Brewer Fanatic

Your 2016 Brevard County Manatees

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

We will begin to see some formal minor league roster announcements soon. The formal announcement will come directly from the Manatees, not the Brewers. All four minor league affiliates will likely send out their press releases within an hour or so of each other once the Brewers have given them the official go-ahead to do so.

Opening Night is Thursday 4/7!

Feel free to link to any formal notices you see here.

Often we learn via farmhand tweets, who has been assigned where, prior to the formal affiliate announcements. We'll link to any of those posts in this thread as they come out.

As you might know, we use the "Your 2016" threads to post and link to feature stories that are outside the scope of game activity covered in the Daily Link Report.

These threads have become among the most popular for viewing here, and we look forward to kicking them off formally.

Please don't speculate here at this time, this is an anxious time for many on the farm, and unfortunately we're also going to learn about several player releases in the next few days, in addition to those players excited about their assignments.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Looks like infielder George Iskenderian (7th round, UMiami) is jumping over Wisconsin, on his way to Brevard. He played second base exclusively in '15.

Others to skip over the low A level are RHP's Bubba Derby, Jon Olczak and Junior Rincon, LHP Brad Kuntz, and IF Jose Cuas.

RHP Devin Williams among the missing now...

Seem to be missing quite a few names. Williams, Leal, Gainey, Terry, Cotto, Neda and I haven't seen Kohlscheen with an assignment yet. I was somewhat expecting those first six to all be in BC.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Seem to be missing quite a few names. Williams, Leal, Gainey, Terry, Cotto, Neda and I haven't seen Kohlscheen with an assignment yet. I was somewhat expecting those first six to all be in BC.

Cotto and Neda are the only two players who weren't listed as being in some portion of injury rehab based on other posts within this forum.

It hasn't been unusual for newcomers (like Kohlscheen) to acclimate to the system in Maryvale for a bit, prior to an assignment, so we'll see there.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

A reminder you can click on our Player Index and then use the dropdown to see player assignments by level (yes, we know the team names may not be correct, but otherwise the functionality is helpful).

All those not on a current roster who are on some form of injury rehab, short or long-term, are listed on the Maryvale roster for now.

Good points about Devin and some others being missing on any roster. Can anyone account for this? I am just making this up, but could there be an injury or other reason why they have not been assigned such that they are kept under the organizational umbrella and they get assigned when ready (healthy or whatever reason)?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

LINK includes a video interview with several of the quotes below --

Clint Coulter brings power bat, arm to Milwaukee Brewers

David Dorsey, Fort Myers News-Press

Clint Coulter, owner of the highest-rated throwing arm in the Florida State League and wielder of his team’s most powerful bat, hopes to bring that skill set to the Milwaukee Brewers in the near future.

Coulter’s future also could include an appearance in the Florida State League All-Star game, to be played June 18 at Hammond Stadium, home of the Fort Myers Miracle and spring training home of the Minnesota Twins.

The 6-foot-3, 222-pound Coulter, 22, joined the Brewers as a first-round draft pick, 27th overall, in 2012 out of Union High School in Camas, Washington.

Coulter starts at right field for the Brevard County Manatees and is ranked the No. 7 prospect in the Brewers organization.

“I’m from Washington state,” Coulter said. “Hopefully I can continue to prepare myself until I’m ready for the next level.

“It was definitely a big jump from low A to high A. It was probably the biggest jump I’ve had to make. The pitching is definitely a lot better. And the environment is a lot different from what I’ve ever played in. I came from the northwest. We didn’t have the humidity. We didn’t have these storms coming in.”

Prior to Florida, Coulter played in Helena, Montana, and Appleton, Wisconsin in the lower level minor leagues. He played in all but three of Brevard County’s 140 games last season. He hit .246 (123-for-499) with a team-best 13 home runs and 59 RBI. He had a .329 on-base percentage, drawing 46 walks with 92 strikeouts.

“I’m going to come out every day,” Coulter said. “If there are 140 games, I’m going to play 140 games. I’ll be ready to play every day. I’ve got some power. I led the team in homers last year. I’ve been hitting in the middle of the order. Hopefully, I’ll put the ball in play.”

For every base Coulter stole last season – six – he was caught that many times, too. But Coulter is what he is.

“I think with a lot of things, you either have it or you don’t,” Coulter said. “It’s kind of like speed. I wasn’t blessed with that. But I’ve got a good arm.”

Manatees manager Joe Ayrault said Coulter should be a candidate for the Double-A Biloxi (Mississippi) Shuckers later this season.

“He’s big and with a powerful swing,” Ayrault said. “He just has to work on the little things. He’s got to work a little bit on his outfield play. He’s doing a good job. Hopefully he’ll be off to a great start the next couple of months.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Manatees place 2 on the 12 team BA Top 20 Florida State League Prospect List.

6. Corey Ray, of, Brevard County (Brewers

16. Brandon Woodruff, rhp, Brevard County (Brewers)

Matt (Madison): Could we see Woodruff in MIL next year? Can he be a solid MOR starter if the control gains remain intact?

John Manuel: Next year seems aggressive, but it’s that kind of arm, and he really took off this year. Don’t forget, the guy was a fifth-round pick out of high school. He’s always had big-time talent; kudos to the Brewers for bringing it out of him.

Larry (Milwaukee): What happened to Kodi Medeiros? Is he a lost cause?

John Manuel: Not lost but certainly struggled. He had a groin injury and wasn’t able to get his delivery in sync most of the year. I wouldn’t give up hope yet, but that was a non-consensus pick to take him that high at No. 12 overall, and so far, that hasn’t worked out. That whole Brewers ’14 draft class with Kodi & Jacob Gatewood & Monte Harrison … they swung for the fences that year. I remember liking the attempt but it carried a lot of risk, and it seems like risk is winning over reward.

Dave (Appleton, WI): Is Corey Ray good enough defensively to stick in Centerfield or will he eventually have to slide over to a corner outfield spot?

John Manuel: Reports on Ray defensively were solid. He’s clearly got the speed for center. I think it will be a matter of reps and aptitude. He just didn’t get a ton of chances to play center field in college. I don’t think he’s ever going to be Jarrod Dyson out there but he should be able to become an average defender in center.

From the California League Chat

J.P. (Springfield, IL): I see quite a few high ceiling guys didn't play enough in the CAL to qualify, so let's find out - where would Ortiz, Mendez, Bickford, Naylor and Tucker have ranked on this list, were they eligible? Thanks for chatting.

Kyle Glaser: No doubt a lot of the top guys in the league weren’t long enough to qualify. If they had been, 1 thru 4 would have been Luis Ortiz, Phil Bickford, Yohander Mendez and Kyle Tucker, in that order. Naylor would’ve been right around Yusniel Diaz, so that would be the back end of the top 10 in our adjusted rankings including those other top 4 guys

I'm just going to go with the Brewers having the top 2 prospects in the Cali League without fielding a team.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived