Brewer Fanatic

Your 2016 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

We will begin to see some formal minor league roster announcements soon. The formal announcement will come directly from the Timber Rattlers, not the Brewers. All four minor league affiliates will likely send out their press releases within an hour or so of each other once the Brewers have given them the official go-ahead to do so.

Opening Night is Thursday 4/7!

Feel free to link to any formal notices you see here.

Often we learn via farmhand tweets, who has been assigned where, prior to the formal affiliate announcements. We'll link to any of those posts in this thread as they come out.

As you might know, we use the "Your 2016" threads to post and link to feature stories that are outside the scope of game activity covered in the Daily Link Report.

These threads have become among the most popular for viewing here, and we look forward to kicking them off formally.

Please don't speculate here at this time, this is an anxious time for many on the farm, and unfortunately we're also going to learn about several player releases in the next few days, in addition to those players excited about their assignments.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prior to even our top 5 pick & draft, we already have our greatest & most loaded Helena team....

Walters, Fortuno, Lindell, Supak, Massaki (if recovered) all seem to start there

Demi O, Trent Clark, Joantgel Segovia, Malik Colleymore, Franley Mallen, Gilbert Lara, Nichols Pierre....

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Staff

LINK includes video interview with Matt Erickson

Timber Rattlers expect improvement

Tim Froberg, Post-Crescent

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/507834e23b9c1f0095084a127728907ce9763910/c=58-0-3191-2350&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/04/05/Appleton/B9321630368Z.1_20160405200509_000_GFBDVPV6N.1-0.jpg

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson gathers the team in the outfield during a workout as part of FanFest at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium on Tuesday in Grand Chute. (Photo: Wm. Glasheen)

GRAND CHUTE - As the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers learned in 2015, the Midwest League can be a difficult starting point for professional ballplayers.

Experience works wonders for young hitters and pitchers, which is why Matt Erickson is optimistic his Timber Rattlers will find much better results this season.

The Rattlers are coming off a dismal 50-89 season — the organization’s worst showing since 1973 when it was a Chicago White Sox affiliate.

But that was last year, and Wisconsin returns 11 players who played at least part of the 2015 season with a youthful Rattlers team loaded with 19-, 20- and 21-year-olds.

“We still have a very young group, but the difference is that we have a lot of guys with Midwest League experience,” said Erickson during Media Day at Fox Cities Stadium on Tuesday. “I look for them to lead a bit and I was very excited to see the level of energy we had the last few days of spring training. That’s usually when you get a lull. You could tell this group was excited to get out of spring training and see what it could do in the Midwest League.

“I’m excited about the potential of this team. I know that’s the dreaded word, potential. It’s our job as a staff to turn that potential into game skills.”

Wisconsin opens its season Thursday night at Beloit before staging its home opener Saturday at 4:05 p.m. against the Snappers.

Improving run production figures to be a priority for a Rattlers squad that hit just .236 last season and averaged just 3.3 runs per game. A couple of high 2014 Milwaukee Brewers’ draft picks — third baseman Jake Gatewood and outfielder Monte Harrison — should help upgrade the offense along with first baseman (turned outfielder) David Denson and 19-year-old shortstop Isan Diaz.

Gatewood, Harrison and Denson spent time with the Timber Rattlers last season, but struggled to find consistency. All three hit with power and so does Diaz, acquired from Arizona in the Jean Segura trade. Wisconsin’s home-run leader in 2014 was third baseman Sthervin Matos, who hit just eight round-trippers. Matos is another returning player, but might have to find a new position if Gatewood makes a successful transition from shortstop to third base.

“When Jake (Gatewood) has some barrel control and connects with the ball, there’s just a different sound off his bat than you find with most young guys,” said Erickson, starting his sixth season as manager.

With the Brewers in a rebuilding mode, Erickson said that Rattlers players understand that opportunity is right in front of them.

“That was addressed in spring training with all of our minor league players,” said Erickson. “The Brewers are in a situation where they are trying to find people and there are going to be lot of young kids who are going to get opportunities in the next few years. Hopefully, we can prepare as many kids as possible to perform well, so they can stick in the big leagues and be a big part of the ongoing development of the team.”

No bullpen blues

Wisconsin’s pitching staff was respectable in 2015 — compiling a 4.11 ERA — and returns two pitchers from last season: right-handers David Burkhalter (4-9, 4.99 ERA) and Jon Perrin (1-5, 4.31 ERA). Erickson feels the Rattlers’ bullpen will be much stronger this season.

“We have a bullpen that’s a little more established, a little bit older, and with a little more savvy,” said Erickson. “So I feel confident that if we get a lead, we should be able to hang on this year.”

Getting the start

Wisconsin’s opening-day starter will be 21-year-old left-hander Jake Drossner, a 10th-round draft pick by Milwaukee in the 2015 major league draft.

“He had quite a few innings last year and showed a lot of consistency through instructional league,” Erickson said. “He’s a bigger kid who is able to control his breaking ball as well as locate his fastball. He had a rough patch in spring training, but did a nice job of bouncing back from that in the last couple outings and was very strong in his last outing. He was the guy to get the ball and we’ll see what we get Thursday night.”

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Drossner posted a 4-3 record with a 3.64 ERA in seven starts and 14 games last season in rookie league ball at Helena. He played three years of college baseball at Maryland.

“I’m just looking to go out and compete and give my team a chance to win,” said Drossner. “I was the opening-day starter all three years in college, but we have a long season, so it’s just another day.”

Don’t expect Drossner to be affected by the cool Wisconsin weather that will greet him Thursday in Beloit.

“It gets a little cold around here, but I’m from Philadelphia, so I’m used to it,” Drossner said. “We have a great team and I’m looking forward to playing with these guys.”

Perrin will get the start Saturday for Wisconsin’s home opener.

But no parkas

When asked as a returning player what his advice would be to Wisconsin newcomers, Gatewood had a quick answer.

“Get hand warmers and wear a lot of long sleeves,” said Gatewood, a Clovis, California, native and the 41st overall selection by Milwaukee in the 2014 draft.

Jason Rogers coming back for his bobble head game on the 30th?

Just curious, why are you asking that question? Did you hear that was the case from somewhere?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers duo confident about future

Mike Sherry, Appleton Post-Crescent

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/960e140027ca232778d8767fc46a812469e76336/c=0-26-3250-2464&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/04/07/Appleton/B9321645433Z.1_20160407000355_000_GFBDVPV5U.1-0.jpg

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers infielder Jake Gatewood signs an autograph during FanFest Tuesday at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. (Photo: Wm. Glasheen)

GRAND CHUTE - With very few exceptions, the path from high school baseball star to the major leagues is paved with potholes and adversity is a constant companion.

It’s a lesson that Milwaukee Brewers prospects Jake Gatewood and Monte Harrison have already learned.

The athletically gifted duo returns to Wisconsin this spring, Gatewood at a new position and Harrison on a surgically repaired left ankle. But the talented 20-year-olds begin their third seasons of professional baseball confident their struggles are in the rear-view mirror.

Gatewood, drafted as a shortstop, will be at third base when the Timber Rattlers open the Midwest League season Thursday in Beloit, while Harrison will be in center field and says he’s 100 percent healthy after a long rehabilitation.

Appleton native Matt Erickson, who begins his sixth season as Timber Rattlers manager, remains excited about the future for both players.

“Those are two guys that came up here, were thrown in the fire as very young men last year, maybe a little bit above their competitive balance so to speak as far as just starting their professional careers, but both had very good spring trainings this year and we look for them to lead our ballclub this year,” Erickson said.

Selected by the Brewers nine picks apart in the 2014 draft — Gatewood with the 41st overall pick and Harrison with the 50th pick — they started the 2015 season with the Timber Rattlers, but struggled against older competition and were sent back to the Brewers’ rookie team in Helena in June.

Once in Montana, both started showing the tools that made them high draft picks.

Gatewood batted .274 in 54 games and ranked second in the Pioneer League in doubles (23) and tied for fourth in extra-base hits (30), eventually returning to Wisconsin in August to finish out the season. Harrison batted .299 in 28 games at Helena, including a .400 average in 17 games in July before his season ended abruptly when he broke his ankle rounding third base against Orem on July 21.

Gatewood, a California native, says he’s not upset about leaving shortstop and knows that playing third base could give him a quicker path to Milwaukee.

“I’m not disappointed at all,” he said. “I think it wasn’t a move because I couldn’t play there, which is something they told me in spring. It was more of a move because we just didn’t have a lot of third baseman. My body type and the way I hit fits as a third baseman, so that’s what I’m doing right now.”

Erickson said Gatewood has adjusted well to the position switch and has shown good footwork at third base, where going front to back is more important than having side-to-side range.

“Every single ball pretty much hit at you is a rocket,” Gatewood said. “So, mentally, it’s a little different. I think that part’s a little tougher than short, but it’s also easier on your body, too, so that’s helped me a lot hitting-wise. But probably the biggest thing is everybody’s hitting rockets at you.”

Gatewood, who batted .209 in 55 games in Wisconsin last year, said the game slowed down for him during his time in Helena and he really focused on swinging at good pitches.

“I think realizing that you’re not going to get a hit every time is one thing that I really learned in Helena,” he said. “Regardless if you don’t get a hit maybe your first three at-bats, you can still go 2-for-5 and you’re hitting .400, and last time I checked .400 is pretty good.”

Harrison, a native of Kansas City, Missouri, will have few limitations as he returns to action. Erickson said the former University of Nebraska football recruit may get a few extra days off early in the season, but added “physically he looks like he hasn’t lost a step.”

Harrison, who had surgery to repair a fracture in his tibia and a dislocated fibula in his ankle, said it was disappointing to get injured just as he was hitting his stride last season, but he took a positive approach to his comeback.

“I mean, it was very difficult, but I learned a lot from my injury,” he said. “Just knowing my body and things and watching the game. It’s going to sound weird, but I’m kind of glad it happened to me just so the game could slow down and get me really thinking about things. It’s a blessing that it happened, kind of.”

Harrison will see most of his time in center field, but Erickson said he will also play in right field.

“I want to play center field. I’m an athlete and that’s where athletes play,” Harrison said confidently.

With the Brewers undergoing a rebuilding process, both Gatewood and Harrison know all eyes will be on the maturation of young talent throughout the organization.

But as they’ve already learned, nothing will be easy and nothing will be handed to them.

“It’s very exciting, but you can’t really think about moving up,” Harrison said. “You just have to play the game every day. That’s where you get in trouble. You start thinking about little things, ‘Oh, I’m doing this, or when am I going to get moved up?’ That’s where you get in trouble.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rattlers shortstop Diaz has a bright future

Tim Froberg, Appleton Post-Crescent

VIDEO interview is also at the link

GRAND CHUTE - Chase Anderson and Aaron Hill will likely be long gone by the time Isan Diaz reaches Miller Park.

That won’t be a problem if David Stearns and the Milwaukee Brewers were correct in their initial assessment of the promising middle infielder.

Diaz has a challenging path ahead of him, but is expected to eventually find a home in Milwaukee and provide a future return on the Jean Segura trade.

Diaz, Anderson and Hill were acquired from the Arizona Diamondbacks in February for Segura and another former Timber Rattlers pitcher, Tyler Wagner. The deal might have died had Arizona refused to include Diaz in the package, and he’s the only one of the trio considered to be part of the Brewers’ future.

The swap already has received a thumbs up from Wisconsin manager Matt Erickson, who is counting on the talented Diaz to fill a prominent role with his 2016 Timber Rattlers. He is the highest-rated Brewers prospect on the Rattlers’ roster, ranked No. 11 by MLB Pipeline.

“Looks like a great trade, another talented kid,” said Erickson. “David (Stearns, Milwaukee’s GM) talks about getting those young, talented controllable players and this looks like another one. He had some professional experience last year and was very successful, and you could see those skills on the field in spring training.”

Diaz will play shortstop for the Rattlers, but with top prospect Orlando Arcia projected as Milwaukee’s long-term starter at the position, Diaz might be shifted to second base at some point during his professional career. Some consider him to be the Brewers’ second baseman of the future.

Diaz would be perfectly OK with a position switch, but that’s down the road.

“I’ve always played shortstop,” said Diaz. “My focus right now is to become the perfect shortstop, the best shortstop I can be. Once the time comes where I have to move over — if it ever happens — I’ll pay more attention to that side of the field.”

Diaz has a strong all-around skill set, but his bat appears to be the tool that might get him to the majors. A left-handed hitter with exceptional bat speed, Diaz makes hard contact and hits to all fields. He was selected as the MVP of the Pioneer League last season at Missoula, Arizona’s rookie league affiliate, where he hit .360 with 13 home runs and 51 RBI.

“He’s got an uncanny knack of finding the barrel (of the bat) consistently and has the ability to spray the ball around the field and he’s shown a little pop,” said Erickson. “He’s not just another defensive gem at shortstop. It looks like he has some offensive possibilities.”

Diaz led the Pioneer League in doubles (25) and slugging percentage (.640), while finished second in hits (98). His big 2015 season was a major improvement from 2014 when he hit just .187 with three homers and 21 RBIs in 182 at-bats for the Arizona League Diamondbacks. He has opened the season hitting third in the Timber Rattlers’ lineup.

“As a hitter, I just try and stick to my approach,” Diaz said. “I try to go up there thinking that I’m not the one in trouble, the pitcher is. You need to go up there with a mind to attack, and you have to stick with your game plan.”

The 5-foot-10, 196-pound Diaz runs well (12 stolen bases last season) and is considered to be solid defensively. He also carries himself with more maturity than one might expect from a 19-year-old.

“This season I just want to help this team win,” said Diaz. “I want to be a great teammate and get to understand more of the game and different ways to bounce back from struggles. I know last season was a great season for me, but you have to put that behind you, because it’s a new season.

“For me, the key thing this year is to be the best defensive player I can be.”

Diaz was born in Puerto Rico, but grew up in Springfield. Massachusetts. He was the 70th overall selection by the Diamondbacks in the 2014 draft, receiving a reported signing bonus of $750,000. Diaz turned down a scholarship offer from Vanderbilt to turn pro.

“That was a very tough decision,” Diaz said. “I was looking forward to going to school there since I was a sophomore in high school. But things happened. I’ve always wanted to become a professional player. That’s always been my dream, and here I am.”

Diaz has been impressed with his new work environment in Grand Chute and the facilities at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. And he’s fully prepared for the cold April temperatures in Wisconsin.

“I’m from Massachusetts, so I’m a little more used to it than some of the other guys,” he said. “I’ve got more cold gear than warm gear, so I’m ready for it. Appleton is a great place to play and this is a beautiful facility. I’m very blessed to be here and look forward to the season.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

David Lucroy looking to make a name for himself in pro ball

Tim Froberg, Appleton Post-Crescent

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/6ac83127546a841de6266e08f914cbd7b8bd8c70/c=0-222-2656-3764&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/2016/04/11/Appleton/B9321712801Z.1_20160411234406_000_GOKE1QTPS.1-0.jpg

David Lucroy made his Timber Rattlers debut Sunday and pitched two scoreless innings to pick up his second professional save. (Photo: Courtesy of Ann Mollica/Wisconsin Timber Rattlers)

GRAND CHUTE - He’s trying to get to the same work place as his older brother, but David Lucroy doesn’t seem to be the type who will struggle with an identity crisis.

That’s because Lucroy knows who he is, and what he does best on the diamond.

He also understands that he will be evaluated solely by production and that his numbers — not his last name — will determine whether he reaches “The Show.”

The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers’ relief pitcher is the younger brother of Milwaukee Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy, and he’s not a dull interview. Less than a week into the Rattlers’ season, David Lucroy has shown a low-90s fastball, a sharp mind and a lively sense of humor.

The 23-year-old right-hander made his Wisconsin debut Sunday in the opening game of a doubleheader, and it was a solid one. He threw two scoreless innings to pick up his first save as a Rattler and the second of his professional career.

What was working for Lucroy? It didn’t hurt that he was amped when he took the mound and felt the adrenaline flowing on a gray 39-degree afternoon in which a community bonfire would have come in handy for fans, players and coaches gathered for Wisconsin’s home opener.

“What was working for me today was that it was my first outing and I was jacked up to get out there,” said Lucroy. “It was fun. Coming out of spring training, you feel like you’re in kind of a cocoon, and then all of a sudden you’re out there in your first outing and it turns out to be a save in a good game.”

Unlike his brother’s work place at Miller Park, there is no retractable roof at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium, but Lucroy wasn’t fazed by the chilly weather.

He would have pitched in a t-shirt, shorts and sandals had he been asked to do so, and refused to wear sleeves underneath his jersey for Wisconsin’s first two games in teeth-chattering weather at Beloit.

“Let me just start out by saying, Phoenix, Arizona right now is beautiful,” said Lucroy with a smile. “But it is what it is. If you let that get in your head, then you have already failed. You have to go out and realize that it’s not about that. It’s about what you do. It’s not about the conditions. It should make you tougher and want to play better.

“I know for me, if I’m in an adverse situation or bad weather, it makes me want to work harder. Anyone who would want to doubt what you’ve done or your ability, you can always say, ‘Well, it was freezing cold out there.”

Besides, Lucroy claims he has already learned the secret of staying warm, and it’s an interesting concept.

“I’ll tell you what we did the other day,” said Lucroy. “I learned this in the dugout. We huddled up like penguins and it worked. You know, like the penguins on Planet Earth, where they all kind of got together and protected the egg. Well we did that. It seemed like everyone was protecting me, and it was nice. I guess I was the egg.”

If that’s the case, it’s one big egg. The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Lucroy has good size to match his powerful right arm and is taller and heavier than Jonathan. He played three seasons of college baseball at East Carolina University before the Brewers drafted him in the 20th round of last summer’s draft. Lucroy was originally a 29th round selection by Milwaukee out of high school in 2011, but opted to go the college route.

In his first season of pro ball in 2015, Lucroy posted a 3-3 record with a 5.86 earned run average and 33 strikeouts in 43 innings for the Arizona Brewers.

‘I was glad to see he had sleeves on today, because he didn’t have sleeves on during this cold weather,” said Wisconsin manager Matt Erickson following Sunday’s doubleheader split with Beloit. “He was trying to be a tough guy. But he did a nice job of holding the lead. He needs to get his ball down a little more, but he was able to mix in his curveball for strikes. Any time you can do that, it gets people off your fastball.”

David is six years younger than Jonathan, and one of three boys raised by Steve and Karen Lucroy. Both Jonathan and David attended Umatilla High School in Lake County, Florida, about 44 miles from Orlando. The Lucroy’s other son, Matthew, isn’t employed in baseball, but knows a thing or two about saves, working as an emergency medical technician/firefighter.

David has fielded constant questions about being Jonathan’s little brother since he was in high school, but isn’t uncomfortable with the subject. He takes pride in what his brother has done and knows he has to blaze his own trail to the big leagues.

“I think anyone would tell you they want to make their own name,” said David. “Obviously, I’m proud of the way he’s played. I’m proud of his accomplishments. He’s a great baseball player. But when it comes right down to it, he’s just another guy in professional baseball and I’m just another guy in professional baseball. It doesn’t have anything to do with who we are, or what our relation is.

“I don’t necessarily like being compared to him, but there’s not really any comparison to make. I don’t hit. I don’t catch. I pitch. He doesn’t pitch.”

Still, having an established major leaguer like Jonathan — the starting catcher for the National League in the 2014 All-Star Game — for a brother has its advantages. The Lucroy boys stay in regular contact and David listens when Jonathan offers advice.

“Any time you have somebody who has been there and done that, they have a lot of valuable stuff they can offer you,” said David. “The biggest thing he’s given me is a way to approach it.

“He’s challenged me to make a name for myself. That’s the biggest thing — to have somebody supporting you who knows things. You have to go out and make a name for yourself, regardless of who you are. But to have him pushing me along the way, knowing that he knows what he’s doing, it’s nice.”

With David being in the initial stages of his pro career and facing some odds as a low draft pick, it’s too early to tell if the Lucroy brothers will ever get a chance to play together, or against one another other at the big league level.

Until then, David will focus on absorbing as much baseball knowledge as he can from people like Erickson, Timber Rattlers pitching coach Gary Lucas and an older brother who works behind the plate at Miller Park.

He’s already figured out a trick to staying warm at the ballpark, thanks to that curious huddled penguins theory.

Just curious, why are you asking that question? Did you hear that was the case from somewhere?

No, totally was sarcasm. Find it kind of weird that they are still having the bobble head day for a player that was traded and no longer in the organization. Seems like they would have had enough time to switch it to a different player. The bobble heads can't be made that far in advance.

No, totally was sarcasm. Find it kind of weird that they are still having the bobble head day for a player that was traded and no longer in the organization. Seems like they would have had enough time to switch it to a different player. The bobble heads can't be made that far in advance.

They still do David Ortiz, Alex Rodriquez, King Felix, Shin Soo Choo type stuff. They care more about the guys who played there than who is a Brewer. Jason Rogers was a big part of their championship team so they gave him a bobblehead because the fans who attend games remember and cared about his performance/importance.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

^ what Geezy said...

I'd like to add that former T-Rats players, with the organization or not, are far better than more Hank the Freaking Dog bobbles...

I like it when they do former players from a nostalgia perspective, even if they are no longer with the organization. T-Rats fans are still T-Rats fans, and those of us who go to a lot of games for a lot of years appreciate the resin statues of our memories.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

That makes sense for the bobble heads, I looked at it from a strictly Brewers perspective I guess.

I've been a Brewer fan my whole life, and oddly have never made it to a Timber Rattlers game. I attend around 15 Brewers games each year, follow their minor league teams and players, but haven't got to a T-Rats game. Even dumber is that I live north of Green Bay, so it is a lot farther for me to go to Milwaukee. I've already bought tickets to 2 games this year though, so we'll burst the bubble. That is how I noticed the Rogers bobble head day.

I went with first row behind home plate for 1 game for just my wife and I, and then grass for the other (we have a 2 yr old, so grass seats, Curious George, and fireworks was an easy sell).

I thought the pricing/promotions were really good as I browsed through the website. Having never been to the stadium was curious what are your favorite seats for those that have attended games there?

Having never been to the stadium was curious what are your favorite seats for those that have attended games there?

Depends who I'm going with. If I'm going with my wife and/or son, I like to sit behind home plate. (True for any baseball game.)

But if we go with friends, most of them wouldn't know Jake Gatewood from "Jake from State Farm" so I can't play close attention to the game. That's when we usually get a table or two down the LF/RF lines. That's a really good idea by the TRats by the way.

You'll also be happy (or unhappy) to know they have a playground inside the ballpark. And hills to run and roll around on. So your 2 yr old will have a blast.

Finally, I was reminded again how lucky we are to have TRats in WI. Just came back from a game at Brevard. Just horrendous experience compared to Appleton.

Archived