Brewer Fanatic

2016 Milwaukee Brewers Positive Post Thread

pacopete4

It's great to see that Thornburg has his velocity back, but he turns 28 this season, and hits arby next year. If the Brewers plan on putting him in the rotation (which I don't think they are), then they are running out of time to do it. I think his path is leading to set-up guy/closer more than to the rotation, and that's fine.

As to Peralta, I think he'll have a very long "leash" as a starter this year. He's already in his first arby year, so he's likely to be a trade candidate this year or next off-season as the young guys continue to advance. If he can show himself to be even a middle-of-the-rotation starter, he has a decent amount of value, but a non-closing reliever who's going to get a raise from his $2.8M going into his second year of arby is pretty much worthless on the trade market. He's had a bad first two games, but there's plenty of reason to believe that he'll settle down and prove himself to be a capable MLB starter, and that's the best case for the Brewers' future.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Domingo Santana with a .355 OBP to start the season

Scooter Gennett looking better than ever

Jimmy Nelson looking like a real deal MLB starter

Jeffress looking strong

Villar with a .423 OBP, looking good in the field and at the very least the Super Utility guy of the future

Yadiel Rivera making the most of his opportunities

There is a lot to be excited about with the start of this season

Oh, and in the first 5 games of AAA ball: Arcia is hitting .300 w/ a .364 OBP

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Domingo Santana with a .355 OBP to start the season

Scooter Gennett looking better than ever

Jimmy Nelson looking like a real deal MLB starter

Jeffress looking strong

Villar with a .423 OBP, looking good in the field and at the very least the Super Utility guy of the future

Yadiel Rivera making the most of his opportunities

There is a lot to be excited about with the start of this season

Oh, and in the first 5 games of AAA ball: Arcia is hitting .300 w/ a .364 OBP

If mentioning Arcia, don't forget to mention Michael Reed as he is on an absolute tear right now! Flores & Broxton better remove heads soon otherwise they could find there way out of the job. Actually Flores is probably safe due to no more options and his approach at the plate. Broxton simply can't make contact right now. Hopefully Reed's muscle growth hasn't completely removed him from being able to play some CF

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

This team offensively is a Phillips and an Arcia away from being contenders!

Yes, this is a positive post thread. And Yes, the current FO is doing a good job with the rebuild so far.

But come on!!! The Brewers are further away then those 2 pieces.

Although they are winning games now, I feel confident that the Reds will crash back very hard and end up in last place with roughly 105 loses this season...

With no/little expectations compared to the last couple of years, it frees my mindset going from worrying about losses to enjoying wins. Also, I think the Brewers are going to surprise alot of people and win more than the other teams think.

This team offensively is a Phillips and an Arcia away from being contenders!

Yes, this is a positive post thread. And Yes, the current FO is doing a good job with the rebuild so far.

But come on!!! The Brewers are further away then those 2 pieces.

Although they are winning games now, I feel confident that the Reds will crash back very hard and end up in last place with roughly 105 loses this season...

Add Nottingham, Lopez, Davies and Hader and we have ourselves a playoff push.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yeah I really don't care where they put Wily, if they aren't going to give him the ability to pitch to Maldy, his effective career is over. I will never understand no matter how good Lucroy is, why they stopped Peralta & Maldondo always being paired. If you need Luc's bat, put him at 1B for the game. Maldy is only one who will get Wily back on track. He has pitched to him all through minors, when he first came up, and that connection just works for Wily.

I don't move Thornburg back to rotation. We have plenty of young arms to fill in there. Thornburg is proving himself as a late inning guy. Closing out games is just as important as starting them. Need guys like Thornburg who will get job done.

There is absolutely no evidence for this. Peralta is the same mediocre pitcher whether Lucroy or Moldonado is catching. Baseball-reference has splits by catcher and its is basically the same. A 99 OPS+ with Lucroy in 265.1 innings and a 100 OPS+ with Moldonado in 257.2 innings The ERA is different but that is likely more due to the CS% with Lucroy at a mediocre 18% but Moldonado at a unlikely to continue 55%.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=peralwi01&year=Career&t=p

Peralta is easy to figure out. He can't control his off speed stuff and so his fastball get hammered. Its why you think about moving him to the bullpen.

In a way, this is like watching a minor league team - young players that you hope will one day be great major league stars. They went through this process in Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Houston - painful and slow, but ultimately worth it. I think the Brewers picked the right guy in Stearns to be the architect, now we as fans just have to be patient.

8 games in, still .500. Getting much harder to reach that 100 losses many predicted.

Three people predicted it in the predictions thread. Many more said they would win 70+ than they would lose 100. In fact, you predicted 94 losses, one of the higher loss totals in that thread.

8 games in, still .500. Getting much harder to reach that 100 losses many predicted.

Three people predicted it in the predictions thread. Many more said they would win 70+ than they would lose 100. In fact, you predicted 94 losses, one of the higher totals in that thread.

Wasn't speaking specifically for this site, a lot of analysts on TV said this team would just be awful.

I also said we were more likely to be .500 than lose 100 games in the thread about it. That might seem counter intuitive but I think we will trade as much as we can which will force us to 90+ losses but if we cant' find trade partners i think the team has constructed is more like a mid to high 70 win team that just takes a bit of luck to hit .500.

Keep that negative crap outta here!

We're .500 thru 8 and we are playing some pretty solid baseball. Some horrible loses but they've bounced back twice to play good games the following day. Really nice to see. Fun season so far.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We have a ridiculous amount of SS depth. Villar, Rivera, Arcia, Diaz, Betancourt. Literally every level of the organization has a competent SS that can hit and field. That's kind of nuts.

Also I am all in on the Santana bandwagon. His progression will be huge towards deciding when this team will be true contenders again.

How good could our bullpen be once Smith gets back? Thornburg and Jeffress have been lights out and Blazek has been solid.

Really a ton of stuff to be exciting about so far both in Milwaukee and in the minors.

This is fun you guys. This is fun. I hope they continue to be competitive, well, just because it is fun!

Archived