Mass Haas
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First these reminder posts from last June 12th and 13th --

Andrew Vernon is first ever NCCU MLB draft pick

WRALSportsFan.com (North Carolina)

Former North Carolina Central University pitcher Andrew Vernon had a record-breaking senior year and career, and now he’s added another historic entry as he became the first Major League Baseball draft pick from NCCU when he was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the twenty-eighth round on Saturday, June 11.

“I’m ecstatic, this is definitely a dream come true. It’s hard to put into words.” Vernon said about being drafted by the Brewers. “I can’t wait, it’s a great organization, and it’s been my dream ever since I was little. I can’t wait to see what happens, the guys I’ll meet, and the fan base. I’m really excited about everything that’s happening.”

“What a tremendous culmination to a great four year career,” NCCU baseball head coach Jim Koerner said about the reliever. “Andrew has earned everything he’s gotten, and we are very proud of him. His talent, work ethic and determination will take him far.”

A native of Raleigh, North Carolina, Vernon pitched four seasons for the maroon and gray and ended his career as the modern-era leader in career saves with 15 and kept a career ERA of 3.89 which tops the list as well.

Over his four years on the mound Vernon made a career-record 83 appearances with seven starts as he had an opportunity to move from the bullpen to the mound in his senior campaign. He was a 2016 First Team All-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference selection after he nailed down four saves and led the league with 85 strikeouts, which set a new single season mark in the modern era at NCCU.

With those 85 strikeouts, Vernon also finished the regular season 12th in NCAA Division I in strikeouts per nine innings with an average of 11.93 punchouts.

Vernon is also high in the NCCU career leaderboards in pitching as he is second in the modern era with 181 strikeouts and holds the second lowest opposing batting average of .243.

The Milwaukee Brewers minor league affiliates are the Colorado Springs Sky Sox (AAA), Biloxi Shuckers (AA), Brevard County Manatees (Advanced-A), Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (A), Helena Brewers (Rookie) and they have an Arizona League rookie team, and Vernon now waits to see where he will be assigned in the organization.

"AUDIO: RHP Andrew Vernon, the first ever MLB draft pick from North Carolina Central University joined Mike, Lauren and Demetri on The Morning Show at WRAL to talk about his surprise at being taken in the 28th round by the Brewers."

"I was playing NBA2K when the Brewers called"

The best interviews are always the late-round college picks...

Vernon is on his way to Maryvale.

OK, now that you have re-familiarized yourself with Andrew Vernon (2016 stats), read this article from today.

Brewers prospect Andrew Vernon prepping for season at Somerset's Infinite Fitness

Mike Thomas, Fall River (MA) Herald News

Several photos at that link as well...

When I learned that Vernon, a North Carolina native, was literally training in my backyard here in southeastern Massachusetts, I didn't realize how he found his way up here for an extended multi-month training stint until I was reminded he played for the local New England Collegiate Baseball wood bat league here, as was noted in the worthwhile article linked just above. The young man has agreed to be my guest for lunch out Friday, a treat for me since that kind of opportunity is so rare up in these parts from a Brewers perspective.

I'm not planning a formal article post or anything, very casual, just hoping to learn a bit of what life is like for a senior sign spending a summer in the Maryvale heat, and then preparing to do all he can this offseason for what will be a very competitive spring camp (Toby has already crunched the sheer numbers for us, lots of arms on hand to be sure).

Join me in wishing Andrew well, and all the guys in similar spots. We've spent so much time focusing on top prospect lists, there are always great baseball stories at every level of the organization, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewers prospect Andrew Vernon prepping for season at Somerset's Infinite Fitness

Mike Thomas, Fall River (MA) Herald News

Several photos at that link as well...

When I learned that Vernon, a North Carolina native, was literally training in my backyard here in southeastern Massachusetts, I didn't realize how he found his way up here for an extended multi-month training stint until I was reminded he played for the local New England Collegiate Baseball wood bat league team here, as was noted in the worthwhile article linked just above. The young man has agreed to be my guest for lunch, a treat for me since that kind of opportunity is so rare up in these parts from a Brewers perspective.

I'm not planning a formal article post or anything, very casual, just hoping to learn a bit of what life is like for a senior sign spending a summer in the Maryvale heat, and then preparing to do all he can this offseason for what will be a very competitive spring camp (Toby has already crunched the sheer numbers for us, lots of arms on hand to be sure).

Join me in wishing Andrew well, and all the guys in similar spots. We've spent so much time focusing on top prospect lists, there are always great baseball stories at every level of the organization, though.

My lunch chat with "Vern" proved to be one of the most enjoyable baseball conversations I've ever had.

There has been a follow-up brief interview podcast with Comcast SportsNet New England's Nick Friar in which Vernon's personality shines through, and you learn more about life in Maryvale. As the link shows, go the 24:51 minute mark.

One last article with some new tidbits, worth your time again.

By the way, after reading, you'll wonder how "Vern" reacted to his first-ever presence in an actual blizzard up here yesterday - conditions were insane!

Why the Brewers' Andrew Vernon moved from North Carolina to New Bedford (MA) to prepare for Spring Training

By Brendan Kurie, SouthCoastToday.com

Archived