Mass Haas
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link includes VIDEO interview, several of the quotes included below --

Wisconsin fits nicely for T-Rats catcher

Tim Froberg, Appleton Post-Crescent

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/5baf692044f9d95e1274d5d33c86f6e6afdbc2e7/c=86-271-1640-2343&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/2016/04/24/Appleton/B9321835736Z.1_20160424001115_000_GN4E5H295.1-0.jpg

Wisconsin’s Max McDowell rounds first on a double. The Timber Rattlers catcher has hit .303 in his first 10 games of the season.

(Photo: Ron Page/USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin)

Max McDowell

Position: Catcher

Residence: North Huntington, Penn.

Height/weight: 6-2, 205.

Bats/throws: Right/right.

Acquired: Was a 13th round pick by Milwaukee out of the University of Connecticut in the 2015 draft.

GRAND CHUTE - Max McDowell is working in the heart of Packer and Badger country, but it’s going to be tough to get him to switch allegiances.

When you grow up in Pittsburgh, the Steelers become a part of your life.

And when you attend college at the University of Connecticut, UConn basketball gets in your blood.

Sports loyalties aside, the 22-year-old Wisconsin Timber Rattlers catcher is adjusting smoothly to his new environment in Grand Chute.

He even knows about cheese curds.

“I played in the Northwoods League for the La Crosse Loggers my freshman year in college,” said McDowell. “That was my first time in Wisconsin. I got the whole cheese curd thing out of the way.”

The second-year pro is off to a solid start with the Rattlers. He has been splitting catching duties with Mitch Ghelfi and entered weekend play hitting .303 in 10 games. McDowell is also a strong defensive catcher and a steadying influence behind the plate.

Q: As a catcher, what’s it like working with all these talented young arms?

A: “I really enjoy it. There is always a lot to work on. Every time they throw a ball, they’re working on something and it’s fun to be a part of the development process. You do a lot of behind the scenes stuff with them. You’re always working with them on the little things to get those little improvements that in the end will pay big dividends.”

Q: Physically, catching is tough on the body. Does it wear you down?

A: “It’s a good position. Your body doesn’t always feel 100 percent, but that’s what you sign up for. You’ve got to love it and I love it.”

Q: Has catcher always been your position?

A: “I grew up playing just about every position there is. I didn’t start catching until the middle of high school and then I started to focus on it. But I always told my coaches that if you need me at another spot, I’ll play it. I’m a big believer that the more positions you can play, the better ballplayer you will be. I played a little outfield my last year in college to give my legs a break and I played a couple games at first base.”

Q: What was your college baseball experience like at UConn?

A: “Loved it. It was a great three years. I had great coaches and great teammates, and we got to see a lot of different cities. I’m still in contact with a lot of those guys.”

Q: In addition to the beating you took behind the plate, you were hit by 20 pitches your final (junior) year at UConn, which I believe was a nation high. How did you deal with that extra pounding on your body?

A: “That (getting hit by pitches) is a part of the game. It’s not going to bother me. I’m used to it behind the plate. If you want to give me a free base, I’ll take it.”

Q: UConn has had so much success in basketball. How big is basketball on campus? And as a student, did you get into the fan aspect of it?

A: “It’s definitely the sport to be up there. They pride themselves on being the basketball capital of the world. We’d go to both men’s and women’s games and have fun being a part of the student section. Both programs are really fun to watch, although for the women’s games, you’d better get there early. Some of my best memories were the year (2014) when UConn won both (men’s and women’s NCAA basketball championships). It was my sophomore year and it was one of the craziest weeks of my life. The place was just packed for every game and it was such a fun environment. You’d have kids camping out before every game.”

Q: So I’m guessing you’re a March Madness guy?

A: “It’s one of my favorite times of the year, just because of my experience at UConn. I have such good memories of the runs those teams made.”

Q: Do you know Ryan Radue (a former Fox Valley Lutheran pitcher) who has been a part of the UConn baseball program in recent years?

A: “He was my roommate my freshman year. Great kid, great attitude, an amazing kid. I have a lot of cool memories with him. I was with him three years, so he’s one of my good friends. I still talk to him. He was a great pitcher for us.”

Q: You grew up in Pittsburgh and describe yourself as an avid Pirates fan. Any Pirates memories that stay with you?

A: “I remember watching Mark McGwire hit his 58th home run (in 1998). The ball landed just a couple rows down from me. I almost caught that one. And I remember going with my parents to see Three Rivers Stadium demolished, which was cool. I’d get to four of five Pirates games a year, but we’d watch them on television all the time.”

Q: The Pirates struggled for so many years. How cool is it to see them have success again?

A: “There’s a big buzz in Pittsburgh right now about the Pirates, and it’s a lot different from when they were losing. People have Pirates fever. They’re excited to see the team win.”

Q: How big of a Steelers and Penguins fan are you?

A: “I’m a big Steelers fan and that kind of comes with the territory. If you grow up in Pittsburgh, you’d better be a Steelers fan. I love watching the success they’ve had. There are rumors that we’re the best fans in the country and our road attendance kind of speaks for itself. Steelers fans are very passionate about their team and they hold the team accountable. They want to win. I’ve always enjoyed the Penguins, too. They’re hot right now and I’m following their playoff run.

Q: Any favorite Steelers memories or players?

A: “There was Santonio Holmes’ (game-winning) toe-tap catch in the back of the end zone in the (2009) Super Bowl. And in the same game, James Harrison ran that interception back 100 yards. Those two plays always ring a bell for me. I was a big Hines Ward fan. He was a gritty guy who loved to compete and always had a smile on his face. It was always fun to watch (former coach Bill) Cowher. He’s still a big part of it. He’s always around Pittsburgh.”

Q: You’re in Packers country now. How tough was it watching the Steelers lose to the Packers in the 2011 Bowl?

A: “That was a tough one, but it was a good game to watch. I haven’t been to a Packer game yet, but I’d love to get up there and see Lambeau and experience all the history.

Q: Do you know that (Packers coach) Mike McCarthy hails from Pittsburgh?

A: “Oh yeah. That’s definitely known around Pittsburgh. But he’s more of a Packer guy now. I’m not sure how much he associates himself with Pittsburgh.”

Q: Did you play football and other sports growing up?

A: “ I played football my first two years in high school, and basketball my freshman year. In football, I was a wide receiver and safety, and I kicked for us. I could get out to about 40 yards comfortably on field goals. But after my sophomore year, I kind of knew baseball was where I needed to spend my time at. I grew up playing any sport I could and was always a busy guy. My parents, God bless them, would be taking me to three different practices a day. I was a big soccer guy growing up. I loved soccer and it was my main sport. It was kind of hard giving up those sports because I loved competing. But I still tried to be a part of them and went to all the games to watch my friends play.”

Q: You’ve said that you like to pattern your game after Jonathan Lucroy. As a catcher, did you get to work with him in spring training?

A: “I really enjoy watching him catch and how he works back there. It was fun to be around him in spring training, and seeing it in person. I just like the way he catches. No one is going to catch the same way, obviously, but there’s definitely a lot of things you can learn.”

Q: How weird is that you are now catching his brother (David, a relief pitcher for the Timber Rattlers)?

A: “Well, they’re two separate people so I don’t like to put those two together. He (David Lucroy) is a good friend of mine. He’s a good guy and we like to get out on the golf course.”

The tool box

“Defensively, I like the grind that he has. He loves blocking the baseball and he’s very effective at it. As far as his catch and release, he’s very accurate. He doesn’t have a big arm, but has an above-average release and above-average accuracy. He’s puts the ball right on the bag. He’s had a nice throw-out percentage so far. He’s learning our pitchers and his pitch sequence calling is getter better.

“Offensively, he has a very short stroke and he’s put together some competitive at bats. I like having our two older catchers in the middle of our lineup. I’ve been very happy with his overall approach so far.” – Matt Erickson, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers manager

FAVORITES

MLB team growing up: “Pittsburgh Pirates. My grandfather would have the game on (television) every night.”

MLB player: “Jack Wilson was probably my favorite Pirate. I grew up playing shortstop and he was a gritty, in-the-dirt-all-the-time kind of guy. I liked Brian Giles, too. And I was always a big fan of (Derek) Jeter. I liked his attitude, his leadership and how he showed up every day ready to compete.”

Food: “The basics. Chicken parm, chicken alfredo, pizza, anything with calories in it.

TV show: “The Big Bang Theory.”

Musical group/artist: “Whatever is on the radio. Musically, I’m kind of a jack of all trades. I listen to it all.”

Hobbies outside baseball: “I’ve started golfing a lot. But really, anything with competition ... ping pong, foosball, you name it. If it involves competition, I want to be a part of it. My friends will tell you how competitive I am. Whether it’s rock-paper-scissors or video games, I want to win. I’ll stay up all night if I have to.”

Best advice: “Before each game, my dad would say, ‘Have fun and play hard.’ Every day I remind myself of that simple message.”

Anyone know anything about Jon Perrin?

This is a 22-year old 27th round draft pick (2015) who now has a career 71K:7BB ratio in his first 73.2 IP as a starter, leading to a 1.03 WHIP and 3.30 ERA in 17 games.

Is this someone we should be keeping an eye on?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yes, he is now. Seems like a Fiers type, he doesn't have a plus FB, but has FB/change/curve and can control and locate all of them. My own opinion, but I've always felt college pitchers should handle low A ball relatively easily, or I don't have a very high hopes. Perrin seems like he's ready for BC at the break if he keeps this up.

Thanks. That 29K:0BB for the season just jumped out at me.

Hopefully he'll get promoted and continue to dominate.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link includes VIDEO interview, several of the quotes included below --

Yamamoto off to strong start for Rattlers

Tim Froberg, Appleton Post-Crescent

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/70090a74ab7567d806c365a59938ed2d059a4a52/c=836-498-2106-2191&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/2016/05/06/Appleton/B9322016140Z.1_20160506195936_000_GPKE9N9FK.1-0.jpg

Timber Rattlers pitcher Jordan Yamamoto has a 3.96 ERA in 25 innings this season. (Photo: Courtesy of Ann Mollica/Wisconsin Timber Rattlers)

Jordan Yamamoto

Position: Pitcher.

Residence: Pearl City, Hawaii.

Height/weight: 6-0, 195.

Bats/throws: Right/Right.

Acquired: Selected by Milwaukee in the 12th round of the 2014 draft.

GRAND CHUTE - Kodi Medeiros wasn’t the only pitcher on Milwaukee’s radar when Brewers scouts searched the Hawaiian Islands for talent a few years ago.

Jordan Yamamoto also drew their interest.

When Yamamoto outdueled Medeiros in a high school state quarterfinal game, Yamamato eliminated any questions about whether he was a draftable player.

Milwaukee made Medeiros their first-round pick in the 2014 draft and then selected Yamamoto in the 12th round of the same draft.

The 19-year-old right-hander is off to a solid start for the Rattlers and has shown promise as a starting pitcher. In 25 innings of work, Yamamoto has a 3.96 earned run average with 23 strikeouts and just five walks. His best outing came April 24 against Peoria when he allowed one earned run on four hits with no walks and eight strikeouts in seven innings.

Q&A

Q: What’s your MO as a pitcher?

A: “I’m not a pitcher who is going to throw it by you. I’ll throw 90, 91, sometimes 93 (mph), but I’m more of a guy to throw strikes and get outs, quick outs. I don’t want to be out there any longer than I have to.”

Q: As a native Hawaiian, how tough has it been adjusting to Wisconsin’s cold spring temperatures?

A: “It’s a change. It’s totally different coming from 85 degrees every day to 45 every day. Here it seems like you have to do everything twice as much just to break a sweat. But you have to learn to adapt and change to your environment. If you make it to the big leagues, I mean, you’re playing in Chicago and all these outdoor stadiums in April. That’s what baseball is all about: learning how to change and adapt to your environment. Pitching here in the cold weather has helped me a lot.”

Q: Prior to getting drafted by Milwaukee, what was the coldest temperature you had pitched in?

A: “Oh, 65, maybe 70.”

Q: Just a few weeks before being drafted by the Brewers, you outpitched Kodi Medeiros in a 2-0 victory for your Saint Louis High School team in a state tournament game. How much do you think that impacted your draft status?

A: “Well, I feel like it made a difference, but then again, maybe it didn’t. Going into that game, we were already known as the top two pitchers coming out of Hawaii that year. So, it helped having all the scouts there. But it wasn’t the first time I had pitched in front of scouts. I was at the Arizona Fall Classic when I was 16 and that’s when the scouts started talking with my parents. Then I got invited to the Area Code (Baseball Games) in California and I started to get call after call from professional and college scouts. This whole ride from high school to now has been a blessing.”

Q: Are you and Kodi friends?

A: “We’re good friends. We were roommates this past spring training and during our first year of pro ball in the Arizona League. We still joke about that game. We’ve had that connection from the beginning, being from Hawaii, and being in the same draft class and drafted by the same organization. We’ve grown a little closer as the years have passed. We talk a lot.”

Q: What did he tell you about pitching in Wisconsin?

A: “He said to find warm gear because it’s going to be really cold. It was a pretty good heads-up.”

Q: So what was it like growing up in Hawaii?

A: “Growing up in Hawaii is great. I kind of miss it. Being able to call what some call paradise my home is an amazing feeling. I grew up in Pearl City, a suburb 10 or 15 minutes from Honolulu. What I loved about it was that I got to play baseball year-round. You can play baseball 24-7 if you want to. And I always loved going to be the beach and being outdoors.”

Q: Did you play any other sports growing up?

A: “I never really played too many other sports because my parents were very cautious about my health. I wanted to play football, but they wouldn’t let me because they were worried about me getting hurt. I had some cousins who played football and they ended up with torn labrums and shoulders torn so bad there was barely anything left in them. I gave my parents a hard time about it back then, but now I thank them. Had I played football and gotten hurt, I wouldn’t be here today.”

Q: Do you come from a baseball family?

A: “Not really. My sister was a volleyball player and my mom danced the hula. My dad played Little League, but he was a dirt-bike racer when he was in high school. He was one of the best in the state. In our office at home, he has like 50 trophies for dirt-bike racing. My dad didn’t let me do that, either. I’ve only been on a dirt bike three or four times.”

Q: How big is baseball in Hawaii?

A: “It’s getting up there. Football is huge in Hawaii. It’s the top sport. You might get 15,000 fans for a high school game. It’s just crazy. I remember when our school played in the state championship game at Aloha Stadium. The place was just packed. One side of the stadium was all red, and the other side was all blue and white. It was pretty cool to see. Baseball is an up-and-coming sport in Hawaii, and more and more scouts are coming to see the talented players we have.”

Q: You went to the same high school as (Tennessee Titans quarterback) Marcus Mariota. How big of a deal was he at your school?

A: “He was a senior when I was a freshman and that was the year they won state. It was pretty cool seeing him throughout his high school career and just following his career. We take a lot of pride in our schools. That’s just how we are. The fans, the alumni and the community are so close. It’s kind of a brotherhood, and it’s an amazing feeling?

Q: Water sports are huge in Hawaii. Do you do any of those?

A: “I got into spear fishing this past offseason and went with my dad a lot. It’s a totally different world underneath the water. Everything is so quiet. I’ve done body surfing, but I’ve stopped because it’s kind of dangerous with the waves we have. It’s all shore-break where the waves break right on the sand. Some of the beaches we have are known for breaking necks and I don’t want to risk my career. I’ll stop for now. Maybe when I finish baseball, I’ll go back to it.”

The tool box

“Jordan comes to us with some really good tools for a youngster. He’s got a real good fastball. He spins the ball really well. It’s a true curveball most of the time, but every once in awhile it looks like a slurve, kind of in between a slider and a curve. As a potential future starter in the big leagues, at 19 years old he projects really high right now. He’s able to throw his fastball on both sides of the plate and can get a breaking ball over. It’s a swing and miss pitch when he gets it in the right location. He changes speeds really well. In fact, he has two different speeds on his change-up. He’s pitched beyond his years at times. He’s been a real pleasant find for us, no doubt about it.” — Gary Lucas, Timber Rattlers pitching coach

FAVORITES

MLB team growing up: “Boston Red Sox. My Little League team was always the Red Sox, so I always liked the Boston Red Sox.”

MLB player: “You know, I never really had a favorite player growing up. I never really watched a lot of TV. I was more of an action type kid, out in the yard every day playing baseball.”

Food: “Poke. It’s raw fish, fresh fish from Hawaii. You just cut it up and eat it just like that.”

Musical group/artist: “Has to be any Hawaiian group. Iration, Revolution, Common Kings, SOJA.”

Hobbies outside baseball: “I like to draw. I’m big into art, drawing, painting, graphic design. I can do a lot of that.”

Best advice: “It was from my dad. He would say, ‘Don’t take anything for granted. God has given you the gift and opportunity to play baseball. You don’t want to take that for granted because he could take that away at any time.’ ”

Community Moderator

Sunday Notes: Brewers Perrin, Padres Allen, Iggy, Indians, more

by David Laurila, Fangraphs

Brewers pitching prospect Jon Perrin issued his first free pass of the season on Friday night. Accompanying that solitary walk on his stat sheet are 47 strikeouts and a 2.50 ERA over 36 innings of work. Pitching for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, Perrin has essentially been the Midwest League equivalent of Greg Maddux in his prime.

His long-term goal isn’t necessarily to be the next Maddux. Nor is it to be the next Josh Tomlin, a more realistic control-and-command comparable. Perrin aspires to be an attorney.

The 22-year-old right-hander graduated from Oklahoma State before being drafted by Milwaukee last year in the 27th round. He took his LSAT over the winter, and if he gets an acceptance letter from his target school, there’s a good chance he’ll bid baseball adieu.

“I don’t think it’s going to happen, but if I get into Harvard, I’m probably going to be out of here,” Perrin told me. “I love the game, but I think I can do more good in this world with a degree from Harvard Law School than I ever could playing baseball.”

Perrin is smart enough to know the odds are against him making it to the major leagues. His numbers may be eye-opening, but he’s also a late-round senior sign pitching in low-A. He admits to being “kind of your standard college right-hander, 88 to 92; I’m not going to blow guys’ doors off.” He will, however, fill up the strike zone with an artist’s touch.

If he does stick with baseball, Perrin feels he can reach the big leagues by “executing at a higher rate than everybody else.” He’s also fearless.

“The way I look at it, if I throw a ball on the plate to one of the best hitters in the league, I’m going to get him out seven out of ten times,” said Perrin. “If you walk into a casino with those kind of odds, you’re probably going to put a lot of chips down on the table.”

The righty wasn’t as willing to gamble in the Big 12. When I asked why his college walk rate wasn’t anything special, he pointed to weapon-based probability.

“The biggest thing here is switching from metal to wood,” explained Perrin. “You can’t pitch the same way in college because they’re swinging a piece of frigging iron up there. It’s harder to get in on guys, and mistakes get punished a lot more.”

Walking away from the game could pay dividends — lawyers eat steak and lobster, minor-leaguers eat at McDonald’s — but there’s a big ‘what-if’ in the equation. There is always the chance he could become the next Maddux or Tomlin.

“That kind of came up when I was out to dinner with the scout who signed me,” Perrin told me. “He said, ‘Look man, you’re not a top-of-the-rotation stuff guy, but there are guys in the big leagues making $10 million a year doing what you do.’ I told him, ‘That works for me.’”

———

I was in Cleveland a few days after talking to Perrin, so I took the opportunity to ask Tomlin if he had any advice for the pitcher/prospective law student...

Tomlin's advice and the rest of the article available by clicking the link above.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

going to my first t-rats game on Sunday, does anyone have any recommendations? What is the go-to food item to get? We plan on tailgating and getting into the stadium at least a couple minutes before to see the stadium.

My go-to is the Venom Burger, at the stand way down RF line. Everything at the Festy Grill down the LF line is good too. If you're up for ginormous 18 pound burgers (or whatever they are) you have several options there as well. Small stadium, of course, so pretty easy to just walk around and see what they have, and you won't miss the game.

I keep simple at the ballpark, I'm simple hamburger/popcorn and water kind of guy if I get something to eat, I never get the specialty items, so I won't be any help there.

The all you can eat seats are down the RF line as well if you're into that sort of thing.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Jake Gatewood feeling comfortable in new position with Timber Rattlers

by Josh Moser, Fox11Online

GRAND CHUTE — It's completely new positioning, footwork and timing. Jake Gatewood is making the switch from shortstop to third base now in his second season of professional baseball.

"At first I had really never played third," said the Timber Rattler. "I played a few games when I was like 13. The first week of spring training I was all over the place. I feel like it was the timing for me, sometimes you're waiting on the first baseman to get to first. Once I get that I feel like it will be a lot easier."

"He's that prototypical third base body," added Timber Rattlers Manager Matt Erickson. "If you look at our organization right now we do have a lot of shortstops and if you look up the chain there's not a lot of bodies like that playing third base."

Since the move, Gatewood has been paired on the left side of the infield with another top prospect Isan Diaz. The two have become very close and now make up one of the best five-six combinations at this level.

"It's always fun to have him on that side and hopefully well be on that side together in the big leagues someday," said Diaz, a Brewers Top 20 minor league prospect.

Just sitting here in the stands watching Gatewood play at third base you can really see him starting to find himself. He really has only been playing the position for about three months and that comfort level at that third base bag is translating to his play at the plate.

"I feel more comfortable in the box. the ball looks like bigger, last year it looked like a golf ball at times, but I think the more you prepare the more comfortable you are in the game," added Gatewood.

Gatewood says it's about being comfortable when you're uncomfortable. The Brewers organization definitely seems comfortable with him and is expecting big things from the former first round compensatory pick.

Hard to believe the t-rats could have 8 guys in the all-star game, 5 hitters and 3 starting pitchers, and still be below .500 and in 7th place...
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived