Brewer Fanatic

J.P. Breen: Brewers are "a team of intrigue and transition"

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see any way Braun and Lucroy's trade value could get any higher than it is right now. Failing to trade them now could seriously harm the future of this franchise. Hill is almost sure to go, and Carter is probably at a high trade value as well.

There may be some fans that get upset, and undoubtedly some "talking heads" will rant a bit, but the Brewer brass can't fall off the wagon this quickly in regard to the rebuild. The return we get from the upcoming trades is going to be what could allow us to build teams that could compete for division titles and World Series appearances in the coming years instead of perpetually being a few games back in the hunt for the second Wild Card spot.

Agree 100%. This is what we wanted. Braun and Lucroy max their trade value by showing they can produce and they're healthy (ok in Braun's case it's relative.) Guys like Carter and Hill are productive and can be flipped.

We wanted all this so we could potentially get another Phillips/Hader/Santana/Houser type deal or two. This is no time to "chicken out" and pretend they can contend for anything tis year. Good news is, I'm confident Mark A. knows this, even if Stearns has to remind him every day.

As for the talking heads, 90% of them see the Brewers as something to talk about in between Packers' seasons. They know less about Brewers' farm, concept of 6 year control, how a true rebuild work, etc. than the average poster here. And it's their job to know. They all love talking about the Packers though, even though they really don't understand that much better.

I agree with Melvin's past philosophy: Pitchers are more valuable at the deadline, position players during the offseason. There aren't many contending teams who need a LF'er and C right now. If Lucroy and Braun are traded mid season, the team's record will suffer. Anyone else traded it won't make much of a difference. Braun in particular could bring a huge package of talent in the offseason.

I'm on board with the rebuild, but letting the present roster play out the season isn't a bad thing. It doesn't stop the process and will certainly help with fan interest. Trading players who are controllable for several more seasons, even if they are merely placeholders, doesn't seem like the best strategy. Let Carter, Villar, Gennett stay on the team so you're not forced to bring up players and start their clock before they are ready. Plus, there is no reason to think Villar can't be part of the next great Brewer team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I agree with Melvin's past philosophy: Pitchers are more valuable at the deadline, position players during the offseason. There aren't many contending teams who need a LF'er and C right now. If Lucroy and Braun are traded mid season, the team's record will suffer. Anyone else traded it won't make much of a difference. Braun in particular could bring a huge package of talent in the offseason.

As a general rule, the first sentence works, but there are always exceptions. If a good deal comes around, mid-season, off-season, whenever, you make it.

I saw one writer comment about Lucroy - you rarely have the best (or close to the best) player at a specific position in the league available to trade. Teams make exceptions for elite players.

I don't see any way Braun and Lucroy's trade value could get any higher than it is right now. Failing to trade them now could seriously harm the future of this franchise.

You can't force something that maybe isn't there (yet). First you have to find a playoff contender that needs a catcher. Then you need that team to value Lucroy in line with what the Brewers want. Then the teams still have to agree that the value of the individual prospects that are being moved equates to that value. The Dodgers may say this prospect is a top 25 prospect and the Brewers are thinking he is more like a top 75 type guy and they need more.

• 1 month later...
Anyone still positive this is a 100 loss team? Considering the low expectations, they've played some nice ball so far! Here's some fun with the numbers so far:

- Currently 28-31 (.475)

- To end up with 100 losses, they'd have to play like a 53-109 (.330) team the rest of the way

- To end up with a .500 record they'd have to play like a 83-79 (.515) team the rest of the way

- To be on pace to lose 100 games, they would have to lose their next 14 games in a row

Currently Atlanta, Minnesota and Cincinnati are the only teams on pace for 100 losses. And Cincinnati is only a 2 game winning streak from getting out of that club.

Updated after a tough stretch leading to the all-star break:

- Since the previous post: 10-18 (.357)

- Currently 38-49 (.437)

- To end up with 100 losses, they'd have to play like a 52-110 (.320) team the rest of the way

- To end up with a .500 record they'd have to play like a 93-69 (.573) team the rest of the way

- To be on pace to lose 100 games, they would have to lose their next 13 games in a row

Atlanta, Minnesota and Cincinnati are still the only teams on pace for 100 losses.

20 of our next 29 games are against teams with records worse than ours (6 vs Reds, 7 vs Dbacks, 3 vs Padres, 4 vs Braves). They are going to have to be impressively bad to hit 100 losses. That said, we have slipped to being closer to 100 losses than to .500 at this point.

I'll let you decide if this is good or bad news depending on your desire for them to tank to a better draft pick ;)

Archived