Brewer Fanatic

Your 2016 Helena / Maryvale Brewers

Mass Haas
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff
As noted in the Menu above, Helena formally begins play Friday, and Maryvale on Monday, but some legion ball kids hit the field with the H-Crew tonight.

Helena Senators to meet minor league Brewers Tuesday at Kindrick Legion Field

And here's video from that game.

With Brewer batters facing Brewer pitchers to keep it competitive, a 7-1 final means it was a nice night for the Helena position players.

Tyrone Perry's 146wRC+ and pretty good strike zone judgement last year in Arizona gets him a repeat assignment. Unfair to speculate but disappointing. :ohwell

Was healthy and in camp all Spring..... They never once played him. Speculation only but his rapid weight gain (in fall 305) may have put him in dog house. He is too good not to play, doesn't make sense

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Staff

You'll find Ryan Collingwood's coverage, among others, at the Helena Independent Record, each article includes at least one photo, and additional info on the final page sidebar.

Senators gain valuable experience facing Brewers in first exhibition match

New Brewers manager back in familiar setting at Kindrick Legion Field

Helena Brewers boast talent, continuity on 2016 roster

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/cd/1cd6ab3b-e132-5a4a-a5ec-53d0da57310b/57622b11691c1.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C853

18-year-old Gilbert Lara

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From this link --

Matt Smith had indications that he would be selected in the top 10 rounds of the 2016 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

“I had a Pirates' scout call me the day before asking me if I'd sign,” said Smith, a Seneca Valley graduate and senior right-handed pitcher at Georgetown University.

“Then I didn't hear anything. Then I thought I'd go in the 15-20 range and then the 20-30 range."

Smith, a 6-foot-3 right-handed pitcher, ended up going in the 34th round to the Milwaukee Brewers. “It's a weird system,” Smith said. “When the draft begins, you really don't know where you'll end up or in what round. All bets are off.”

Smith was 3-6 with a 4.56 ERA for Georgetown this year. “I fell a little,” Smith said. “But I can't wait to get going at rookie ball.”

Smith was assigned to the rookie league affiliate Arizona Brewers in Phoenix.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
our the official rosters set for both clubs have not seen anything official?

Those rosters will get tweaked right up until Maryvale's opener on Monday, and then continued adjustments with additions in the days after, which we'll keep you posted on in our transaction thread.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From this article (Springfield, IL) --

http://www.sj-r.com/storyimage/LS/20160616/SPORTS/160619632/EP/1/1/EP-160619632.jpg&MaxW=650&MaxH=650

Williamsville High School graduate Nick Roscetti signed after being drafted in the 26th round by Milwaukee and reported to the Brewers' minor league complex in Phoenix following a stellar career as a University of Iowa infielder. PHOTO COURTESY UNIVERSITY OF IOWA ATHLETICS

Nick Roscetti and David Jacob saw their dreams come true last week. Tyler Fitzgerald put his dream on the back burner.

Roscetti, a 2012 Williamsville High School graduate, was selected in the 26th round of Major League Baseball’s First-Year Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers after earning All-Big Ten Conference honors as a University of Iowa senior.

Jacob, a 2013 Sacred Heart-Griffin graduate, was picked in the 32nd round by the Toronto Blue Jays after hitting .392 during his red-shirt sophomore season at Quincy University.

And Fitzgerald, a recent Rochester graduate, was picked in the 30th round by the Boston Red Sox after winning the Central State Eight Conference batting title (.500) and leading the league in home runs (nine) and stolen bases (37).

Roscetti, the 771st player selected, has signed his contract and is in Phoenix working out at the Brewers’ complex. Jacob, who had some leverage with the ability to return for two more seasons at Quincy, also has signed and is Dunedin, Fla., at the Blue Jays’ complex.

Roscetti was watching his brother Joe play baseball Saturday when he got the call.

“The first thing they asked me was, ‘Did you see we drafted you?’” Roscetti said. “I had been watching (MLB.com's Draft Tracker) but I didn’t see my name.

“My mom and my girlfriend started getting all emotional. It was pretty instantaneous.”

By Monday morning he was on a plane to Phoenix to take his physical, complete his paperwork and sign his first professional contract.

As an Iowa senior Roscetti batted .305 with a team-best 39 runs batted in. He also made just five errors in 249 chances and is one of 11 semifinalists for college baseball’s Brooks Wallace Shortstop of the Year Award.

“I was most proud of my defense,” Roscetti said. “Coach (Rick) Heller did a great job. My defense was my best asset this year.”

Roscetti, 6-3 and 185 pounds, isn’t sure where the Brewers will send him to play his first pro season. Milwaukee has an affiliate in the Arizona Rookie League and in Helena, Montana, in the Pioneer Rookie League.

NOTE: As seen in the prior post, Roscetti will be in Helena.

“They told me my defense is solid, my arm strength,” Roscetti said. “They said they saw a lot of potential in me.”

He grew up a Cardinals fan, but he’s willing to change.

"Go Brew Crew,” he said with a chuckle.

They currently have 4 OF listed - Segovia, Orimoloye, Martinez, Whalen. Each of the four was born in a different country.

Oquendo and Ortiz could see time in the OF as well, plus Corey Ray if they elect not to start him in Wisconsin.

They listed Whalen in the infield earlier. I guess they changed it since I first looked at it.

Archived