Brewer Fanatic

2016 Milwaukee Brewers Positive Post Thread

pacopete4
3-3 is a solid start. This is a tough April schedule. The pitching is better than many people give credit to, especially given that Wily has thus far been our weak link. With Davies coming up next weekend, the rotation becomes stronger. I haven't looked at the statistics thus far, although I have a feeling they are--at least thus far--telling a story of an improved offense.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be even more optimistic if Will Smith and Corey knebel hadn't gotten injured. Will Smith is a few months right? What about knebel? Replace freeman and someone else with those two and the bullpen is a definite strength.

Does the LCL heal itself? I wonder if it's possible for him to attempt strengthening the knee and nearby muscles, wear a brace during the season, then have surgery (if necessary) in the offseason.

I've generally been pretty happy with the team so far. I don't expect 90 wins, but if they can keep playing solid baseball, I'm good with that. I've especially been impressed with the approach at the plate. It seems like they are making a serious effort to work the count, take walks, and improve their OBP. Many of the players have already shown that they are talented enough to play at this level, its just a matter of consistency and making adjustments to the pitchers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewers have drawn 26 walks in the first five games, good enough for 4th most in the league. Last year at this time they had drawn 10.

This is a huge improvement, and it's indicative of the type of players we've acquired to some degree. I don't think they'll average five walks per game (obviously), but I definitely don't think this is just an early season aberration. I think this is the type of players they have.

Astros broadcast team that includes former major league catcher Alan Ashby were extremely impressed with Thornburg, more so than Jeffress. Now with the need in the pen more critical, it appears that's where Thornburg stays, but he's using all his pitches now, much like he did as a starter the last couple months of 2013 when he was really effective. Maybe he and Peralta could switch roles at some point? Wily isn't commanding all his pitches. In short relief he could probably hit 97-98 with his fastball which might be enough.

Blazek is looking good too.

This team is fun to watch. I know leadership gets the short end of the stick in statistical analysis, but something has caused a big change in this team's approach. Counsell was a very patient hitter, so he could be a positive influence on this, and not having a team leader like Gomez swinging out of his shoes with two strikes and a runner in scoring position probably helps as well. They have faced some good pitching to start this season, and have held their own, largely because they're laying off of pitches out of the zone, allowing them to get better pitches to hit, while running up pitch counts. Hopefully this will be the standard throughout the system.

Whatever the cause, it's nice to see a disciplined team on the field. That certainly hasn't been the case in Milwaukee for years.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think you can really see CC's style and philosophy setting in. It is not often you see many AB's from this team that leave you scratching your head or making you frustrated. Up and down the roster, regardless as to if they are hitting, guys are at least putting a great effort in at the plate and making a pitcher earn their outs and k's. Even Broxton who has seemed most over matched is having quality AB's. He just lacks contact skills like Carter which lead to high amount of K's late in ABs. Still not an easy out though. That is very encouraging.

Rivera is going to force CC's hand to find ways to get hom on the field. If it wasn't for Hill's outstanding defense so far, Rivera could very well be stealing time at 3B. He has had impressive ABs the last few games and man, he is constantly improving. From how raw he was, he has come a long way and is starting to show he is an MLB player.

I think this team is getting a very bad rap. (Not on here but outside of the forum) The 12-3 loss to start the season kind of justified everyone's thoughts that this team is a 100 lose, who cares about them type team. The stands were pretty bare this weekend for an opening weekend series. Even if weather was not great. Outside of that 1st game, Brewers have won 3 out of 5 and been in striking distance with a chance in their two loses. These are two playoff contenders we faced and we play 5 really good games. Hopefully we can keep it going against the Cards and snag at leas 2 more and people start to take notice. If we can go 6-4 or even 5-5 over the next 10 against Cards, Pirates, and Twins I think we are in great shape for the month going into the Phillies, Cubs, and Marlins. Just avoid sweeps is the biggest factor. I can see them finishing month 11-13 or 12-12 realistically!

In May they have 18 games against Reds (7), Marlins (4), Braves (3), Padres (4). That is plenty of possible wins in there. By June, this team could still be hanging around .500 and hopefully fans will start to get excited for teams progress and show up. Remember, more attendance equals more money to save for us to retain our own guys when the time comes. We need to be able to keep some of the stars we produce.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I think you can really see CC's style and philosophy setting in. It is not often you see many AB's from this team that leave you scratching your head or making you frustrated. Up and down the roster, regardless as to if they are hitting, guys are at least putting a great effort in at the plate and making a pitcher earn their outs and k's. Even Broxton who has seemed most over matched is having quality AB's. He just lacks contact skills like Carter which lead to high amount of K's late in ABs. Still not an easy out though. That is very encouraging.

I think the change is more the players than coaching. Coles was with this team all of last year and Craig was managing for almost the full season. Getting rid of Segura and Gomez who blindly hacked at anything and everything makes a big difference too.

I don't know about "forcing Counsell's hand" but Rivera will see some playing time here and there. I suspect the plan is for him to go down when Arcia comes up, and get regular work for a couple months, then return, quite possibly at 3B, if they can deal Hill at the deadline. In the meantime, I think we'll see a lot of the present lineup. Hill brings a veteran presence in the infield and though he hasn't really started hitting.

I see some shades of the 1992 Brewers in this team though and that's a good thing. That team had a young SS in Listach, a nice mix of veteran under 30 starters with youthful arms like Navarro, Bones and eventually Eldred and got good use out of a guy like Scott Fletcher, and they had some bullpen pieces that performed well.

By the time it is time for Arcia to come up (either in September or next season) we will know whether or not Rivera is in the plans for this Brewers organization. It is a nice start for him and hope it continues. If he reverts back to a subpar bat, he might have a chance to stick as a utility guy based on his defense.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think the change is more the players than coaching. Coles was with this team all of last year and Craig was managing for almost the full season. Getting rid of Segura and Gomez who blindly hacked at anything and everything makes a big difference too.

Can never judge a manager when he comes in during the middle of a season. This is his first real season and off-season. I agree with it having to do with the players they have brought in as well but we have seen better AB's from the guys who have been on this team and in this system as well. Scooter is going to have more walks by May 1st than he did all last season. That is realistic. Now it is sad that he waled that few of times last season but great that he is starting to change his approach a little bit. I hope this is a whole organization emphasis. I could only image how great Arcia could be if we started to walk a little bit (10% clip would be great imo)

Walks have been great! (Since this is the positive forum I will not discuss the K%)

Through 6 games BB%

Maldy 25%

Villar 22.7%

Walsh 20%

Gennett 18.2%

Santana 14.8%

Rivera 14.3%

Carter 12.5%

Braun 12.5%

Broxton 12.5%

Lucroy 10%

- - - - - - - - - -

Black sheep of the club

Aaron Hill 4.8%

Ramon Flores 0%

Kirk Niuwenhuis 0%

Can never judge a manager when he comes in during the middle of a season. This is his first real season and off-season. I agree with it having to do with the players they have brought in as well but we have seen better AB's from the guys who have been on this team and in this system as well. Scooter is going to have more walks by May 1st than he did all last season. That is realistic. Now it is sad that he waled that few of times last season but great that he is starting to change his approach a little bit. I hope this is a whole organization emphasis. I could only image how great Arcia could be if we started to walk a little bit (10% clip would be great imo)

Walks have been great! (Since this is the positive forum I will not discuss the K%)

Through 6 games BB%

Maldy 25%

Villar 22.7%

Walsh 20%

Gennett 18.2%

Santana 14.8%

Rivera 14.3%

Carter 12.5%

Braun 12.5%

Broxton 12.5%

Lucroy 10%

- - - - - - - - - -

Black sheep of the club

Aaron Hill 4.8%

Ramon Flores 0%

Kirk Niuwenhuis 0%

Not trying to say that I'm right or wrong about coaches making the difference but 5 of the top 10 are new or newish (Santana) to the organization. And I understand that the bottom 3 are all new to the team too.

Coaching or player change or both, I can see this trend making the Brewers really annoying for opposing pitchers. Even though their overall batting average is just .238, their obp is .330. A bit more production from Hill and CF will make this a solid offensive team. If they can keep this approach when the influx of new talent hits, this can be a very good team.

26 walks in 6 games. :)

By comparison, last season, through 15 games, the team had 25 walks, 43 walks through the 22 games in April.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

This team offensively is a Phillips and an Arcia away from being contenders!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Now with the need in the pen more critical, it appears that's where Thornburg stays, but he's using all his pitches now, much like he did as a starter the last couple months of 2013 when he was really effective. Maybe he and Peralta could switch roles at some point?

I think Thornburg needs a whole season in the pen, and prove he can stay healthy and effective for an entire season. He is young, and the option of putting him back in the rotation is always an option at some point down the road.

Peralta in the pen is not a terrible idea at all. Let him just pump fastballs for an inning, maybe that is a better use of his talents.

Now with the need in the pen more critical, it appears that's where Thornburg stays, but he's using all his pitches now, much like he did as a starter the last couple months of 2013 when he was really effective. Maybe he and Peralta could switch roles at some point?

I think Thornburg needs a whole season in the pen, and prove he can stay healthy and effective for an entire season. He is young, and the option of putting him back in the rotation is always an option at some point down the road.

Peralta in the pen is not a terrible idea at all. Let him just pump fastballs for an inning, maybe that is a better use of his talents.

Yeah I really don't care where they put Wily, if they aren't going to give him the ability to pitch to Maldy, his effective career is over. I will never understand no matter how good Lucroy is, why they stopped Peralta & Maldondo always being paired. If you need Luc's bat, put him at 1B for the game. Maldy is only one who will get Wily back on track. He has pitched to him all through minors, when he first came up, and that connection just works for Wily.

I don't move Thornburg back to rotation. We have plenty of young arms to fill in there. Thornburg is proving himself as a late inning guy. Closing out games is just as important as starting them. Need guys like Thornburg who will get job done.

Archived