Brewer Fanatic

Your 2016 Helena / Maryvale Brewers

Mass Haas
  • 1 month later...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

As documented in the Minor League Transactions Thread many of these players are simply filling roster spots on paper and won't see any action in Montana this summer. Still the Helena beat reporter takes an early look at the current Helena roster.

Brewers Blog: An early look at the 2016 Helena Brewers

by Ryan Collingwood, Independent Record

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
The Brewers have made official the promotion of four pitchers to Maryvale from the Dominican Summer League --

22-year-old RHP Rodrigo Benoit moves up after three DSL seasons, with his most recent being pretty spectacular (2.10 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, although low K totals).

21-year-old RHP Junior Flores has toiled for four seasons in the D.R., and the numbers aren't very pretty, but the Brewers see something that gets him stateside.

23-year-old RHP Juan Diaz got a late start to his pro career, all 42 appearances in his two seasons have been out of the pen.

22-year-old RHP Nattino Diplan (apparently no relation to the Timber Rattlers' Marcos, based on our prior inquiries) has also posted weak numbers over threeTwenty-four of his 67 hits went for extra bases, DSL seasons, but a promotion given the numbers normally indicates faith in a "big arm".

Those four promotions to Maryvale announced Wednesday, seven more today:

19-year-old Panamanian RHP Carlos Luna, the MVP of the DSL All-Star Game and owner of crazy good numbers in his second Brewers season, will be stateside. He's exactly the type of pitcher David Stearns targeted in the Adam Lind deal.

19-year-old Venezuelan RHP Nelson Hernandez has made 23 appearances in his first two teenage pro seasons, all starts, so the Brewers know what they have in mind for the young man. The numbers don't jump off the page like they do for Luna, but Hernandez will be another to keep a close watch on in the Arizona heat.

19-year-old SS Ignacio Otano posted a fantastic .821 OPS, just overlook the 35 errors he committed in 40 games :). Twenty-four of his 67 hits were for extra bases, and the 6'0" RH bat should be an exciting follow in Maryvale. Otano also stole 17 bases but was caught ten times.

19-year-old 1B Nicol Valderrey is a right-handed bat who doesn't have corner infield size (at least as listed on MiLB), but posted a .300/.360/.365 line in his second season last summer.

19-year-old Venezuelan catcher Yoel Vasquez got a late start to his rookie season in 2014, and with only eight pro games under his belt, still gets the stateside invitation. Vasquez missed all of 2015 with a hamate fracture in his left wrist.

23-year-old RHP Wuilder Rodriguez debuted as pro just last season, so it was make-or-break for him in 2015. Hopefully he'll eventually reach Helena / Wisconsin and we'll learn more on how he managed to sign at such an advanced age.

23-year-old LHP Boanerges Nova (what great names among these call-ups) has toiled for three seasons on his native island; southpaws are always welcome stateside.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Burnes taken in fourth round by Milwaukee Brewers

By Trevor Horn, Bakersfield.com

The MLB Draft is more of a guessing game than any other first-year player draft in professional sports.

All are difficult to gauge when it comes to figuring out what executives, coaches and scouts really do think going in, but more perplexing is just trying to factor in all variables that go into the 40-round draft.

From an outsider’s perspective, it’s a head scratcher, but for someone involved, it’s life-altering.

As was the case for Corbin Burnes, a former Centennial standout and pitcher for St. Mary’s College in Moraga.

Burnes was the No. 39 of the Top 200 prospects going into the draft, but fell to the 11th pick in the fourth round to the Milwaukee Brewers on Friday afternoon.

Despite the wait, Burnes said he was happy to get the next chapter of his life moving forward.

“I was just waiting and enjoying the day with family and friends,” Burnes said from his parent’s home in Bakersfield. “I would like to have have gone on (in the first two rounds) Thursday, but that didn’t happen.”

Once the call did come in from the Brewers regional scout, Burnes was quick to accept the offer.

“It was a good feeling. First it was excitement,” Burnes said. “It’s a dream come true to have my named called. I was happy to get it out of the way and get back to baseball, what I like. Happy to get to work.”

Burnes heads to Milwaukee on Tuesday for a physical.

After he signs his contract, he will likely find out where he will be sent for the remainder of the season, likely to be either Wisconsin Timber Rattlers of the Class-A Midwest League in Appleton, Wis., or Brevard County Manatees in the Class-A Advanced Florida State League in Melbourne, Fla.

That last line would seem to be writer's speculation, likely not familiar with the rookie Helena squad yet to begin play...

Brewer Fanatic Staff
College's press release --

University of Alabama-Huntsville's Wilson Adams Selected by Brewers in MLB Draft (32nd round)

We learn that "In addition to his postseason accolades, his strong year on the mound also led to Adams being named a semifinalist for the Brett Tomko Award which is presented to Division II's top pitcher."

Adams stunned that he can chase baseball dream

A. Stacy Long, Montgomery Advertiser

St. James graduate Wilson Adams ran through a whirlwind of emotions from anger to fear and finally elation Saturday.

Adams, peeved that he hadn’t been picked in the annual pro draft, and a younger brother decided to vent their frustration on the golf course.

On the drive to the course, they witnessed a hit-and-run accident where “my life and someone else’s flashed before my eyes.”

Once there, somewhere between the parking lot and the first tee, Adams’ dad called with a startling question: “Did you hear?”

“I figured my nephew had said his first words or something, but my dad said, ‘No, you just got drafted,” Adams said, his golf clubs falling at his feet.

“I freaked out. I absolutely freaked out.”

The Milwaukee Brewers took the right-handed pitcher from UAH in the 32nd round and indefinitely postponed his next round of golf.

Adams said he’ll head to Arizona or Helena, Montana — sites of short-season Milwaukee affiliates — in the next few days.

“At most, I’m probably going to get $1,000, a handshake and be asked, ‘Do you want to play baseball?’” Adams said. “If somebody had said before the season that I would have that chance, I would have said ‘yes.’

“I can always come back to school, but I can’t always come back to baseball. Now I can focus on the dream I’ve been chasing since I was 4 years old.”

Adams, who is two semesters shy of his UAH degree and was out of baseball eligibility, rebounded from a bad junior year to be an ace this season for the Chargers.

He was an honorable mention NCAA Division II All-American and was 10-3 with a 2.45 ERA. His 952/3 innings included 84 hits allowed, 29 walks and 101 strikeouts, a mighty stretch from the previous year.

As a junior, he threw just 181/3 innings and wasn’t sure he’d even be allowed to play this season.

The fall before his junior season, Adams said he was throwing 88-92 mph and had dominated hitters, but he “got lazy” and didn’t do anything over the winter.

“I told myself that I needed some rest when I didn’t, and I dropped to 81-85 (mph) and I didn’t know where the ball was going,” said Adams, who didn’t make the same error before this season.

“This year, really and truly, wasn’t supposed to happen,” Adams said. “It wasn’t something I was expecting to happen, but I felt I had enough talent to make it happen.

“I really pushed myself to make it happen.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff
TWEET: Brewers connections

Notes on 13th round RHP Thomas Jankins (Connecticut school, but oh yeah, Massachusetts kid :))

West Brookfield's Thomas Jankins tops area picks

By Jennifer Toland, Telegram & Gazette Staff (Worcester, MA)

Quinnipiac right-handed pitcher Thomas Jankins of West Brookfield and Quaboag Regional was selected in the 13th round (No. 381 overall) by the Milwaukee Brewers.

Jankins, who was a T&G All-Star in baseball and basketball at Quaboag, is the 16th player in Quinnipiac program history to be drafted.

“It’s just everything I hoped it would be,” said Jankins, who was also at his family’s home Saturday. “It was great to have the family around and to get the call. I’ve been working since I was a little kid for this day and it’s just awesome to have all the hard work pay off.”

The 6-foot-3, 200-pounder was the Bobcats’ top pitcher the last three seasons and his 180 career strikeouts rank eighth all-time in program history, fourth in Quinnipiac’s Division 1 era. This season, Jankins went 5-6 with a 3.26 ERA and 79 strikeouts in 85-2/3 innings. He struck out six or more batters in nine of his 13 starts.

He expects to be reporting to the Helena (Montana) Brewers, the team’s advanced rookie affiliate.

Pre-draft chatter, Jankins said, had him going anywhere from the fifth to the 20th round. “So I was all over the place with what I expected,” he said.

The MLB Draft Tracker Twitter feed was down at the time Jankins was selected.

“So we were watching TV, hanging out trying to relax,” Jankins said, “and I got a phone call from the Brewers scout and he said they selected me and it was just nice to hear.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Andrew Vernon is first ever NCCU MLB draft pick

WRALSportsFan.com (North Carolina)

Former North Carolina Central University pitcher Andrew Vernon had a record-breaking senior year and career, and now he’s added another historic entry as he became the first Major League Baseball draft pick from NCCU when he was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the twenty-eighth round on Saturday, June 11.

“I’m ecstatic, this is definitely a dream come true. It’s hard to put into words.” Vernon said about being drafted by the Brewers. “I can’t wait, it’s a great organization, and it’s been my dream ever since I was little. I can’t wait to see what happens, the guys I’ll meet, and the fan base. I’m really excited about everything that’s happening.”

“What a tremendous culmination to a great four year career,” NCCU baseball head coach Jim Koerner said about the reliever. “Andrew has earned everything he’s gotten, and we are very proud of him. His talent, work ethic and determination will take him far.”

A native of Raleigh, North Carolina, Vernon pitched four seasons for the maroon and gray and ended his career as the modern-era leader in career saves with 15 and kept a career ERA of 3.89 which tops the list as well.

Over his four years on the mound Vernon made a career-record 83 appearances with seven starts as he had an opportunity to move from the bullpen to the mound in his senior campaign. He was a 2016 First Team All-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference selection after he nailed down four saves and led the league with 85 strikeouts, which set a new single season mark in the modern era at NCCU.

With those 85 strikeouts, Vernon also finished the regular season 12th in NCAA Division I in strikeouts per nine innings with an average of 11.93 punchouts.

Vernon is also high in the NCCU career leaderboards in pitching as he is second in the modern era with 181 strikeouts and holds the second lowest opposing batting average of .243.

The Milwaukee Brewers minor league affiliates are the Colorado Springs Sky Sox (AAA), Biloxi Shuckers (AA), Brevard County Manatees (Advanced-A), Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (A), Helena Brewers (Rookie) and they have an Arizona League rookie team, and Vernon now waits to see where he will be assigned in the organization.

Going to be VERY interesting to see how these teams will shake out with how college heavy draft was. Helena was already set with some very good prospects in mix. This Arizona team may end up like the Jason Rogers championship team in like 2010. College heavy, filled with former DSL kids & a few HS draft picks. I don't see any of the 4 HS pitchers signing. Two of them already said they are going to college. Other two are mid 20s picks & we will have to see.

You look at Helena and you got

1B Perry if he's out of dog house

2B Mallen

SS Lara

CF Segovia

RF Demi O

OF Y. Martinez, N. Pierre

C Taylor & Antencio

SP Walters, Lindell, Fortano

So Here are most likely Helena Candidates imo

1B T. Perry & R. Gideon

2B F. Mallen & T. York

SS Gibert Lara & T. Morrison

3B L. Erceg & W. Wilson

LF T. Stokes (replaced with Ray)

CF J. Segovia

RF D. Orimoleye

OF Y. Martinez, J. Ortiz & Z. Clark

SP Walters/Lindell

SP Burns/ Webb

SP Fortano/ Fox

SP Brown/Brown

SP Jankins/ V. Diaz

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

@helenabrewers has been posting & retweeting information & pics for this years team. Gentry Fortuano is your opening day starter. Demi O, Segovia, and Lara are all there. Couldn't make out rest of players in picture off top of my head.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Staff

"AUDIO: RHP Andrew Vernon, the first ever MLB draft pick from North Carolina Central University joined Mike, Lauren and Demetri on The Morning Show at WRAL to talk about his surprise at being taken in the 28th round by the Brewers."

"I was playing NBA2K when the Brewers called"

The best interviews are always the late-round college picks...

Vernon is on his way to Maryvale.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Several other tweets are rather cryptic, players excited but not yet officially on their way perhaps (too busy packing to tweet), but obviously several others are on their way to either Maryvale or Helena right now.

If you can read into another girlfriend tweet, then 21st round catcher Nathan Rodriguez is on his way.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
"AUDIO: RHP Andrew Vernon, the first ever MLB draft pick from North Carolina Central University joined Mike, Lauren and Demetri on The Morning Show at WRAL to talk about his surprise at being taken in the 28th round by the Brewers."

"I was playing NBA2K when the Brewers called"

The best interviews are always the late-round college picks...

Vernon is on his way to Maryvale.

If you didn't get a chance to listen to the audio, this article recaps things nicely with some additional humor.

Archived