Brewer Fanatic

Your 2016 Biloxi Shuckers

Mass Haas
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via the Shuckers --

BILOXI, MS - The Biloxi Shuckers finished off their series of tune-up games before the start of the 2016 regular season with a 17-0 victory over the Jackson State Tigers at MGM Park on Monday night.

Adrian Houser (2 IP, H 2 SO) started the game for Biloxi and worked effectively, using 22 pitches (14 strikes) to get in shape for the opening series.

Javi Salas made his first appearance as a Shucker and had just an inning of work, but did strike out a batter. Former Rule 5 pick Wei-Chung Wang had the most work out of the bullpen, tossing three innings while giving up a hit, walking a batter and punching out four. Martin Viramontes finished the game with a perfect seventh, striking out Tony Holton to end the game.

Biloxi opened the scoring in the first after Kyle Wren (2x3, 4 R, 2 RBI) started things out with a hustle double and moved over to third after Nathan Orf (4x5, HR, 3 R, 4 RBI) grounded out to short. Brett Phillips (2x3, R, 2 RBI, BB) plated the first run with a single to right, bringing home Wren to make the score 1-0.

The Shuckers opened it up in the second with a four-spot as Brandon Macias (3x4, 2 R) singled to lead off the inning and advanced to third on a two-out double by Rene Garcia (2x4, 2 R). Wren singled home both runners with a single to second, leading to Orf's two-run blast onto Caillavet to give Biloxi a five-run cushion.

The Shuckers would bat around in the third and fourth innings', scoring 11 runs over the two frames and open up an even larger cushion.

The Shuckers will take the next two days off before returning to action on Thursday, April 7 against the Chattanooga Lookouts to open up the 2016 regular season. LHP Josh Hader (4-7, 3.03) will get the call for Biloxi, while it has yet to be determined who will be on the mound for the Lookouts. First pitch is scheduled for 6:40 pm, with coverage starting at 6:25 on WGCM 1240 AM and WPMO 1580 AM, and the TuneIn radio app.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Biloxi Shuckers ready to make another run at Southern League Championship

BILOXI, MS (WLOX) - On Monday the Biloxi Shuckers held media day at MGM Park. New manager Mike Guerrero believes the 2016 Shuckers have the talent to make plenty of noise in the Southern League.

The Shuckers open the new season with a seven game home series at MGM Park with a rematch with Chattanooga beginning 6:40 Thursday night. The Shuckers will play five games against the Lookouts, the defending Southern League Champs who beat Biloxi in the league championship. Those games will be played Thursday through Monday. Next Tuesday and Wednesday the Shuckers will entertain the Mobile BayBears.

Guerrero said, "I think we have the ability to go out there and win a championship. I believe there's a lot of talent on this club. What I'm saying is the will of a person is bigger than your talent. So, the will of the team will be bigger to pave the task."

To get the top of the mountain pitching will be key.

"The starting pitching is pretty good, "stated Guerrero. "There's a lot of experience to this level coming in. I would say we're going to face adversity, but I believe during the course of the season, they're going to come out successful."

Shuckers pitching coach Chris Hook did an outstanding job last season and while a number of the key pitchers have been called up, Hook feels like he has a lot of talent to work with this season.

Josh Hader and Adrian Houser didn't join the team until late following a trade with the Houston Astros and Milwaukee Brewers.

Pitcher Jaye Chapman started the season with the Shuckers last season and posted 4 wins and 2 losses with a 0.82 earned run average before he made his way to Triple A. He's back.

"My immediate goal right now, just go execute my pitches, "said Chapman. "I want to find my place on this team and help them win. Like I said, winning is what it's all about.

In 2012 Chapman pitched with the Chicago Cubs before two hip surgeries curtailed his major league career. He's hoping to use the Shuckers as a launching pad to make his way back to the Majors.

The addition of new manager Mike Guerrero gives the Shuckers two Guerrero's on the Biloxi roster. Shuckers hitting coach Sandy Guerrero is back for his second season with the Shuckers.

Mike Guerreo said, "I think it's going to be fun. There is not an excuse that I don't know my hitting coach. He's been in baseball for a long time. I've been in baseball a little longer than he has as a coach and as a manager. It's the first time that two Dominican Republic guys come to be coaches on the same team in the states. I'm looking forward to it."

Center fielder Brett Phillips who was included in the Brewers-Astros trade is a young man loaded with talent. He believes the 2016 Shuckers could be a better overall team compared to the 2015 Shuckers.

On Monday night the Shuckers entertained the Jackson State Tigers in an exhibition game and as expected Biloxi dominated JSU 17-0.

Get ready for Biloxi Shuckers baseball beginning 6:40 Thursday night at MGM Park.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Photos and video at link --

Shuckers should bring plenty of pop to plate in 2016

By Patrick Magee, Biloxi Sun-Herald

BILOXI -- The Biloxi Shuckers gained a minor national following in 2015 thanks to a 54-game road trip that inspired ESPN and several national publications to tell their tale.

On Thursday, the 2016 Shuckers will begin to write their own story.

A year after coming up one win short of the Southern League title, the Shuckers open their season at MGM Park at 6:40 p.m. on Thursday against the Chattanooga Lookouts.

While top prospects like shortstop Orlando Arcia and right-hander Jorge Lopez have moved up to Triple-A, there's no lack of talent on this year's squad.

Center fielder Brett Phillips is ranked No. 57 on Baseball America's list of the top 100 prospects in Minor League Baseball and newly-acquired catcher Jacob Nottingham seems likely to join him soon on that list.

Phillips and Nottingham both hit homers in Saturday's exhibition contest against the Brewers at MGM Park. That likely won't be the last time both men go deep in the same game.

"I think we've got a really deep team again offensively," Shuckers infielder Nathan Orf said. "We've got some young guys. Nottingham is a young guy and the sky is the limit for him. We'll have Phillips for a while year this year. It's an exciting time for fans. I think playing in this ballpark will also help us put up a few more runs."

Phillips batted .309 with 16 homers and 77 RBIs between Single-A and Double-A last season. He was traded from Houston to Milwaukee on July 30. After hitting .250 in 80 at-bats at Biloxi last season, his numbers should see a big bounce this season.

Nottingham, who was acquired by the Brewers from Oakland in February, batted .316 with 17 homers and 82 RBIs at Class A last season.

Nottingham, who turned 21 Sunday, has built a reputation as a solid power hitter, but he's no slouch behind the plate either.

Daniel Tillman, who will share closing duties with Jaye Chapman early in the season, had the chance to throw to Nottingham a couple of times in the spring.

"To be honest, I was really surprised at how good he was," Tillman said. "Most young catchers stink. That's just the way it is. They're just immature behind the plate. He is a big kid. He sucks it up real well and keeps the ball inside of his body when he blocks it. I haven't seen anything he does bad yet."

Corner infielder Garrett Cooper, who batted .552 in 29 at-bats at Biloxi last season, also adds some pop to the Biloxi lineup.

Victor Roache hit 18 homers total while splitting last season between Single-A and Double-A and will again be inserted into the middle of the lineup.

When the Shuckers were at their best early in the season in 2015, Kyle Wren was the man at the top of the batting order. He's back at Biloxi this year after hitting .300 in 227 at-bats with 20 stolen bases for the Shuckers last year.

Orf also proved a good run producer near the top of the lineup last season, batting .274 with 65 runs scored.

In the pitching rotation, left-handed ace Josh Hader and right-hander Adrian Houser both had sub-3.00 ERAs last season in seven starts a piece at Biloxi.

Six-foot-4 right-hander Javier Salas, who went 8-8 with a 4.13 ERA in 24 games at Class A Brevard County (Fla.) last season, will also likely be near the top of the rotation.

Biloxi replaces its top two starting pitchers from 2015 in Lopez and Tyler Wagner, who was traded to Arizona, but the Shuckers staff is confident it has the pitching depth necessary to compete in the Southern League.

"With Hader and myself returning and the three guys we've got with us, I think we can be pretty good," Houser said. "We're all trying to do the same thing and help the team win. I think we've got a chance at being really good, maybe even matching what we did last year."

Are they really going with Garrett Cooper at third?

I don't believe so.... Orf & Macias probably will get most of the starts there. Maybe Shaw a few. Only way Cooper is over there is if they are really trying to increase versatility for future. He is 6'6+, like Corey Hart, not sure him at 3B is the idea position. No clue why he is listed there. All his instagram pics are him in the field at 1B. He has only 5 career rookie ball games in Arizona at 3B.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Shuckers host Lookouts as 2016 campaign begins

by Patrick Magee, Biloxi Sun-Herald

Minor league baseball's road warriors of 2015 begin the new campaign at home Thursday night.

Following a pair of exhibition games at MGM Park, the Biloxi Shuckers begin the 2016 regular season with a 6:40 p.m. home game against the Chattanooga Lookouts.

After spending the first 54 games of the 2015 season on the road due to delays in the construction of MGM Park, the Shuckers begin this year with a seven-game home stand.

Last year's squad developed a strong bond through their shared experience on the road and the light mood in the clubhouse this week seems to indicate this year will provide much of the same.

"I think it's a pretty good group," first-year Biloxi manager Mike Guerrero said. "Part of what we're looking for as an organization, chemistry is a big part. We have pretty good talent, pretty good guys. I think we're looking forward to playing our hearts out on the field."

The five-game series with Chattanooga serves as a rematch of last season's Southern League Championship Series that ended in a 3-2 series win for the Lookouts.

Much like the Shuckers, many of the most talented Lookouts of 2015 have moved up the chain in the Minnesota Twins' system.

Doug Mientkiewicz, a former Twins first baseman, is back as the manager for Chattanooga, but he no longer has 2015 Southern League MVP Max Kepler in his lineup or several other top prospects who have been promoted.

The Shuckers no longer have the talented pitching duo of Jorge Lopez and Tyler Wagner or the gifted bats of Orlando Arcia or Michael Reed.

There will, however, be several familiar faces in the lineup when Biloxi starts the 2016 season.

Nathan Orf, a fan favorite who shifted to a variety of positions last season, will again be on the infield this year after batting .274 in 2015.

While there are changes on the roster, Orf sees a similar team makeup compared to last year's squad.

"I think it's kind of similar to last year as in we have older guys with experience and young energy guys like (shortstop Javier Betancourt). He's a high energy guy, great player," Orf said. "We have kind of a good mix of everything. It's an exciting time to see what we have."

Five of the seven infielders listed on the Biloxi roster spent significant time with the Shuckers last season. The only new names are second baseman Chris McFarland, who was at Single-A last season, and Betancourt, who was acquired from the Detroit Tigers in November.

All four of the Shuckers' outfielders had healthy stints in Biloxi last year -- Brett Phillips, Victor Roache, Tyrone Taylor and Kyle Wren.

The newest star in the Biloxi lineup is catcher Jacob Nottingham, a power-hitting catcher acquired in a February trade with the Oakland Athletics.

Corner infielder Garrett Cooper, first baseman Nick Ramirez, Nottingham, Phillips and Roache should provide plenty of the long ball for fans at MGM Park this season. The five combined for 73 homers total last year and Nottingham, Cooper and Roache could see their power numbers take another step forward this season.

Left-hander Josh Hader will get the start for the Shuckers Thursday and Chattanooga will counter with a lefty of its own, Jason Wheeler -- the SLCS MVP last year.

Hader finished the 2015 season in Biloxi with a 1-4 record and 2.79 ERA in seven starts.

Wheeler was 4-3 with a 3.92 ERA in 10 starts for Chattanooga last season.

Right-hander Javi Salas will start for Biloxi Friday and righty Adrian Houser will make the first pitch Saturday.

"We've got really good pitching, guys that throw strikes and know how to pitch," Hader said. "It's definitely looking good from the pitching standpoint."

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

It's all in the hips: Shuckers closer Chapman thrives after major surgeries

Patrick Magee, Biloxi Sun-Herald

http://www.sunherald.com/latest-news/o1o0to/picture72730487/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/0420_bisp_jaye%20chapman%2002.jpg

Photo by Tim Isbell, the Sun-Herald

Jaye Chapman has become one of the more durable relief pitchers in the Milwaukee Brewers organization, and he's done it despite going through double hip surgery in 2013.

The Biloxi Shuckers closer has been perfect on the mound in five appearances this season. Chapman, who has seven strikeouts and no walks, hasn't allowed a hit and has four saves with an ERA of 0.00.

After splitting time between Double-A Biloxi and Triple-A Colorado Springs in 2015, the 28-year-old Chapman appears a man set to take one step closer to getting back to the big leagues.

The native of Panama City, Fla., achieved his dream of becoming a major league player with the Chicago Cubs in 2012, putting together an ERA of 3.75 in 14 appearances.

However, Chapman's lingering hip pain suddenly became a major issue when he tried to make the Cubs for the 2013 season.

"My left hip was killing me," he said. "I could barely pitch, but I tried to tough it out. It was a chance to make a major league team."

'How was he even pitching?'

Chapman was sent to Triple-A Iowa to start the 2013 season and his condition only worsened. He made four appearances and had an ERA of 17.05.

"The pain was just so bad," Chapman said. "I finally told some guys with the Cubs that I can barely throw because my hips hurt so bad. They were shocked about it. Once they found out what was going on, it was 'Holy cow, how was he even pitching?' My labrums were frayed."

Chapman was diagnosed with femoroacetabular impengement, which is a genetic condition that involves bone growth at the head of his thigh bones, causing damage to surrounding tissue.

He had no cartilage tissue remaining in his hips.

At the age of 25, Chapman was facing hip surgery when his baseball career appeared set to reach its pinnacle.

"It was a pretty serious blow," he said. "I was losing a ton of mobility, range of motion. They gave me two options -- lose activity, which means to retire, or have surgeries and try to come back.

"I was 25 and had just made my major league debut. At the same time, I knew I was just a version of what I could be. I knew my hips were inhibiting me. When I was a young kid, I threw very hard. I knew something was going on."

Chapman chose to go through surgery that involved the removal of bone spurs and microfracture procedures on both hips.

He underwent surgery on his right hip, recovered to the point that he could take a full step, and then went back in for the same procedure on the right hip.

The microfracture surgeries, which were done by the Phoenix Coyotes' team doctor, Gary Waslewski, replaced the cartilage in his hips with a tissue that forms like a cartilage-type material thanks to marrow and blood seeping together.

Learning to throw again

Chapman relied on his personal faith and parents to help him battle through the recovery.

When he finally attempted to pitch again, he struggled with the basic mechanics of throwing a baseball.

"About every other throw, I fell down," Chapman said. "My back leg wasn't used to it. I tried to throw a little too hard. That was a little frustrating. Over time, I started being able to throw the ball with some consistency."

In 2014, Chapman played independent baseball with the Bridgeport (Conn.) Bluefish in the Atlantic League. He had a 3.86 ERA in 50 games.

Prior to the 2015 campaign, Chapman signed a minor league deal with the Milwaukee Brewers and Biloxi was his first stop.

A little over a week before the Shuckers had their June 6 home opener last season, Chapman was promoted to Triple-A. He had an ERA of 2.37 with 17 saves in 59 total games last season.

He's progressed even more this year with a fastball in the low 90s and a changeup that frustrates batters.

"I feel way more powerful," Chapman said. "My mobility is better. I feel I'm better than I was with the Cubs."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers power-hitting prospect Victor Roache making strides at the plate

http://www.sunherald.com/latest-news/8sgbof/picture70448477/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/0407_bisp_shuckers%2005.jpg

Victor Roache returns as left fielder for the Biloxi Shuckers, Saturday, Apr. 2, 2016. Tim Isbell photo (Sun-Herald)

Biloxi Shuckers outfielder Victor Roache has always been a man who can hit the long ball.

In college at Georgia Southern, he smacked a nation-leading 30 home runs as a sophomore in 2011. In his three years in the Milwaukee Brewers' organization, Roache has hit at least 18 homers each season.

The next step for Roache is improving on his batting average and doing a better job of getting on base.

The native of Ypsilanti, Mich., has seen a slight uptick in his batting average so far in 2016 with a .283 clip through 16 games. He batted .253 in 2015 while splitting time between Double-A Biloxi and Single-A Brevard County, Fla..

Roache's career batting average as a pro stands at .244 and he has an on base percentage of .316.

He only has one homer so far in 2016, but there's nobody in the Biloxi lineup that can hit the ball harder and farther than the 6-foot-1, 215-pound Roache.

"Once he makes contact with the ball, you know the strength he has," Biloxi manager Mike Guerrero said. "He can become a pretty good hitter. If he chases, that's when hitters get in trouble. He's got to stay away from chasing and be selective about the pitches he's going to hit."

Roache struck out 158 times in 2015 and had a total of 433 K's in his three years as a pro. That's a number that Roache knows he has to improve on going forward.

"I'm a power guy," Roache said. "The main thing for me is to make contact. That's something I've struggled with since I got to pro ball - consistent, solid contact."

Roache and Biloxi hitting coach Sandy Guerrero, the manager's brother, have spent plenty of time going over his approach at the plate. While he can easily clear the 350-foot power alleys at MGM Park, he can't have his eye on the fence when he approaches the batter's box.

"I'm not up there thinking about hitting a home run," Roache said. "I'm just trying to put my barrel on the ball. I tell myself that before every at-bat - shorten up and just be quick to the ball and not long."

Roache arrived in the Brewers organization with plenty of expectations as a first-round selection in 2012 out of Georgia Southern. He was the 28th overall pick in an MLB Draft that featured young stars like Houston Astros shortstop Carlos Correa and Chicago Cubs shortstop Addison Russell.

He was promoted to Biloxi midway through the 2015 season and batted .247 with eight homers and 35 RBIs against Double-A pitching.

While the first-round selection brings plenty of pressure, Roache has tried not to look too far ahead at his ultimate goal - joining the big league parent Milwaukee Brewers.

"I try not to think about it too much," Roache said. "That's everybody's dream. For me, I need to focus on the now - the next pitch, the next at-bat. I can't think about what's going to happen in the future, what's happened in the past. I have to put myself in the best position to succeed."

The early going in 2016 has been up and down for Roache with the highlight being a combined 6-for-8 effort at the plate on back-to-back nights on April 19 and 20.

He ranks second behind Javier Betancourt (.340) in batting average for a Shuckers team that has an overall average of .231.

Roache, who went 1-for-3 Tuesday in a 9-3 loss at Mississippi, credits his work with Sandy Guerrero for the solid start to the season.

"It's just me and Sandy working every day," he said. "I'm working to put myself in the best position to put the bat on the ball. I feel comfortable up there and hopefully I can keep rolling."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Betancourt adjusts to new organization, position with Shuckers

PHOTO GALLERY via Tim Isbell at the link

While the newest members of the Biloxi Shuckers roster are all in an adjustment period to some degree, infielder Javier Betancourt is dealing with more changes than most.

As a rising prospect at second base, Betancourt was perfectly comfortable in the Detroit Tigers organization a year ago.

Fast forward six months later, Betancourt is no longer with the Tigers and he is dealing with a position change after the Milwaukee Brewers acquired him in a November trade that sent veteran closer Francisco Rodriguez to the Tigers.

"It was kind of sad," Betancourt said of his initial response to being traded. "It was really nice with the Tigers. They're my family, brothers."

While the unexpected change in employer was difficult early on for Betancourt, the always upbeat Venezuelan is enjoying life so far in the Brewers organization.

"They treat me like a new member of the family," Betancourt said. "It's been a great experience. I thought it was going to be hard with a new team, but everything is great. I feel happy to be here."

Betancourt, who will turn 21 on Sunday, has seen the majority of his playing time at shortstop this season as he continues to adjust to Double-A with the Shuckers.

Betancourt has had no issues against Double-A pitching with a .288 batting average and 10 RBIs, but he's still in the adjustment phase at shortstop with a fielding percentage of .878.

Orlando Arcia left big shoes to fill at shortstop in Biloxi after he was named the Brewers' minor league player of the year last season while leading the team to the Southern League Championship Series. He batted .307 with eight homers, 37 doubles and 69 RBIs while playing impressive defense. He is now batting .313 at Triple-A Colorado Springs.

When Betancourt found out that he would be joining Arcia in the Brewers organization, he reached out to his fellow Venezuelan.

"I told him, 'Hey, I'm on your team so you have to take care me.' He said, 'OK,'" Betancourt said.

Betancourt has always been at his most comfortable while playing second base so he worked closely with Arcia over the spring to pick up the finer points of the position.

"I played a lot of second base with the Tigers," Betancourt said. "I said, 'Hey, Orlando, you have to teach me. You're a great shortstop.' I was practicing with him in spring training. It's great to have him in in the same position, same workout. That was great and he taught me a lot.

"I'm still learning because I have to feel comfortable in that position now. I'm pretty good at second. I thought I'd be playing second here, but now I've changed."

Betancourt is still adjusting to life on the opposite side of the infield.

"I have to be more aggressive," he said. "You have to move your feet a lot. Those are the things I've been working on."

Betancourt started the season hot at the plate with his batting average peaking at .340 last week. He credited the quick adjustment to Double-A pitching to some chances to his approach at the plate.

"I got new things from my hitting coach so I've been working hard," he said. "My approach, my stance, my hands. I've been changing everything. I want to get better numbers this year.

"It works. I just have to keep it up."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Phillips shows power potential for Shuckers

It's been a bumpy season at the plate at times for Milwaukee Brewers top prospect Brett Phillips.

For one night, the Biloxi Shuckers center fielder made it all look oh so easy.

The left-handed swinging Phillips ripped a career-high three homers for six RBIs in Saturday's 9-3 win at Pensacola, marking the first time that the Seminole, Fla., native has hit multiple homers in a single game at any level. All three homers were to the middle part of the park, clearing the fence in left center in the first inning, right center in the second and right center in the ninth.

After relying a little too much on pulling the ball to right field early in the season, Phillips credited his success on Saturday to a more balanced approach at the plate.

"It's just a matter of using the whole field," Phillips said. "I got stuck pulling the ball up until now. I've been working with (hitting coach Sandy Guerrero). It's a matter of not limiting myself to one side of the field. I'm hitting to all sides of the field. I'm extending my game to be the best player I can be."

Shared experience

While Phillips had plenty to brag about after his big day at the plate, he wasn't even the only player in the Brewers organization to hit three homers Saturday. Brewers second baseman Aaron Hill hit three home runs, including a go-ahead grand slam in the 10th, in a 13-7 win over the Cincinnati Reds on Saturday.

"That night, I got a text from Aaron and it said, 'Good game,'" Phillips said. "And I was like, 'No, way to rain on my parade. Good game, too.' That was pretty cool for him to go out of his way. He hit three homers with seven RBIs and I hit three homers with six RBIs. He out shined me.

"He's had 10 years plus in the big leagues. To text a guy below him and congratulate him, that's pretty exciting."

Phillips is batting .248 with five homers and 22 RBIs in 105 at-bats this season.

While he has shown good pop at the plate, the strikeouts have also piled up. He has 37 this season to tie for the second most in the Southern League. His on base percentage is not that bad at .342, but Phillips knows he has to make improvement at getting on base more.

"I'm still continuing to hit my stride. I'm still not my best even though I hit three home runs in one game," Phillips said. "I'm striking out way too much, which I know I need to work on. I'm working on my overall game each and every day.

"If I get complacent, someone can pass me up at any moment. I'm working on everything and relaxing a lot more. I've been pressuring and trying to do too much. I'm getting in my groove."

Moving around

The night Phillips hit three homers he was batting in the two-hole, but he's been shuffled around the top three spots in the order all season. He has batted leadoff for much of his career, but has seen plenty of time in the third spot this season.

It's unclear where he might bat once he makes the jump to the big leagues, but he appears well suited to bat in a variety of spots.

"I had a conversation (Sunday) with (manager Mike Guerrero)," Phillips said. "He was like. 'You never know where you're going to be hitting in the order in the big leagues. You're probably going to be a one, two guy.' But he said he wants to me to experience all the positions in the batting order because you're going to see difference pitches. It's just a different feel. He's going to continue to move me around, one two and three, just for me to get that exposure at each part of the lineup."

[dt][/dt]

Noche, how much stuff does Wang need? He was throwing 95 regularly in the majors, and showed the makings of several very good offerings. The problems are with command, control, and execution

More recent reports have him working 91-93 as a starter. Jorge Lopez made the "stuff" jump as he used to be 90-92 and is now 93-95. Wang is a decent bet to see his stuff tick up slightly but probably not like that. Is this the year?

Wang is pitching tonight. If the Shuckers' gun on the scoreboard is correct, he sitting in the upper 80's with his fastball and mid 70's with his breaking pitch.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Man, what happened to Tyrone Taylor. He's hitting .197 - no power, poor walk rate, strike outs way up.

I heard he was working on his batting stance early on, but I'm not sure if that's true. Perhaps this is him experimenting. I guess I'd like to hear what people who have watched his games have to say.

Man, what happened to Tyrone Taylor. He's hitting .197 - no power, poor walk rate, strike outs way up.

I heard he was working on his batting stance early on, but I'm not sure if that's true. Perhaps this is him experimenting. I guess I'd like to hear what people who have watched his games have to say.

I saw him play a few games in Arizona and take BP and he looks like a player who's watched too many instructional videos. I remember watching Justin Upton take BP and thinking the same thing. Obviously their results have been markedly different, but I worry about players who have to work so hard to be baseball players. When you watch Trent Clark hit in games or take BP, he just looks like a guy who knows what he's doing. His hands, feet, hips are all consistent and there's just a natural rhythm. You watch Taylor and can see the gears turning. He's thinking about where his front foot is going to land (which is rarely consistent), where his hands are going to go and has a hard time staying on balance when covering pitches not over the plate.

You wish a coach would just tell him: "Taylor, see ball, hit ball. Don't worry about anything else." I'm sure seeing Brett Phillips take centerfield from him has added extra pressure, but he definitely has the tools to still break out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tillman dominating with focus on present

Mike Jones, gaflnews.com (North Florida)

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/suwanneedemocrat.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/7c/77c48f86-33ec-11e6-a963-772793be38bd/5762ea7cc5ca4.image.jpg?crop=333%2C604%2C194%2C35

JACKSONVILLE — It would be easy to get distracted by what-ifs when you are having the kind of season Daniel Tillman is putting together at Double-A Biloxi.

The former Suwannee pitcher is 3-0 with a 0.48 ERA almost halfway through the Shuckers’ 140-game schedule.

With those numbers, it’s only natural to think about possible scenarios—like moving up to Triple-A Colorado Springs or getting a call to play in the big leagues.

Those things are out of his control though, and Tillman remains focused on what he can control.

“You can drive yourself crazy trying to decide what management wants to do or what they think of you,” Tillman said. “I’ve done that a lot. That’s what’s caused failures I’ve had in my career.”

Instead of worrying about the future, Tillman is relishing the moment—enjoying the best results of his seven-year minor league career. He has pitched in Double A before, but he’s never pitched this well.

“I’m happy where I am,” Tillman said. “Obviously I’d like to be a big leaguer or in Triple A, but as far as moving up, I try not to think too much about it. I try to do my best every day that I’m here.”

Tillman credits the addition of a new pitch—a cutter that looks and acts like a slider—for some of his improvement this season. He said he is now throwing a fastball between 93-95 mph, a good cutter, and an average curveball. With those three pitches, the veteran reliever has allowed just one run all season.

His success has led to a new role out of the bullpen. Tillman started closing for Biloxi about a month ago. He has picked up five saves in five chances. He took on the new challenge right after coming back from an oblique injury. Tillman missed 31 games due to the injury, but returned with the same form he had before the setback.

Tillman is in the midst of a five-game series with the Jacksonville Suns. He didn’t pitch in the first game of the series on Wednesday, an 8-4 Shuckers’ loss, but will likely get a chance to throw in front of family and friends before Sunday’s series finale at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.

“This is as close as I have played to home since college, since the spring of 2010,” Tillman said. “I’ve got a ton of people coming. My grandparents are going to see me pitch for the first time in eight years. It’ll be cool.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Woodruff getting adjusted to Double-A

By Logan Lowery, Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal

BILOXI – On May 14, Brandon Woodruff stood on the mound in Dunedin, Florida, having struck out 10 batters through 6 1/3 innings.

It was one of a string of strong starts the former Wheeler and Mississippi State standout pitcher had enjoyed this season for the Brevard County Manatees, a Single-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Woodruff had only thrown 81 pitches and just recorded an out when he saw manager Joe Aryault spring out of the dugout in his direction.

However, this wouldn’t just a normal mound visit.

“He told me he wanted to take the ball from me one last time before I get moved up,” Woodruff said. “He let me know out there on the mound and it took me by surprise. Of course, he’d let everybody know in the dugout, so when I got in there everybody congratulated me.”

And just like that Woodruff was bound for Biloxi, where the Brewers had just established their Double-A franchise last year. It was a moment the 6-foot-4, 215-pound right-hander had been waiting on to move one step closer to the big leagues and also return to his native state.

“It was good news to hear I was coming to Biloxi because you know your family and friends and also all the State fans that come out,” Woodruff said. “I’ve had a lot of support from all the Bulldog fans that are down here on the coast, and that’s been great. My wife also gets to see me a lot more often.”

Woodruff and his girlfriend since the 10th grade, Jonie, tied the knot last November and reside in Booneville. She works as a nurse at Northeast Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo and travels to watch her husband pitch during her days off.

And pitch he has.

Woodruff has seen his numbers improve in each of his three years as a professional and is currently experiencing his best season to date. He was named a Mid-Season All-Star in the Florida State League going 4-1 with a 1.83 earned run average, 49 strikeouts and only 10 walks during his eight starts.

Since joining the Shuckers, the former 11th round pick is 2-4 during his seven starts with a 4.73 ERA, 29 strikeouts and 15 walks. His best outing came against the Mississippi Braves on May 31, logging seven innings and only giving up one run on two hits to earn his first Double-A victory.

“The guys here (in Double-A) have a better approach and a better strike zone awareness,” Woodruff said. “If they see a pitch coming out of your hand that’s not going to track or doesn’t look like a strike, they’re not going to budge. You’ve really got to control the strike zone and get them to swing the bat. Once you do that, you can make your pitches and be fine. But if you’re not around the plate, it’s going to be a tough night.”

Another aspect Woodruff has had to adapt to is batting again. Once a two-way player during his freshman year in college, the left-handed hitting Woodruff has to bat for himself against National League opponents. He is currently 2-for-7 with an RBI.

“Not many people know my background but it’s different getting in the box and hitting and running the bases,” Woodruff said. “I hadn’t picked up a bat since my freshman year at State but it’s been fun stepping back in the box.”

Woodruff has proudly watched four of his former teammates from the 2013 College World Series team at MSU reach the Major Leagues over the last two years. He hopes to soon join them in The Show and has been encouraged by his progression through the Brewers farm system and his talks with the organization.

“They’re happy and I’ve gotten some good feedback,” Woodruff said. “It’s just a matter of working hard every day and being consistent. I know what my abilities are and it’s just a matter of tightening everything up and progressing to the next level.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Everything about this feature is wonderful -- the insights, the photos, the video, enjoy.

What’s it like in the minors? We followed a Shuckers player for a day

The Shuckers’ Chris McFarland was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in 2011

Life in the minor leagues is usually anything but luxurious

McFarland keeps in touch with family using technology

by Patrick Ochs, Biloxi Sun-Herald

Archived