Brewer Fanatic

Will Smith torn LCL

MKE81
I have never torn a ligament so I'm genuinely curious here, but if you tear one taking off your shoe, don't you immediately know it? Isn't it painful? Wouldn't you have called the team doctor over right away? This was billed as a fluid build up in the knee and after a few days of soreness, and then he saw the doc on Friday or whatever. The conspiracy theorist part of me thinks on their last off day, slick Willie was playing some golf or basketball or something, did something to his knee and didn't tell the team immediately in the hopes he just tweaked it and it would go away.

I'd have to ask my Physical Therapist wife but based off of some of the things she talks about when it comes to the knee it really depends on which ligament you tear. I asked her about the LCL and she didn't think it was a big deal, especially without surgery. She said he's looking at about 8 weeks.

As for the not telling anybody about it, I totally feel there is more to this story but on the other hand you have to think that pro athletes bodies are sore all the time so they don't think much of it as long as that body part still works and moves. Especially is spring training when you're playing everyday after not doing so for the last 4 months.

I'm 35 and in decent shape. I can play 36 holes with no pain, but sometimes I'll randomly wake up with a sore neck/shoulder that takes 10 days to recover. Therefore I don't doubt most of the injuries

It's weird how pro athletes can incur serious injuries doing seemingly innocuous things. I'm sure weird stuff like this happens to normal people every day, but the proportional percentage of "really weird injuries" that seem to strike the Brewers players seems (at least to me) extraordinarily high and coincidental.

I injured my knee standing up from a picnic table when I was in my early/mid 20s. Being taller than average they aren't that easy to get out from under. Twisted my knee just right, felt a sharp pinch...

Also don't forget (IIRC) Molitor breaking a finger horsing around while jogging around the track for warmups, getting kicked by another teammate's foot.

I don't recall Orosco, but no discussion of strange injuries is complete without mentioning Matt Wise and the salad tongs. There was also Gennett and the shower caddy last year.

I had to track this down. Thanks to Google I was able to make some sense of the very foggy Orosco memory. The TP dispenser injury I referred to happened to Dave Goltz in 1982. The Orosco connection is strictly of toilet troubles, from back in the 80s when Roger McDowell pranked him by opening up the door to the bullpen bathroom while Jesse took care of business. (after first getting the attention of the fans in the bleachers, no less) Funny how after 30 or so years, memories of events can get mixed up.

I have never torn a ligament so I'm genuinely curious here, but if you tear one taking off your shoe, don't you immediately know it? Isn't it painful? Wouldn't you have called the team doctor over right away? This was billed as a fluid build up in the knee and after a few days of soreness, and then he saw the doc on Friday or whatever. The conspiracy theorist part of me thinks on their last off day, slick Willie was playing some golf or basketball or something, did something to his knee and didn't tell the team immediately in the hopes he just tweaked it and it would go away.

I'd have to ask my Physical Therapist wife but based off of some of the things she talks about when it comes to the knee it really depends on which ligament you tear. I asked her about the LCL and she didn't think it was a big deal, especially without surgery. She said he's looking at about 8 weeks.

As for the not telling anybody about it, I totally feel there is more to this story but on the other hand you have to think that pro athletes bodies are sore all the time so they don't think much of it as long as that body part still works and moves. Especially is spring training when you're playing everyday after not doing so for the last 4 months.

I would be genuinely interested to hear her general opinions on any injury the Brewers have -- recovery time, severity, lasting impact, etc. There was a blog I used to read, done by a physical therapist, where he'd chime in on different injuries around MLB & clarify things like typical recovery time & offering definitions of medical terminology so the lay-person can fully understand. I loved that blog & can't remember its name for the life of me, but I do recall that he shut the blog down after a couple years or so. I love getting a physician's or professional's p.o.v. on injuries & not just going off of beat writers & clubs' messaging.

EDIT: I found the old blog! The Disabled List. Man that was a great read.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would be genuinely interested to hear her general opinions on any injury the Brewers have -- recovery time, severity, lasting impact, etc. There was a blog I used to read, done by a physical therapist, where he'd chime in on different injuries around MLB & clarify things like typical recovery time & offering definitions of medical terminology so the lay-person can fully understand. I loved that blog & can't remember its name for the life of me, but I do recall that he shut the blog down after a couple years or so. I love getting a physician's or professional's p.o.v. on injuries & not just going off of beat writers & clubs' messaging.

She usually provides some interesting insight anytime a Brewer gets hurt because I ask her about it. She pretty much confirmed that Wil is taking the best course of action right now. Whether he opted for surgery right away or waited to try rehab and then surgery he was going to miss all of or almost all of 2016.

She usually provides some interesting insight anytime a Brewer gets hurt because I ask her about it. She pretty much confirmed that Wil is taking the best course of action right now. Whether he opted for surgery right away or waited to try rehab and then surgery he was going to miss all of or almost all of 2016.

Well any time you feel like sharing her insights... there's at least one interested reader here :)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm willing to bet this had more to do with alcohol than it did "removing his shoes"

I'd be willing to bet almost all "weird" pro sports injuries involve alcohol. Remember Jeff Kent? These guys have contractual stipulations that cost them money if the truth comes out.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived