Brewer Fanatic

Using a VPN

QuevedosTongue

I'm interested in getting one for various reasons, but I don't know a lot about them, so I have questions.

1. Do they impact browsing/streaming speeds?

2. Does it work to circumvent blackouts?

3. Are you less susceptible to virus attacks, or does that have more to do with security software?

4. Does anyone out there play Strat-O-Matic via netplay with a VPN? I ask because there have been some security software programs that have interfered in the past for me.

5. Benefits are anonymous browsing, more secure when using open wi-fi, and..........?

Again, I'm new but I'm interested. Primarily to get around the blackout rules, but if I can make things more secure, particularly with my phone (I use unsecured wi-fi a lot) it would be a nice bonus. Any help is appreciated.

When answering, keep in mind that I am not completely ignorant of technology, but I wouldn't say I'm much more knowledgeable than the average person either.

I'm interested in getting one for various reasons, but I don't know a lot about them, so I have questions.

1. Do they impact browsing/streaming speeds?

Unless you're twitch gaming, you won't really notice the difference unless you connect to a horrible server. They will increase your latency slightly, but you won't notice it doing normal browsing/streaming.

2. Does it work to circumvent blackouts?

Depending on the VPN service. Yes. Right now, I'm somewhere in Germany..... now I'm back in Milwaukee.

3. Are you less susceptible to virus attacks, or does that have more to do with security software?

You're still susceptible. Your computer is still connected to the internet, and if you're browsing sketchy sites or downloading and installing things your vpn won't protect you from that.

4. Does anyone out there play Strat-O-Matic via netplay with a VPN? I ask because there have been some security software programs that have interfered in the past for me.

Can't help you there, but a VPN is not security software. It is masking/encryption software.

5. Benefits are anonymous browsing, more secure when using open wi-fi, and..........?

You've hit it right on the head. That's pretty much the two huge benefits. http://lifehacker.com/5940565/why-you-should-start-using-a-vpn-and-how-to-choose-the-best-one-for-your-needs

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ but that lifehacker link above has more details.

You like them I would imagine? Ever had any problems.

Never had any issues, and it's worked just fine for me both on my tablet and my desktop.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

If you're mainly looking to defeat MLB.TV's blackout rules, I - I mean, my friend, used unlocator in the past with great results. That was 2014 - didn't need it last year. It was $5/month. You do it at a router level so anything connected to your internet goes through it. It was great when "he" had XBMC/Kodi in the living room, but also wanted to use his tablet or phone.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Archived