Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 2)

It's all about what Houston believes. You can't look at a prior trade and let that dictate how you will approach the next. Gomez fell off a cliff. I doubt Melvin really predicted that was going to happen. You can't say, "Well Lucroy is coming from Milwaukee too so I bet he falls off a cliff like Gomez."

Stearns doesn't know anything about that system that the Astros don't already know themselves.

I'm not saying that Milwaukee thinks that way, or Houston either. No one knew or expected Gomez's free fall. What I do suspect is that when Houston is calling David Stearns or vis versa, the Astros are going to be extra cautious on players included in those packages. Getting burned three times (including the Villar/Sneed deal in this even though the jury is still out on Cy, but looks our way currently) by the same team in Milwaukee would be a huge black eye to the Houston front office. Package that with the Ken Giles deal this offseason and things could start to go south rather quickly in Texas.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Houston is fascinating because so many guys are underperforming - Gomez, Rasmus, Correa, McHugh, Fiers, Keuchel, Giles. And not just a little - but by a ton.

In some ways, the Astros have to believe guys will get better - and thus not panic.

All that said, they could definitely use Lucroy.

I would love to get Alex Bregmann, but I doubt that happens (in fact, I see him as potentially taking 3B sooner or later - let Valbueno move to 1B if the others guys can't improve).

Otherwise, I don't know if there's any guy I love as a centerpiece (outside of Bregmann). Lot's of good guys I'd like to have, but not that one guy that really would help transform the team.

I don't know about the other ones but Fiers and Gomez not being great is not much of a surprise. I was always waiting for Gomez to drop off a cliff and Fiers never really had the stuff you would expect from someone with his results.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think Lucroy ends up on the Mets but they need a 3rd team involved to make the trade happen.

Brewers send Aaron Hill and Jon Lucroy to the Mets

Brewers send a reliever to Team TBD

Mets send Zack Wheeler to Team TBD

Mets send prospects to Brewers

Team TBD sends prospects to the Brewers.

It would be nice if that team was Boston. I know the starting pitching market looks bleak at the moment so the Brewers could get a nice haul. Maybe Devers and Kopech + prospects from the Mets?

@WiscoSportsNut

Yes and if any proposal includes Wilmer Flores, you hang up the phone. Not because of the crying last year but because he is terrible. Likewise for the Mets, Matz is probably a non-starter in any trade. He is a local kid who could be a star.

Redsox send 3B Rafael Devers, RHP Michael Kopech and 1B Josh Okimey

Redsox receive RHP Zack Wheeler and LHP Will Smith

Mets send Zack Wheeler, Amed Rosario, RHP Marcos Molina and LHP Max Wotell

Mets receive C Jon Lucroy and IF Aaron Hill

Brewers send C Jon Lucroy, IF Aaron Hill and LHP Will Smith

Brewers receive 3B Rafael Devers, RHP Michael Kopech, SS Amed Rosario, RHP Marcos Molina, LHP Max Wotell and 1B Josh Okimey

@WiscoSportsNut

Yes and if any proposal includes Wilmer Flores, you hang up the phone. Not because of the crying last year but because he is terrible. Likewise for the Mets, Matz is probably a non-starter in any trade. He is a local kid who could be a star.
I disagree that Flores is terrible. He's a pretty decent player who's also versatile. That said, it would be underwhelming as hell if he was part of a Lucroy package.

Redsox send 3B Rafael Devers, RHP Michael Kopech and 1B Josh Okimey

Redsox receive RHP Zack Wheeler and LHP Will Smith

Mets send Zack Wheeler, Amed Rosario, RHP Marcos Molina and LHP Max Wotell

Mets receive C Jon Lucroy and IF Aaron Hill

Brewers send C Jon Lucroy, IF Aaron Hill and LHP Will Smith

Brewers receive 3B Rafael Devers, RHP Michael Kopech, SS Amed Rosario, RHP Marcos Molina, LHP Max Wotell and 1B Josh Okimey

That trade for Boston is pretty bad considering Wheeler has yet to pitch coming off TJ.

I'm not in the business in doing the Mets any favors. The worse they are the higher the price should go IMO. Any package with the Mets starts with Conforto, Matz, or Rosario.

The Mets are in desperate need offense so I'd think they'd hand onto Conforto even if they were to add a bat like Lucroy. I think I'd also be surprised if they move Matz for a bat. Wheeler is a likely choice, even though he's a wildcard at this point, plus some arms in the lower level or a lower level bat or two.

Just the way I see it with the Mets.

Flores has been deemed a no go at SS by the Mets. So his versatality becomes 2b or 3b and which his 3b stats are exceptionally poor for the position. Leaves 2b where you stomach his offensive offense. Maybe he's young enough he'll grow in to a better batter, but at this point, he's only getting starts for David Wright's injury otherwise he'd either be a PH, or in AAA.

The Zach Wheeler trade idea to Boston, He will return to the staff supposedly within a month and have starts before the Aug 1st deadline. Boston is in on SP acquiring and maybe to them Wheeler is worth the price tag. The Mets don't get enough in the deal for the cost. While Lucroy is worth the haul big time and Smith is worth some pieces, Boston isn't giving up enough to get Wheeler to the Mets as well as Smith from Milwaukee.

Bos's #2/5&16th ranked prospects get a SP/BP

While Mets SP/#2/8&16 Get Lucroy and a 3b rental who's not a big improvement over Flores. Boston has to add something to the Mets Something like Devin Marrero or even better as I liked him, Michael Chavis to the Mets. Marrero would make sense if the Mets are trading their SS prospect away.

Verified Member

Flores is basically Yuni B but with good defense. Which is actually a passable major league asset, but not exactly someone we need to trade for (especially in a Lucroy trade, and especially given that we already have Villar and Arcia).

-------

Continued here:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=34203

Archived