Brewer Fanatic

Will Smith torn LCL

MKE81
Supposedly he was attempting to remove his shoe in the locker room and tried yanking it off, while standing, and lost his balance twisting his knee in the process resulting in a torn LCL. Apparently they don't have chairs to sit on to aid in easily removing your shoes. It isn't known yet if surgery is the best route. Simply amazing

I might just be too pessimistic, but this team suffers a LOT of serious injuries that are explained as a result of trying to accomplish a chore that a trained monkey could do safely. Taking shoes off, picking up a suitcase, reaching for shampoo, sneezing, sleeping on a pillow, using salad tongs. Either our players are the clumsiest people on the planet, or some of these injuries didn't happen they way we were led to believe.

Maybe we should assign a person to take Lucroys shoes off for him. Just to be safe.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Anyone have any examples of how long similar injuries have kept players out in the past? The good news is that we have him under control for many more years so it's not the end of the world if he ends up missing a large chunk of the season or something.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

A shining example of how waiting for the perfect trade for Lucroy could come to bite us in the behind.

And Lind was a shining example of why you don't trade someone for less than you believe they are worth because of injury fears. I seriously doubt we could have got as much at the trade deadline last year for him than we got by waiting. I'm no doctor but I don't believe LCL's are as bad as ACL's or PCL's. I know all cl's are not created equal.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

LCL injuries rarely require surgery unless there are other issues surrounding it. If surgery isn't required he's probably out at least couple months I'd guess.

Regarding Lind, not every trade of a MLB player has to fill a need at that level or upper minors. He's a good trade chip to use for what Stearns did - adding 3 young arms that pound the zone to develop them. You're not getting several 18/19yr old projectable arms for someone like Scooter and given Lind's age, salary, recent injury bites, etc you're not getting the Nottingham/Diaz types of the world. That's why KRod only returned 1 halfway decent prospect in A+ ball - his age, salary. Segura sucked but is 25 and Davis, Parra, Gomez, Fiers return established impact prospects and so will Lucroy, Smith, Jeffress and such

Don't forget Doug Melvin getting stung by a scorpion trying to pick it up with a tissue.

And K-Rod stepping on a cactus while running into the backyard to chase his kids. Also, didn't Corey Hart injure his knee when he ran on the sidewalk so he could hear Braun's "victory-lap" press conference? Freak injuries abound in spring training.

Gruber Lawffices

A shining example of how waiting for the perfect trade for Lucroy could come to bite us in the behind.

Exactly. Don't mess around with a Luc deal. Unless we have all misread his value surely there are multiple good offers for him. Get serious about adding a sweetener and move on.

Smith can come back from this just fine but I would assume he could have been a heck of a trade chip prior to this.

I might just be too pessimistic, but this team suffers a LOT of serious injuries that are explained as a result of trying to accomplish a chore that a trained monkey could do safely. Taking shoes off, picking up a suitcase, reaching for shampoo, sneezing, sleeping on a pillow, using salad tongs. Either our players are the clumsiest people on the planet, or some of these injuries didn't happen they way we were led to believe.

Let's not forget phone books.

Also, I seem to vaguely recall an injury to I believe Jesse Orosco when he cut his pitching hand reaching up into the TP dispenser to bring down and dispense a new roll. Anybody else have any memory of this story?

I don't recall Orosco, but no discussion of strange injuries is complete without mentioning Matt Wise and the salad tongs. There was also Gennett and the shower caddy last year.

I have never torn a ligament so I'm genuinely curious here, but if you tear one taking off your shoe, don't you immediately know it? Isn't it painful? Wouldn't you have called the team doctor over right away? This was billed as a fluid build up in the knee and after a few days of soreness, and then he saw the doc on Friday or whatever. The conspiracy theorist part of me thinks on their last off day, slick Willie was playing some golf or basketball or something, did something to his knee and didn't tell the team immediately in the hopes he just tweaked it and it would go away.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's weird how pro athletes can incur serious injuries doing seemingly innocuous things. I'm sure weird stuff like this happens to normal people every day, but the proportional percentage of "really weird injuries" that seem to strike the Brewers players seems (at least to me) extraordinarily high and coincidental.

Of course pro athletes with clauses in their contracts have reason to lie about what they may or may not have been doing during their off-time, so there's always that to consider.

Archived