Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 2)

I think he is going to be traded (if he even is) to a team other than Texas. We've beat this trade with Texas to death.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Colorado come knocking and offering up some worthy prospects? They have Mark Reynolds playing 1b, Nick Hundley+Tony Wolters as their catchers. While Colorado has to be waiting on Gray+Hoffman to join the ML roster, they do have promising young arms that you could pair with a blocked at 3b Ryan McMahon. Kyle Freeland, Mike Nikorak, and Peter Lambert are future starters with some promise.

This is more of a Trade Deadline to offseason proposal. But should Colorado be in the playoff hunt with adding Gray or Hoffman to the rotation, Lucroy would fit in nicely over the guys currently residing as Colorado's C/1b. It'd be a big upgrade to have him in their lineup.

No one thinks the sky is falling, but it could really quick and I don't think anyone would be surprised if Lucroy got some bad injury. He has a pretty good list of injuries so far. If Lucroy gets injured before the deadline we could be in big trouble. What if Lucroy gets injured and returns, but just doesn't hit well? Then no one will be too excited about him in the off season. There is a ton of risk and people see that.

I agree. If Jon Daniels were going to make a deal, a Lucroy to Texas deal would have happened already. Daniels doesn't want to look outwitted in the Ivy League alumni matchup with Stearns. More likely landing spots could be Houston, Washington, Minnesota, Chicago or Boston. You're going to need a reasonable trade partner who understands value of a trade working for both sides. That's how you get things done. It's actually more sophisticated thinking, despite however smart he apparently insists on showing he is. You don't get deals done trying to rip off the other team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Tate can be crossed off on the trade prospects. He's off to a 10.2 0ER 1bb-16K start to the season. #4 pick in last years draft and he's doing this? I'd advance him up a level after just 1 more start of this quality. He could be in AAA by year's end and a SP for Texas by next season. Lucroy isn't enough to get that kind of prospect.

Yeah, I really like Tate and had him at the top of my 'get' list - but if he keeps this up, he's a Top 20 player in short order - and off limits.

I agree. If Jon Daniels were going to make a deal, a Lucroy to Texas deal would have happened already. Daniels doesn't want to look outwitted in the Ivy League alumni matchup with Stearns. More likely landing spots could be Houston, Washington, Minnesota, Chicago or Boston. You're going to need a reasonable trade partner who understands value of a trade working for both sides. That's how you get things done. It's actually more sophisticated thinking, despite however smart he apparently insists on showing he is. You don't get deals done trying to rip off the other team.

Exactly. Texas, the Mets and Atlanta are teams that I don't have much interest in dealing with moving forward.... waste of time.

Anybody remember the last major deal that took place in April? Or May? I just don't see it happening until June at the earliest. Teams don't want to deal now, then have the season fall apart for some other reason. Teams will wait until at least 1/3 into the season and, if they are in contention at that point and they need a catcher, they will start talking about a deal.

I'm not saying this line of thinking is right, but it's how it works. Unless I've forgotten about some major trades that happened in April or May. Then, nevermind.

Yes, that is because generally, teams who are clearly not competing have sold before the season, and all the rest of the teams at least attempt to contend until July. The Brewers are a very unusual case, though, in that they are clearly not looking to compete this year, but still have a significant chip. They are great candidates to be exceptions to this rule.

But somebody else has to want to make a deal too. I don't think a lot of teams are looking to make a big trade right now. So my point isn't that the Brewers should hang on to Lucroy until closer to the deadline, it's that there may not be any partners to make a deal with yet. The serious offers will start coming in a month from now, when teams feel like they know more about their team and how good they'll be.

On a serious note the fact Lucroy has that extra year makes it a little more plausible a trade could happen early, but even then it is a serious stretch.

Most trades don't happen early because most are rentals. You don't want to trade for a rental in May and proceed to go like 5-20 in June. That would look really stupid so that is why most teams wait till last minute. You want to make sure you are truly in/out of the race. The other reason is most teams like exhausting internal options first before making a trade.

It's not something we're likely to see, but if a team rented a player in May and subsequently fell apart, it could always sublet that player in July.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I am starting to see the Red Sox as a very viable partner for Lucroy. They sent Swihart down very quickly and Vasquez has never been known as a good hitter.

Send:

Lucroy

Blazek (yes I think we will have to put some more value in)

Receive:

Swihart

Devers

Sam Travis

Brian Johnson

It's a haul for sure, but the Red Sox have a lot of depth in their system. Wouldn't mind a few more rookie level Stearns lotto tickets in there as well.

I'd be all for Lucroy to Boston

I'd rather have Anderson Espinoza(18 years old) instead of Brian Johnson(25 years old in AAA)

Lucroy

Jeffress or Blazek or Thornburg

for

Swihart(Former #18 overall prospect)

Devers(#13)

Espinoza(#37)

Lotto Ticket

That would be a really good haul

The fact Lucroy is still on this team tells me those proposals are dream hauls. Stearns would be happy if he got two of those guys none the less three. Heck even one of those guys plus complementing pieces would be pretty stellar. Not to mention I don't see where he fits in with Boston. They have internal options that are quite adequate. I doubt they are desperate enough to sell off a piece of the farm for him.

He will either end up with the Rangers, Astros, or possibly the Nationals. One of those teams because they actually have black holes at catcher. Gut tells me Rangers because it makes so much sense, but I also see the Astros as a team to really pony up some prospects. Then again not sure if how Gomez is working out for them effects their willingness to deal with the Brewers.

They have internal options...But they dont' really fit that team and are very upgradable. They are clearly trying to win now. Lucroy improves them tremendously right now. Their internal options aren't great for where they are. Swihart was rushed last year and his defense needs work, and they are not in a spot to give him that time in the majors. The Brewers are. I would argue that Vazquez and Hanigan are black holes on offense. They very well may be ok with that for their defensive prowess but adding Lucroy lengthens their lineup and they don't lose a ton on defense.

I will add I don't think those deals are on the table right now and barring injury or desperation won't be until June or July. That said I think there is a solid chance the Red Sox will be involved then. I think the Nats are involved as well at that time.

White Sox have gotten awful production from their catching so far. That is a team that has treaded water and Sale is quickly moving towards FA. Wouldn't be shocked if they go hard if they are in the race(which I think they will be).

One thing is for sure...there will be no shortage of teams needing a catcher.

Jonathan Lucroy is actually doing pretty darn well for Lucroy standards. He typically starts off slow with little power. He hasn't had the power so far, but outside of that he has looked really solid. Best part...he absolutely tears it up in June/July right when teams will start to heavily watch him.

White Sox have gotten awful production from their catching so far. That is a team that has treaded water and Sale is quickly moving towards FA. Wouldn't be shocked if they go hard if they are in the race(which I think they will be).

One thing is for sure...there will be no shortage of teams needing a catcher.

White Sox do not have much in the way of prospects. Carson Fulmer is the obvious prize but even though he's been bad so far at AA, I don't think the Sox want to give him up.

White Sox have Rodon or Fulmer to headline a package. Though with Rodon in the rotation he probably is not available. I could see a package around Fulmer...it would be crazy, but wouldn't any package for Lucroy be crazy?

I kinda figure it's still early enough that teams with a need at catcher are still saying "Maybe he'll be ok" with the players they've got and won't be trading good prospects away for another 3-4 weeks yet. Maybe Stearns is playing the Boras game by setting a high price and just waiting it out until someone finally gives in.

"Umm - hey Jeff, remember me...David Stearns? So yeah, your catchers are hitting at a sub .400 OPS. Notice that? So...yeah, I'll take AJ Reed, Francis Martes and David Paulino for Luc. Deal?"
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Archived