Brewer Fanatic

2016 Milwaukee Brewers Positive Post Thread

pacopete4
Community Moderator
This last week was a fun week of baseball. We may not have won as many games as I thought we could/should have, but they were good games. Pitching has really picked it up as of late. We really should have scored some more runs, but I think we will lack in that department most of the year. Anyway, fun week, hope it continues.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers are pulling away from Reds and are still within striking distance of Pittsburgh and St. Louis, even after a week facing two of the better staffs in baseball.

Oh yeah, and this guy Hernan Perez is pretty good even if I'm the only one that will acknowledge it.

Junior Guerra continues to just do his job. Impressive.

Only 3.5 games back of the Cards, 6 of the WC. We get the Cards come Monday too. Would be nice to head into that series even closer in the standings!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewers are pulling away from Reds and are still within striking distance of Pittsburgh and St. Louis, even after a week facing two of the better staffs in baseball.

Oh yeah, and this guy Hernan Perez is pretty good even if I'm the only one that will acknowledge it.

As crazy as it sounds, the Cardinals next 4 games are @ Washington, while we draw Atlanta and Cincinnati. We currently sit 3.5 games back. There is a reasonable probability we could be within striking distance when they come to town Memorial Day.

On the latter, I'd love for that to be the case... But over the last 2 weeks (since 5/11), Perez is hitting .250BA/.276OBP/.562OPS with a 47 wRC+ and 7Ks/1BBs over 29PA. I just can't see what you are so excited about or evidence that anything has changed.

Early this morning on the Score670 in Chicago, co-host Brian Hanley expressed the opinion that the Brewers could catch and pass the Cardinals. His theory is the Brewers are not burdened by expectations and are able to play loose and hard, while Cards have major problems especially in their rotation.

That's the first time in two seasons that I've heard anyone not being paid by the Brewers express even the slightest positive thought about the current Brewer team. Mostly it's been what Brewer can we grab off their roster.

Hanley has no connection to Milwaukee other than being a Marquette grad, so it caught my attention immediately.

Early this morning on the Score670 in Chicago, co-host Brian Hanley expressed the opinion that the Brewers could catch and pass the Cardinals. His theory is the Brewers are not burdened by expectations and are able to play loose and hard, while Cards have major problems especially in their rotation.

That's the first time in two seasons that I've heard anyone not being paid by the Brewers express even the slightest positive thought about the current Brewer team. Mostly it's been what Brewer can we grab off their roster.

Hanley has no connection to Milwaukee other than being a Marquette grad, so it caught my attention immediately.

This next 7 games will tell us quite a bit about this Brewers team. Whether or not they want to be in the mix for a longer period of time this season could come down to taking care of business against Cincy and then figuring out a way to win series against the Cardinals. Hopefully it starts with a sweep of the Braves tonight!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wish/hope for that to be true, because I like Perez, but I am not sure what he has done to show he is pretty good. Although, I find it interesting you find Perez to be pretty good but dog Santana every chance you get. Care to elaborate on that?

Looking back at the almost trade of Gomez to the Mets and it's a very good thing that the Mets were idiots. Flores is hitting .180 in limited action and Wheeler hopefully will be pitching by July. Granted we don't know the extent of the Gomez part of the gomez/fiers trade but I'd bet it'll be much better than what we could have gotten from the Mets.

I wish/hope for that to be true, because I like Perez, but I am not sure what he has done to show he is pretty good. Although, I find it interesting you find Perez to be pretty good but dog Santana every chance you get. Care to elaborate on that?

Briggs likes guys or doesn't like guys for no apparent reason. Most of the time it seems like he just likes to be contrary to everyone else. Then he goes out and fits his support for them after the fact.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!

Only 2.5 back of the Cards. Hopeful for at least 2 of 3 from the Reds heading into that series early next week.

Hernan Perez is actually pretty darn athletic...On the Braves telecast last night (since I live in Charlotte) the announcers were marveling how he was faster than Villar on the bases as he was running out his triple

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hernan Perez is actually pretty darn athletic...On the Braves telecast last night (since I live in Charlotte) the announcers were marveling how he was faster than Villar on the bases as he was running out his triple

I don't think Perez is faster than Villar.. I just think it was a foregone conclusion once that ball got past Francouer that Villar was going to score without issue, so he probably wasn't going 100%. (Minor nitpick, I know)

Five Thirty Eight came out with their most recent power rankings and the Brewers are rated 26th, whoo hoo! (Ahead of the PHillies, I might add) Also, thy now project the Brewers as a 73 win team, with a 4% chance of making the playoffs!

I really like Hernan Perez - he's built like a rock and great at hitting the ball where it's pitched. He's also solid defensively. Now if he could only take a walk.

Aaron Hill has a 714 OPS and still only has a .279 BABIP. He might turn into a trade chip after all.

A few days ago someone used as proof that the Brewers were tanking that they were on pace for 66 wins. Now they're on pace for 72+.

A few days ago someone used as proof that the Brewers were tanking that they were on pace for 66 wins. Now they're on pace for 72+.

Yes, I think Stearns should be fired because he's failing at his one true goal for the coming years, which is losing 100+ games and getting the first overall draft pick [/sarcasm]

This year's team is fun to watch, and there is reason for excitement. We're building a nice foundation to build upon, and could be a good team quicker than most people would have believed when we started the sell-off midway through last season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I really like Hernan Perez - he's built like a rock and great at hitting the ball where it's pitched. He's also solid defensively. Now if he could only take a walk.

Aaron Hill has a 714 OPS and still only has a .279 BABIP. He might turn into a trade chip after all.

Perez and Broxton should be getting at least 4-5 starts a week to see what they can do with fairly regular playing time, even if they were to struggle. This is exactly the type of year where younger players like them should be given a long leash to show something or fail.

As for Hill, no team will give up anything of substance to where it's worth giving him more starts than Perez.

Perez and Broxton should be getting at least 4-5 starts a week to see what they can do with fairly regular playing time, even if they were to struggle. This is exactly the type of year where younger players like them should be given a long leash to show something or fail.

As for Hill, no team will give up anything of substance to where it's worth giving him more starts than Perez.

What's your definition of "anything of substance"? By all accounts ARam would bring back nothing last year and returned a guy who can contribute to the major league team. His .720 OPS was very similar to Hill's .714 this year. And Aaron can play multiple positions.

What's your definition of "anything of substance"? By all accounts ARam would bring back nothing last year and returned a guy who can contribute to the major league team. His .720 OPS was very similar to Hill's .714 this year. And Aaron can play multiple positions.

He brought in a 23 year old relief pitching prospect that struck out less than 7 per 9 and walked around 3.5 per 9. Granted, that's not nothing but it's not a lot and nothing to be excited about.

The Pirates saved us 3 million dollars by acquiring ARam. I would say that was our biggest benefit of substance.

I was pleasantly surprised that Barrios was in contention for our pen this year, though, it's unfortunate that he ended up injured.

Most likely a Hill trade will be similarly structured; save us a couple million and get a guy with a chance to be a bench player or reliever someday.

I simply want to see Perez get an extended amount of playing time to see what he can do. Granted, he'll have to walk at a better rate if he wants to ever be an everyday player, but he has an ideal frame, has hit well so far when given at bats, and seems like he'd be a plus defender at thirdbase.

Now if Counsell wants to keep Hill in the lineup, then i'd rather it be mainly at second and take away some of Scooter's at bats. Something like giving Perez 5 starts a week at third and then giving Hill the other two, along with a few at second would be fine with me so long as Perez gets consistent playing time.

Plus, i'm not high on Gennett being the long term solution at second. With as well as Villar is playing and if Arcia gets the shortstop job next year, i'd rather see Villar be given the everyday job at secondbase. He'd be an upgrade defensively from Scooter and doesn't come with extreme batting splits.

Did I miss something? Has Hill announced his retirement after this year? Like Ramirez, he's on the final year of his deal, so their trade values are similar, but he's got a lot more left in the tank than A-Ram did and he can play both 2b and 3b.

Counsell hinted at Perez' ultimate role comparing him to a young Zobrist. Ultimately, Villar could end up at 2b and Perez at 3b with Scooter being dealt but I think they like having essentially 3 starting caliber players for 2 positions. It gives the manager flexibility to maneuver during games.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Villar now leads the NL in steals, is 2nd in doubles (tied), is 10th in OBP (.406) and is 8th in walks.

I know he makes some mental mistakes on the basepaths, and isn't ever going to be a GG caliber defender, but I like the makeup of his offensive game a lot.

Villar now leads the NL in steals, is 2nd in doubles (tied), is 10th in OBP (.406) and is 8th in walks.

I know he makes some mental mistakes on the basepaths, and isn't ever going to be a GG caliber defender, but I like the makeup of his offensive game a lot.

Just awesome. What a trade so far.

Archived