Brewer Fanatic

Your 2016 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Mass Haas
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Rattlers place 4 on BAs Top 20 Midwest League Prospect List. Since this a 16-team league, 4 is a good number.

6. Marcos Diplan, rhp, Wisconsin (Brewers)

7. Isan Diaz, ss/2b, Wisconsin (Brewers)

17. Trent Clark, of, Wisconsin (Brewers)

20. Lucas Erceg, 3b, Wisconsin (Brewers)

Ben (Iowa): How does Jordan Yamamoto get so many strikeouts? Is his BABIP troubles something he can regress moving forward?

Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: What one evaluator told me is that Yamamoto just attacks the zone to force swings. He’s not overpowering, it’s most low-90s and he can push to mid 90s—but he’s not afraid to pitch in, even to lefties, and his breaking ball is a swing and miss pitch. In terms of BABIP, sure. It’s so fungible because infields change, stadium conditions change.

Ben (Iowa): Trent Clark's hit tool has been praised as is strongest tool, yet he struck out over 25% of his at bats this season. What caused so many strikeouts and is it correctable?

Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: Possibly. Part of it was Trent was disappointed about his staying in extended spring, and then he got hurt. So that put him in a bad frame to begin the season and he just never got right. Still, I’m optimistic—and so are the smarter people, more importantly—because he has excellent makeup and is extremely coachable. And athletic.

Keith (Charlotte): Is Lucas Erceg the biggest boom or bust hitter on the list? Hit hit tool seem to have generate pretty positive buzz in the three months he has been in professional ranks....Questions regarding makeup and commitment have always lingered for some reason however

Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: Yeah, he might be. For questions about his makeup, read this: http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/daily-grind-suits-lucas-erceg-just-fine/ He’s a good dude.

• 2 weeks later...

Rattler Radio Podcast with Matt Erickson: October 19, 2016

Earlier on Wednesday, Chris Mehring had a chance to talk with Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson about instructional league, his time on the Brewers coaching staff at the end of the Brewers season, baseball playoffs, and what is ahead for him.

As always, an excellent listen for both big league and minor league Brewer fans...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via Matt Huddleston, at his "The Unbiased MLB Fan" blog, a Q and A With Brewers' prospect, Jacob Gatewood

Thanks for posting this, Matt.

Included:

6.) As with many power hitters, your strikeout numbers have remained very high, with you whiffing more total times than number of games played in each of your first three seasons. What are some of the things you continue to work on to improve your overall approach at the plate?

For me it’s always been pitch selection, so I’ve been working on my vision and really focusing on the mental game of hitting rather than mechanics. I recently visited an eye doctor and realized I needed glasses so that could help a bit as well.

Be sure to click the link above for the full Q&A.

I've never found out, but one would think that each and every organizational player, top to bottom, would undergo a club-sponsored eye exam each offseason. But I doubt that's the case, which amazes me.

Also on Gatewood, many of us had heard about his MLB All-Star Game HR Derby success, but perhaps like me, I had somehow never seen a video of it. This is embedded within the Q&A interview linked above.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've never found out, but one would think that each and every organizational player, top to bottom, would undergo a club-sponsored eye exam each offseason. But I doubt that's the case, which amazes me.

Great googaly-moogaly. Yes, with millions of dollars being spent on player procurement and development, one would think a $100 eye exam is a requirement...

Even the movies understand that.

http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/rickvaugh-1024x576.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Any chance Burnes starts in A+ instead of A? Really liking the minor league pitching depth.

I would guess there is a 60/40 chance of starting at A+. And unless he goes to A ball and self destructs, a 100% chance he is at A+ this year.

Archived