Brewer Fanatic

J.P. Breen: Brewers are "a team of intrigue and transition"

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Not sure where this fits best, but it's the write-up of the Brewers by Baseball Prospectus. Basically a review of the changes, why they were made, and the impact. Definitely worth a look.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=28718

It will be interesting to revisit that list of players acquired in roughly three years time.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And among rebuilding teams, that is much preferable to a team that refuses to add talent to the major-league squad in the interest of tanking for draft picks.

I guess at least one person isn't buying into the Brewers tanking for draft pick mantra.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

And among rebuilding teams, that is much preferable to a team that refuses to add talent to the major-league squad in the interest of tanking for draft picks.

I guess at least one person isn't buying into the Brewers tanking for draft pick mantra.

That line jumped out at me too.

I don't think I'm putting on too big of "Brewer goggles" when I say that while this year's team isn't making the playoffs, they are going to be better than most teams are in the first year of a rebuild, especially if we get half a season of Lucroy. We have a solid, probably around MLB average, rotation to go along with what could be a close-to-average MLB offense.

There are holes, and we won't be near the top of the NL Central standings, but we could be a low-to-mid 70's win team with a lot of talent coming up through the system. Considering that for most of my life the Brewers have been a low-to-mid 70's win team with little-to-no talent coming up through the system, I'm pretty excited. We are better off than I would have hoped when looking at things over the past few seasons. Thank God Gomez "found it" after being extended, and that we stunk so bad to start last season that Attanasio finally realized a rebuild was in order while he still had tradeable assets.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

That line jumped out at me too.

I don't think I'm putting on too big of "Brewer goggles" when I say that while this year's team isn't making the playoffs, they are going to be better than most teams are in the first year of a rebuild, especially if we get half a season of Lucroy. We have a solid, probably around MLB average, rotation to go along with what could be a close-to-average MLB offense.

There are holes, and we won't be near the top of the NL Central standings, but we could be a low-to-mid 70's win team with a lot of talent coming up through the system. Considering that for most of my life the Brewers have been a low-to-mid 70's win team with little-to-no talent coming up through the system, I'm pretty excited. We are better off than I would have hoped when looking at things over the past few seasons. Thank God Gomez "found it" after being extended, and that we stunk so bad to start last season that Attanasio finally realized a rebuild was in order while he still had tradeable assets.

nope, you're thinking exactly the same as me. this team is probably going to surprise some folks, particularly the haters / bearish ones.

Yes, they could be a team that surprises some folks. I don't think they'll finish with a winning record, but they will go on some streaks and be the kind of team that plays spoiler (and I know that's not exactly something to get that excited about). I think they will be fun to watch. Definitely excited for Opening Day this year.

Nice article from Jim Breen...glad to see he's still writing about the Brewers.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I wonder what people think is more likely, 82 wins or 100 losses. Not saying either are all that likely but I'd put my money on 82 wins.

I would too. This team reminds me somewhat of the 2005 team, but maybe slightly less talented. Some decent pieces in place, but a big question mark of a rotation and probably not enough reliably consistent bats in the lineup. I figure they're about a 75-78 win team right now. They won't lose 100 games.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I wonder what people think is more likely, 82 wins or 100 losses. Not saying either are all that likely but I'd put my money on 82 wins.

I think they are closer to 82 wins than 100 losses but I wouldn't put money on either.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If all the current players are with the team all year and I HAD to bet on 82 wins or 100 losses, I would put my money on 82 wins. However, if they trade Lucroy, Peralta, Smith, Jeffress, Scooter, Carter, etc. than I would bet on 100 losses. That would be a completely different team the last two months of the season.

If all the current players are with the team all year and I HAD to bet on 82 wins or 100 losses, I would put my money on 82 wins. However, if they trade Lucroy, Peralta, Smith, Jeffress, Scooter, Carter, etc. than I would bet on 100 losses. That would be a completely different team the last two months of the season.

Same. It's possible most of their best players will be gone. They might be playing .450-.470 ball at the deadline, but could be playing .340-.360 ball after.

Gun to my head, I'd say 82 or more, but it's really close for me.

Yes, they could be a team that surprises some folks. I don't think they'll finish with a winning record, but they will go on some streaks and be the kind of team that plays spoiler (and I know that's not exactly something to get that excited about). I think they will be fun to watch. Definitely excited for Opening Day this year.

If somehow they spoil the Cardinals season, it'll make this whole season worth while. If I can't dream about playoffs, I'll dream about that.

Well there is the rub and why they are more likely to lose 100 than get anywhere near 500. If any of these veterans perform well they are likely gone and if they play poorly that leads to losing.

Well there is the rub and why they are more likely to lose 100 than get anywhere near 500. If any of these veterans perform well they are likely gone and if they play poorly that leads to losing.

Even then I think they would be closer to 82 wins than 100 loses. First the team would be doing pretty well if all those players bought enough back to trade so our record wouldn't be bad enough to get to 100. The second reason is the only player who doesn't have someone fairly competent to replace them is Lucroy. They are closer to a 500 club now than a 100 loss club and the loss of one significant player that doesn't have a viable replacement for half a season isn't going to make that much difference.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I will take the 100 losses easily over 82 wins. This team just isn't going to put together win streaks. The rotation, while not bad, it is not very good. Unless guys step forward it won't be doing any favors. I also see the bullpen taking a step backwards too. K-Rod was good...really good. I don't care what you think Smith/Jeffress won't be better than him as a closer. Not only that but that is one less dominant reliever we have for next year. That is going to be a bigger deal than people think. The offense is going to be a work in progress all year and overall most likely worse.

Now I don't think this team will lose 100 games...but 82 wins? You are crazy if you bet on that over 100 losses.

I am so looking forward to this season! I know we will not compete for the playoffs, so going into this season is just plain stress free. It will be fun to watch this team grow not through wins and losses, but through improvement and thoughts of the future.

This will be a fun season, and the team I get to watch in Appleton is going to be a blast as well!

Things are looking up for this franchise, there is no doubt about that!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

While a top 5 draft pick may have a better chance of turning into a superstar, I'd argue it'd still be better (after trading half the team and improving the farm system dramatically already in the process mind you) to:

- Finish closer to .500, appeasing the fans and having higher interest throughout the season resulting in increased revenue

- Have a slew of players over-achieve (or reach their potential that others gave up on too soon) to get to .500, resulting in more talent on the team for the future and/or to swap for more talent in the farm system

- Not have the prospects/young talent on the team already this year flop (ie. Santana, Arcia, Phillips, Davies, Nelson, should all have time on the big league roster this year and are hopefully pieces on the next contending team, so they're likely playing well if we reach .500)

- And still get a 1st round pick in the 10-15 range as well

If we get a top 5 pick, that's great for that one potential player, however it's bad in many other ways. And if we play close to .500 ball after trading away half the team... AND we have all the prospects start rolling in on top of that... that's very good news. So I don't think it's preferable to lose as many games as possible.

Archived