Brewer Fanatic

Cubs with 70 corked bats (in 2003)

ajgodson

All those that despise the Cubbies out there should enjoy this:

bugsandcranks.com/chicago...t-of-wine/

"On the night Sosa?s bat exploded for all to see, officials from Major League Baseball notified the Cubs organization during the game that they had one hour to get rid of any other corked bats of Sosa?s in the team?s clubhouse before they came down to inspect his arsenal of bats. More than 70 marked corked bats then were extricated quickly by Cubs personnel from the clubhouse, about a third of them belonging to other players."

What gets me is that it was reported major league officials warned the Cubs to remove their illegal bats before they were making there inspection after the Sosa thing.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised by any form of cheating being revealed in baseball. It's absolutely ridiculous the way major league baseball basically has allowed so much cheating to go on.

70 bats?? thats unbelievable.

Major league officials are just going to deny it. I don't think there's any hard evidence, because they made sure there wasn't any hard evidence. They are the ones that would have to make a ruling and we all know that isn't going to happen because it would mean they would have to admit fault.

The reason MLB warned them is because it is the type of pointless cheating that professional athletes do all the time.

At the time of this incident I was having lunch with a collegue who couldn't understand all the fuss.

He was a physicist and this pretty much summerized what he said at dinner that night. Including the effect of filling the bats with a viscous fluid like mercury or corn syrup (was his example).

Some basic physics arguments

WHen he was done explaining it to me my only reaction was how silly baseball players can be at times.

Quote:
The reason MLB warned them is because it is the type of pointless cheating that professional athletes do all the time.

mlb didn't always turn a blind eye to cheating... in fact there used to be a time when baseball made efforts to be pure and above cheating. they drew the big crowds "naturally" for years and years... until slowly this wasn't the case anymore, and before you know it baseball wasn't as popular.

...then all this shady business started with steriods and such "puttin the meat in the seats". its not just chicks that dig the long ball.

Archived