Brewer Fanatic

Garza to DL; Cravy recalled

1992casey

From JSOnline:

Brewers place Matt Garza on DL; recall Tyler Cravy

Matt's DL placement is retroactive to April 2.

Tom points out that Tyler wasn't stretched out as a starter in camp. When a fifth starter is needed, Zach Davies will likely get the call.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think they'd like to keep Zach starting on schedule until he's needed in Milwaukee. If he spends less than 20 days in the minors, he'll get the service time anyway unless he's sent down again.

It's a good point that Garza will be able to return on the 17th and calling up Davies might not be necessary. To have that happen, Matt would likely need to do a rehab start in the minors before then.

Mass Haas pointed out above that Zach's schedule won't need to be adjusted; he's conveniently already scheduled to start on the 17th.

It was remote, but this pretty much cements that Garza isn't going to vest his option of 110 starts in four years.

Which should also help his already minuscule trade value.

Shortening his window to impress anyone isn't good for his trade value, nor is a sore shoulder issue. Teams already would need to weigh what he shows this year vs. his horrible 2015 performance. If that's only a dozen starts as opposed to 15 or 16, it's hard to justify taking on any reasonable portion of his contract for this year and next.

It was remote, but this pretty much cements that Garza isn't going to vest his option of 110 starts in four years.

Which should also help his already minuscule trade value.

Shortening his window to impress anyone isn't good for his trade value, nor is a sore shoulder issue. Teams already would need to weigh what he shows this year vs. his horrible 2015 performance. If that's only a dozen starts as opposed to 15 or 16, it's hard to justify taking on any reasonable portion of his contract for this year and next.

shortening his window prevents yet another year on his contract from vesting... which if anyone trading for Garza is concerned on his health should be delighted by knowing that he wont vest.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

props to anyone who had April 5th in the "Date Matt Garza goes on the DL" pool!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I was so jazzed about this signing when it occurred...Garza has been such an overwhelming disappointment in Milwaukee.

Here's to hoping that he's the last aging, FA pitcher we have to sign to a multi-year deal. It's so nice to finally have legitimate starting pitching coming up through the minors.

Only thing disappointing about this is that Davies prob gets call over Lopez. Like Davies but I'm a big Lopez fan! Davies will always be that back end crafty guy. Lopez could be a Yo type pitcher

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

yeah, the door will be open for Davies/Lopez in a week or two to help with the 5th spot

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Only thing disappointing about this is that Davies prob gets call over Lopez. Like Davies but I'm a big Lopez fan! Davies will always be that back end crafty guy. Lopez could be a Yo type pitcher

Which is exactly why you burn Davies' service clock this year instead of Lopez. Plus Davies already "succeeded" at AAA level. Lopez really just broke out last year (or maybe 1/2 year prior). So another solid year in the minors is worthwhile.

Just give Cravy the start and don't bother bringing up him until you save him the service time to get another year out of him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I highly doubt either Davies or Lopez get the call unless it is for extended time. Calling one up for a start or two would be extremely pointless. Just let someone spot start. We have Cravy and Capuano just to name a few.

Garza might be out until the middle of May. Definitely going to be more than a start or two needed from someone.

And I agree, Davies makes a lot more sense than Lopez.

Edit: Steve Matz was out about 7 weeks with his lat issue last year. Garza may not have the tear Matz did, but Garza did miss time last year with shoulder tendinitis, which makes me wonder if the two injuries are connected in some way. I wouldn't bet on the under for the 4-6 week time frame.

Just give Cravy the start and don't bother bringing up him until you save him the service time to get another year out of him.

I doubt he'd be here long enough to lose a year of service time.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived