Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 2)

They've been playing Arcia at 2B as another little ploy to try and build Villar's value. That's all. Orlando Arcia is the SS, not Villar. If we keep Villar at SS when Orlando comes up, it'll be the dumbest thing we've done since we trotted Marcum out for Game 6.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know there are guys on here a lot better at understanding the advanced statistics than me. But how accurate are those with all the shifting and shading we are doing? By my eye he seems to move well with a strong arm. I understand statistics have gotten a lot more accurate but I can't help but question them.

See I would think moving Villar around would build up his value more. Maybe we can include him in a Braun or Lucroy trade to increase the return.
SS will always have more value than 2B or 3B.

SS's that can play 2B and 3B will have more value than a guy who only plays SS.

See I would think moving Villar around would build up his value more. Maybe we can include him in a Braun or Lucroy trade to increase the return.
SS will always have more value than 2B or 3B.

SS's that can play 2B and 3B will have more value than a guy who only plays SS.

And please enlighten me here but what SS is out there that can only play SS? :laughing:

Your point is entirely redundant. :laughing:

I know there are guys on here a lot better at understanding the advanced statistics than me. But how accurate are those with all the shifting and shading we are doing? By my eye he seems to move well with a strong arm. I understand statistics have gotten a lot more accurate but I can't help but question them.

He's got the arm but his range is what is lacking.

Lucroy nearing 900OPS. .314 BA atm. Of course Stearns isn't shopping Lucroy, he may under sell him making an offer. Just call him make an offer and discuss a better trade offer I imagine is what he's doing. I just wonder how long teams will wait to acquire him and meet Stearns' demands? How great Lucroy is doing compared to available Catchers is such an advantage the more games you have him. Especially when you consider what the cost will end up being.

And please enlighten me here but what SS is out there that can only play SS

Didn't Escobar play 2B for a few games while he was in AAA and do pretty badly there?

RE: Villar. I think his greatest value will be as a utility guy. I'd think him showing he can play 2B and 3B would increase his value more than him plying all of his games at SS.

Moving Arcia to 2B at any point suggests you have a better option at SS which is not the case unless the trade piece back is an elite All Star caliber defender.

He wasn't playing 2B for versitilty because there would be no point to that. He is our systems best defensive SS by a wide margin.

Verified Member
Arcia has 0 days of MLB experience. There is a distinct chance he totally flops and/or his defense does not translate well to the majors. Since Villar looks like a credible starting SS at this point, it makes sense to give Arcia some versatility so he could, if necessary, get playing time elsewhere or platoon with Scooter or whatever.

Arcia has 0 days of MLB experience. There is a distinct chance he totally flops and/or his defense does not translate well to the majors. Since Villar looks like a credible starting SS at this point, it makes sense to give Arcia some versatility so he could, if necessary, get playing time elsewhere or platoon with Scooter or whatever.

Defense translates......I gave zero doubt about Arcia's defense at the next level. His bat is what is unknown but he will get every chance to succeed.

The defense will translate of course. I do admit I'm concerned about his offense. He isn't producing like I had hoped he would especially in Colorado Springs.

But if he is up in the majors he is playing SS as there would be no one better on D than him.

Verified Member

Defense translates......I gave zero doubt about Arcia's defense at the next level. His bat is what is unknown but he will get every chance to succeed.

As mentioned a few posts above, Villar was considered an excellent defender in the minors, and I think most would agree he is subpar in the majors (at shortstop).

We are talking about the minor leagues here where players are supposed to be working on their skills. It's fairly obvious that Arcia has mastered defense at SS. We have other players that could use the reps there. Arcia needs to continue to work on the bat. You have an opportunity to get him some game time at a position he should be able to handle easily while keeping him in the lineup to work on the at bats. It's not that big of a deal. He is a long term shortstop, make no mistake about that.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Switching gears a little bit, and assuming the Astros play themselves back into being a legit contender and want Luc around the deadline, I've fell in love with the idea of getting a guy like Joe Musgrove as a second-tier piece. Low to mid 90's with his fastball with a 99:8 K to BB ratio last year and an overall 70 control. I've always had a thing for the Davies, Kyle Hendricks, Musgrove types that can work their stuff but have exceptional control limiting free passes and wasted pitches.

Houston seems like an obvious trade partner, but does anyone think there will be hesitation to make a deal with Stearns? I say that because recent trade history between both clubs has not been beneficial towards the Astros. Could there be a fear of another fleecing on their end since Stearns knows that system so well?

Would Houston have any interest in Gennett or Carter? How about Lucroy and one of those guys for Colin Moran, Musgrove, AJ Reed and another piece. Moran and Reed can hold down third and first respectively, Villar can shift to second and Arcia can come up. Or Villar can stay at short and Hill can play second. Probably not the highest ceiling return but it definitely speeds up the rebuild. If Reed and Moran work out you have your infield set for years. Keep Braun as your veteran presence. Is that not enough in return? Too much?

Would Houston have any interest in Gennett or Carter? How about Lucroy and one of those guys for Colin Moran, Musgrove, AJ Reed and another piece. Moran and Reed can hold down third and first respectively, Villar can shift to second and Arcia can come up. Or Villar can stay at short and Hill can play second. Probably not the highest ceiling return but it definitely speeds up the rebuild. If Reed and Moran work out you have your infield set for years. Keep Braun as your veteran presence. Is that not enough in return? Too much?

With Altuve at 2b and Correa as SS, can't envision any Astro interest in Scooter. Hill (at 3b) might be of interest as Valbuena has struggled this year.

Considering the Astros cut loose Carter, highly doubt they will trade to get him back.

Getting no secondary production in the outfield with Tony Kemp or Marisnick, maybe an appropriate throw in piece would be Nieuwenhuis other than maybe a bullpen piece. If a big trade with Houston goes down it'll be like a true Miller Park south with how many former Brewers will be playing for them.

To address the Stearns/Houston hesitation on Houston's part, I've always wondered this, as well. It seems the consensus is the Astros got fleeced in the last two Houston/Milwaukee trades, so I'd guess even though it's Stearns and the matchup looks golden on paper, the Astros' front office will be doing plenty of cross checking to do everything in their power that this trade works out for Houston as well.

It's all about what Houston believes. You can't look at a prior trade and let that dictate how you will approach the next. Gomez fell off a cliff. I doubt Melvin really predicted that was going to happen. You can't say, "Well Lucroy is coming from Milwaukee too so I bet he falls off a cliff like Gomez."

Stearns doesn't know anything about that system that the Astros don't already know themselves.

Archived