if he has a normal scoreless outing, or doesn't pitch at all, he's still gone.

If he did that he would have instantly become ace of the staff and pitching coach.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Archived