Brewer Fanatic

Your 2016 Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

We will begin to see some formal minor league roster announcements soon. The formal announcement will come directly from the Sky Sox, not the Brewers. All four minor league affiliates will likely send out their press releases within an hour or so of each other once the Brewers have given them the official go-ahead to do so.

Opening Night is Thursday 4/7!

Feel free to link to any formal notices you see here.

Often we learn via farmhand tweets, who has been assigned where, prior to the formal affiliate announcements. We'll link to any of those posts in this thread as they come out.

As you might know, we use the "Your 2016" threads to post and link to feature stories that are outside the scope of game activity covered in the Daily Link Report.

These threads have become among the most popular for viewing here, and we look forward to kicking them off formally.

Please don't speculate here at this time, this is an anxious time for many on the farm, and unfortunately we're also going to learn about several player releases in the next few days, in addition to those players excited about their assignments.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Manager Rick Sweet's awesome 'stache is back for 2016 --

http://koaa.images.worldnow.com/images/10263917_G.jpg

Sky Sox ready for 2016

By Matt Prichard, KOAA

The sounds of baseball have returned to eastern Colorado Springs. The Sky Sox are gearing up for the 2016 season with a brand new lineup and a renewed sense of hope for Manager Rick Sweet.

"We've got a very good group, the organization has done a great job going out and getting people who are very focused on the game and focused on their career," said Sweet.

Top Brewers' prospects Orlando Arcia and Jorge Lopez headline the roster along with seasoned veteran Eric Young Jr. Three players that all have big goals for themselves in 2016.

"Look for better pitches on the plate and I'm having better swings there so having a plan at the plate," said Arcia.

"Just keep grinding every day, every time I can learn something and be a big leaguer as soon as I can," said Lopez.

"Continue to build on my career that I've had so far and utilize my speed as best as possible," said Young Jr.

But dark clouds shroud the new season as rumors swirl about the team potentially moving to San Antonio. An issue players and coaches say is well above their pay-grade.

"I know that's a big deal here, but to the players, they don't even know what's going on," said Sweet.

"What management wants to do that's their decision, but we're out there to try and win games for whoever we're playing in front of," said opening day starter, Zach Davies.

So they'll focus on baseball and give all they've got for the Sky Sox faithful.

"They're great. They appreciate those that give everything they got, they always made it easy for me to go out there and play the game that I love," said Young Jr.

"Very loyal fans, see the same people out here all the time and they're fun! They have a good time at the ballpark, they do a very nice job," said Sweet.

The Sky Sox open on Thursday against Memphis on the road and will open at home next Friday hosting Memphis.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via Haudricourt:

Outfielder Alex Presley, the last position player cut at the end of spring training, reported to Class AAA Colorado Springs after being unable to find a big-league job elsewhere. Presley had 48 hours to seek an offer before accepting the Class AAA assignment.

Presley had already been listed on the Colorado Springs initial roster, so it's still at 28, requiring three taxi squad moves today.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers' top prospect Orlando Arcia is a rare talent opening the season with Colorado Springs

By Brent Briggeman, Colorado Springs Gazette

Asked what strengths highlight Orlando Arcia's game, Sky Sox manager Rick Sweet gave a quick answer.

"Everything," Sweet said.

The manager raved about the shortstop's defensive range and consistency, his arm, his enthusiasm, his drive, emotion . pretty much, well, everything.

Baseball America rates Arcia as the top prospect in the Brewers' organization and says he "could be the first homegrown impact player developed by the Brewers since Ryan Braun."

Some prospect lists rank Arcia as high as No. 3, all have him in the top 15.

"I don't feel any pressure right now," Arcia said through an interpreter. "I just want to go out there and play."

Last year at Double-A Biloxi Arcia hit .307 with 37 doubles, seven triples, eight home runs and 25 stolen bases in 129 games.

Sweet said there would be two keys to Arcia's season. First, maintaining that offensive level as he moves up to facing more polished pitchers in Triple-A. Second, controlling his emotions as he likely has to deal with at least some failure for the first time in his career.

"I don't worry about that at all," Sweet said. "I'd much rather have that than someone you have to kick in the butt to motivate them."

In the past decade, only third baseman Nolan Arenado and pitchers Drew Pomeranz and Franklin Morales appeared with the Sky Sox in the same year they were the organization's top prospect. Sometimes a prospect simply skips Triple-A. More often, a prospect's hype declines after a few years of pro ball, and by the time they reach the top level of the minors they aren't as touted.

Arcia has gained steam as he's risen, and might not be here long.

Milwaukee has Jonathan Villar - career batting average .237 - at shortstop, so there's a strong chance that spot is being kept for Arcia to take after a few weeks. By delaying his call-up until later this month, Milwaukee would be able to delay his ability to become a free agent for a year. That's what happened with Arenado and recent can't-miss prospects like the Cubs' Kris Bryant and the Astros' Carlos Correa.

Then again, with the Brewers probably nowhere near contention, Arcia might be afforded a bit more time in Colorado Springs to work on polishing his game.

The Sky Sox also feature a pitcher in Jorge Lopez. He was the Double-A Southern League Pitcher of the Year in 2015 and is the Brewers' No. 2 prospect.

The team's veterans are also of a different sort this year. Triple-A is often stocked with low-ceiling veterans providing organizational depth. But because of Milwaukee's struggles, still-young veterans like Will Middlebrooks and Eric Young Jr. signed with hopes of rejuvenating their careers.

The Sky Sox open the season Thursday in Memphis. The home opener is April 15.

• 3 weeks later...
does anyone know where I can find team pitching splits for home/away for the Sky Sox? I cannot believe these pitchers are really that bad this year! its a joke for jungmann to be sent down to work on his pitching in this park. I wonder if there's some stat that could quantify or interviews with pitchers who've pitched here or for the Rockies as to whether their mechanics were screwed up having to mitigate the atmospheric differences and affect on their pitches between home/away games.

does anyone know where I can find team pitching splits for home/away for the Sky Sox? I cannot believe these pitchers are really that bad this year! its a joke for jungmann to be sent down to work on his pitching in this park. I wonder if there's some stat that could quantify or interviews with pitchers who've pitched here or for the Rockies as to whether their mechanics were screwed up having to mitigate the atmospheric differences and affect on their pitches between home/away games.

It's been shocking, but how much of it is a fluke? I checked the BABIPs, and Jorge Lopez's is .468. Brent Suter's is .427. By comparison, last year, Lopez's was .277, and Suter's was .297.

Kodi Meideros is also dealing with a spike in BABIP. Last year, it was .311. This year? It's .417.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jungmann going to AAA is to also work on mechanics and pitch placement. It probably will be difficult to get too much of a CB going, but each of those things can be evaluated by Brewer's personnel even if he does get hit around a bit at AAA. You and I can really only look at ERA, WHIP, etc... but the coaches can look at much more than that to make sure he is back on track.

Jungmann going to AAA is to also work on mechanics and pitch placement. It probably will be difficult to get too much of a CB going, but each of those things can be evaluated by Brewer's personnel even if he does get hit around a bit at AAA. You and I can really only look at ERA, WHIP, etc... but the coaches can look at much more than that to make sure he is back on track.

Didn't know that.

The BABIP figures indicate that their April struggles are more an aberration than anything. Normally, Suter's BABIP has been in the .298-.311 range. Lopez's have been in the .277-.330 range. I expect both to rebound and post numbers more in line with career norms as the season goes on.

It could also mean they're just getting hit harder this year.

This is much more likely than the bad luck card.

I haven't watched Lopez pitch in 3 years now, but I watched Medeiros pitch as much as possible in 2015 and he worked up in the zone, his stuff was just that much better than the hitters he was facing so he was able to get ground balls on his movement. As I said I wasn't sure how his stuff would play against better hitters (contact wise), who are more patient and will force a pitcher to throw strikes.

I've literally watched 100s of pitchers in A ball, and Kodi is far and away the outlier, he was able to get ground balls in locations that most pitchers give up XBHs because of his movement. Most everything was up, even his slider, it would typically end up inside and right underneath the hands of a RH hitter, but teams that laid off that pitch and were patient gave him all kinds of problems last year. His 2015 ERA by team varied drastically as I pointed out on numerous occasions, the best teams in the league gave him fits. With every level a player moves up the bottom players from the level before fall away, Kodi's going to have to learn how to work down and hit different locations with his pitches. Last year he had success when he started pitching backwards, leading with a change for a first pitch strike then coming back with a FB or slider.

His FB location was inconsistent, 80% were thighs or higher. He wasn't consistent to either side of the plate, though he did make some vertical improvements as the season progressed.

His change was typically thigh high middle away to RHB.

His slider was typically off the inside corner under the hands to RHB as I mentioned previously.

There needs to be a balance between statistical and physical observation, I feel good about players where I can confirm one against the other. Even TH's BA top 10 blurb talked about Kodi keeping the ball down based on his ground ball %, when that really wasn't case if you watched. There's a reason very few prospect gurus are putting Kodi in that #2 category despite what people around here may think because of his draft position. He's atypical enough that he's hard for me personally project, and I can see why he gets the #3 or reliever label thrown at him. He has such awesome movement he can be easy to dream on but the flip side is that he's not dominant in stature, velocity, or location. He's just a good kid with a bunch of athleticism who's naturally been better than everyone he's played against, hopefully he can make the necessary adjustments and start ascending again as the competition continues to improve.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

very informative all- yes, I still have in mind that one pitch of Kodi's in some amateur all-star tourney where the ball breaks and the announcers freak out. so, call me one of the dreamers. here's hoping all these guys can get it straightened out, whether its bad luck, or mechanics or execution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Eric Young Jr. nearing Colorado Springs Sky Sox all-time steals record

Joe Paisley, Colorado Springs Gazette

Eric Young Jr. is on pace to surpass longtime family friend Trenidad Hubbard for all-time steals in a Sky Sox uniform this season. In the meantime, the veteran will do his part to help Colorado Springs' postseason bid.

The outfielder enters this weekend's homestand versus New Orleans with 97 all-time steals (85 with the Rockies organization), trailing Hubbard's 104 steals during his career in second-place Colorado Springs (38-38), which is 7-3 in its past 10 games.

"It's special to be closing in any record; except strikeouts, and it means a lot," he said. "Knowing Trenidad makes it even more special."

Hubbard, the Rockies base-running instructor when EY Jr., now 31, was a young Colorado prospect, helped his former teammate's son develop into the savvy baserunner he is now.

"He always told me to be aggressive on the bases and be confident in my abilities," said Young Jr., the son of former major leaguer Eric Young Sr.

Young has 144 stolen bases in his six-year Major League Baseball career, including leading the National League in 2013 with 46 steals for the Mets.

But during his first stint with the Sky Sox, Young Jr. was anxious to make his mark at Security Service Field and was, he admits now, a bit reckless on the base paths as he tried to garner that final promotion to Coors Field. His foot speed helped him make up for most miscues.

"I am a smarter base runner now," Young said. "I pay more attention to the game situation more now and decide to steal if it helps the team or not. Sometimes it is better to stay at first and keep a gap (into right field) for the hitter."

Helping his team win is far more important that any individual record, he added.

"He is a very good baseball player who plays the game the right way," Sky Sox manager Rick Sweet said.

Young signed with the Milwaukee organization this past offseason, trying to work his way back into the bigs. That remains his goal, of course, but he has embraced the leadership role expected of veterans in Sweet's clubhouse.

Young contributes by example with his work ethic and quiet leadership.

"He doesn't talk much but people listens when he does," Sweet said. "He plays every play as hard as he can."

"When you reach this point, you have to play every one like it is your last because it could be," Young said. "I want teammates who battle on every play and I try to show the younger players how that's done."

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Colorado Springs pitcher Damien Magnifico prepares for Triple-A All-Star Game, eventual majors shot

By Eden Laase, Colorado Springs Gazette

http://cdn.csgazette.biz/cache/r960-3eb20de0b50ec68e53b5b4dd5f7c7997.jpg

Photo by the Gazette's Ryan Jones

Magnifico (mag-nif-i-co) definition: 1. A Spanish or Italian word meaning magnificent, wonderful, glorious, superb.

2. An eminent, powerful or illustrious person.

3. The last name of Sky Sox closer, Damien Magnifico, whose moniker is of Italian origins.

Magnifico is a player who has been nearly magnificent at the Triple-A level, with 12 saves in 14 attempts, and a spot in the Triple-A All-Star Game, taking place Wednesday. His ERA has been on the rise in recent outings, but according to Sky Sox pitching coach Fred Dabney, Magnifico still has big-league stuff.

It's safe to say, the guy can pitch.

He can also give a pretty sweet haircut. Magnifico deals heaters to opponents, and fresh cuts to his teammates. The pitcher served as his team's barber from Junior College baseball at Howard College all the way through high-A minor league baseball. Now, he has passed off the hair-cutting duties, but maintains that he still has the skills.

"I can do pretty much whatever cut they ask," Magnifico said. "If they show me a picture, I can usually figure it out."

Cutting hair is easy, no matter the level. But Magnifico knows he will have his work cut out for him pitching in the majors.

Being superb at the minor-league level, and the major-league level are two different animals. For now, the Texas native isn't looking for anything more than staying power. He knows that lots of players make the jump from Triple-A to the majors, but few stick around. When the 25-year-old gets the call-up, he wants it to be for good.

"A lot of guys go up and down," he said. "I just want to make it and stay there."

Magnifico was named to the Brewers' 40-man roster in November, and Dabney said he has the ability to make it as a big league pitcher.

"We see him as a late-inning guy at the next level, anywhere from the sixth inning on kind of gig. The possibility of being a closer is in his future," Dabney said. "He has a plus fastball and a really good sink with that. He has a plus-type slider that he is continuing to get better with the command. When you have two plus pitches you can be a late-inning guy at the next level."

Along with his pitching ability, Magnifico has the ideal demeanor of a closer. The softspoken righty takes a no-nonsense approach to pitching, something that has been with him since his days at Oklahoma.

The first time Magnifico hit the elusive triple-digits on a radar gun, he was pitching in a fall game for the Sooners. He came into the dugout after his first inning, and teammates excitedly let him know he had hit 100. His response: "Was it a strike?" His teammates were so caught up with the speed that they couldn't remember.

"They didn't know," he said, a slight smile appearing on his otherwise serious face. "And I was like 'well I have another inning to pitch so we will talk about this later.'"

Magnifico will admit back then he was a bit too serious. Now he is better at rolling with the punches.

"I don't take things as seriously anymore, results-wise, because I know everything is a process, so you have to just build off of each outing," he said.

His next outing will be in the Triple-A All-Star Game, hosted in Charlotte, N.C., where Magnifico will be accompanied by Sky Sox teammates Orlando Arcia and Manny Pina.

The game is just another stop on Magnifico's long list of baseball goals, which he hopes leads to the big leagues.

"You set many goals throughout the season and that is always one of them for the midpoint to know that you have done pretty well over the first half," he said. "My main goal is to make it to the big leagues, but sometimes you have to just keep on trying to figure it out down here."

• 1 month later...

Burgos, Brinson Earn Final Monthly Honors

Sky Sox outfielder, righty handed starter earn monthly honors for August/September

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/1/2/6/199852126/cuts/Aug_Sep_POTM_43rpkg4w_dptuumrv.jpg

Arcia, Burgos Earn Sky Sox Yearly Honors

Sky Sox shortstop, righty handed starter earn Player of the Year honors for 2016

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/4/3/2/186232432/cuts/06_15_3551_pk_8m2p56c3_ti1r5hr2.jpg

Orlando Arcia and Hiram Burgos were two of the Sky Sox biggest contributors in 2016. (Paat Kelly photo)

• 4 months later...

AUDIO with LHP Stephen Peterson via podcaster Cam Fox, a 2011 University of Rhode Island teammate: It's a 57-minute ride here, and it's understandable not everyone will make time for the entire broadcast. I tend to load things on my phone for the work commute if that helps you.

But what a perspective learned along the way with a mid-college career Division I transfer (thus being forced to sit out a season), immediately followed by Tommy John surgery (so two lost seasons), and then going undrafted despite a strong senior season, to getting the call from the Brewers (at the 32:30 minute mark), eventually spending three full seasons at Brevard County, and now entering his 7th pro season with some AAA action now under his belt.

I'm biased for the Massachusetts roots, but yeah, go "Petey"!

Archived