Brewer Fanatic

2016 Milwaukee Brewers Positive Post Thread

pacopete4

I looked up Ryan Braun's rankings today and everything was pretty impressive. Top 5 or Top 10 in basically every batting category.

However I had to laugh at the 3 names ahead of him in the NL batting average race.

Martin Prado (Pretty mediocre player overall; but solid)

Aledmyz Diaz (*** - Of course he plays for the Cardinals; he also leads the league in OPS as a SS. Frickin ridiculous)

Daniel Murphy - (See Prado)

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats to Junior Guerra earning his first win in the majors at the age of 31. Pretty awesome story. Keep pumping those strikes.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member
Leicester City, which was 5,000 to 1 prior to the season, clinched the English Premier League soccer championship!

If it can happen in soccer, it can happen in baseball!

Watching the match Sunday, I chuckled when the announcer described Leicester as a "collection of cast-offs and late bloomers". Kinda describes another club we know.

Who doesn't think Chris Carter would be a blast to see (and a favorite) in the HR derby?

With the likes of Goldschmidt, Rizzo, and others he faces an uphill battle to get named an AS but if he keeps up this pace, who knows?

Yeah, it is pretty unlikely that he would be a selection. He will have to keep on the pace he is right now until the all-star break to get in. But yes, I would love to see him swat away in a home run derby.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Who doesn't think Chris Carter would be a blast to see (and a favorite) in the HR derby?

With the likes of Goldschmidt, Rizzo, and others he faces an uphill battle to get named an AS but if he keeps up this pace, who knows?

I was at Spring Training this year and watched Carter take BP. I believe he hit 12 of 13 out and the other was a line drive that didn't get high enough to go out. It was unbelievably impressive. As you mentioned, doubt he makes the team, but if he does, he would be my bet to win the derby (if gambling was legal of course).

Kudos to Guerra for finally being someone other than Nelson who looked competent starting a game. He was efficient, and mostly effective. Amazing that it took a 31 year old rookie who's spent most of his career in indy leagues and winter ball in Venezuela, but he wasn't in over his head.

I was at Spring Training this year and watched Carter take BP. I believe he hit 12 of 13 out and the other was a line drive that didn't get high enough to go out. It was unbelievably impressive. As you mentioned, doubt he makes the team, but if he does, he would be my bet to win the derby (if gambling was legal of course).

I saw him take BP in Biloxi. They have a screen that goes up probably 30-40 feet above the left field fence to protect the street just beyond the fence. Carter was routinely mashing the ball over that screen causing pedestrians to scatter. I agree that "Unbelievably impressive" is a good way to describe it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Here is a stretch that could be very telling of our season. 8 games against the Reds and Padres with a three game series with the Marlins in between. 11 game stretch where we could see ourselves play above .500 ball and if we don't it will be really telling as to how this season will play itself out for this ball club. They have been playing better as of late, hopefully that will spring board into this stretch of games before seeing the Cubbies again.

We have a ton of players contending for an All Star bid:

Ryan Braun(pretty much a lock)

Chris Carter(HR Derby PLEASE)

Jonathan Lucroy

Jimmy Nelson

The top two have good shots, Lucroy needs to start hitting for more power to really lock in his bid, and Nelson probably will regress away from All Star production. We can always hope though!

We went to the game on Sunday against the Marlins - Carter hit 2 HRs (doesn't he do that every game?). I hadn't seen him in person yet, and his homers seemed so effortless. It didn't look like he swung that hard, yet the balls left the park. I've heard Rock say he thinks that Bernie's slide is in jeopardy - and I think he's right. Seeing how he is hitting now, no one is missing KD and you have to wonder how Houston let this guy go so easily. Braun was pretty much the only part of the offense that worked last year, until KD started coming on at the end of the year. Braun is even better this year, but others are contributing big time. Lucroy has been mashing the ball - even if he's not getting the extra base hits, those will come. This latest offensive surge has been without Scooter, and he was hitting really well. Aaron Hill has been superb defensively wherever he has played, and his batting average is going north. The last 4 games the starters have actually done their job, so hopefully that trend will continue. Sure - this team may not be a world-beater, but it's competitive and fun to watch!

Jonathan Lucroy

Jimmy Nelson

The top two have good shots, Lucroy needs to start hitting for more power to really lock in his bid, and Nelson probably will regress away from All Star production. We can always hope though!

You left off JJ. Perfect in saves so far, if he can keep that up (and get enough opportunities) he would be a shoe-in.

Jonathan Lucroy

Jimmy Nelson

You left off JJ. Perfect in saves so far, if he can keep that up (and get enough opportunities) he would be a shoe-in.

His stats really aren't that good though. Then again 3/4 of his ER came in one outing so maybe a tad harsh in the big picture.

I did put Nelson on there and Jeffress has just as good of a chance I guess.

Our two major trade chips are doing good so far(Braun/Lucroy). Jeffress has also done pretty good and they shouldn't be afraid to trade him either if a nice offer comes in. So at least our big prospect getters are doing well in the early season struggles.

If we had anything close to an average rotation we would probably be around a .500 ball club.

The rest of the team seeks to be in respectable shape right now. CF is a pretty big hole, but otherwise, the IF looks okay, and will look better with Arcia.

We could get by with a much shorter rebuild if we had any promising starting pitching in the pipeline, but it's mostly just more question marks.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
After last night, the Brewers are 7th in Baseball in scoring behind only 1AL team. DH must not be doing well in the AL this season.

In a really odd flip (though it's still early in the season) the AL OPS is .713, while the NL OPS is .735.

The Brewers have a .745 OPS as a team, which is nice to see. Largely due to being 4th in the NL in walks.

Yeah, it is pretty unlikely that he would be a selection. He will have to keep on the pace he is right now until the all-star break to get in. But yes, I would love to see him swat away in a home run derby.

Unlikely? Right now he would be a lock. Has been one of the Top 3 in all of baseball at 1B so far. Now whether or not he can keep this pace or slightly below it for two more months is obviously questionable, but then again I am surprised he has stayed hot this long. I would say he has a decent shot at an All Star bid.

That being said that has nothing to do with the home run derby as they changed the rule to allow non all stars to be selected. Yoenis Cespedes took part in 2013 despite not being an all star selection. Unless it has been changed back to the old rules he doesn't need to be an all star.

Unlikely? Right now he would be a lock. Has been one of the Top 3 in all of baseball at 1B so far. Now whether or not he can keep this pace or slightly below it for two more months is obviously questionable, but then again I am surprised he has stayed hot this long. I would say he has a decent shot at an All Star bid.

That being said that has nothing to do with the home run derby as they changed the rule to allow non all stars to be selected. Yoenis Cespedes took part in 2013 despite not being an all star selection. Unless it has been changed back to the old rules he doesn't need to be an all star.

Sure but the other two are Rizzo from the Cubs and Belt from the Giants. Working for Carter is the fact the Brewers need a representative and Braun has a great deal of antipathy from the league office, Lucroy may not be a Brewer by the All Star game and Gennett has missed significant time. Working against Carter are the facts that Goldschmidt and Votto are likely to start hitting more and have name recognition (ignoring the debate is the All Star for truly the best players or the best half season) and the Braves only real notable position player is Freeman.

Verified Member

Sure but the other two are Rizzo from the Cubs and Belt from the Giants. Working for Carter is the fact the Brewers need a representative and Braun has a great deal of antipathy from the league office, Lucroy may not be a Brewer by the All Star game and Gennett has missed significant time. Working against Carter are the facts that Goldschmidt and Votto are likely to start hitting more and have name recognition (ignoring the debate is the All Star for truly the best players or the best half season) and the Braves only real notable position player is Freeman.

Right now Braun is the team rep, no doubt about it. It would take him falling off a cliff or getting injured to not be.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Yea Braun made it last year with far less stats and his past was a non-story as he was probably one of like 10 other PED linked people there. Heck, this year will probably be a Big Papi slurpfest and he's a PED guy too (back when they actually used real steroids too).

Archived