Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 2)

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member

Come on sports media, really? Zack Wheeler would give us just two years of team control over Jonathan Lucroy (Wheeler a FA before 2020, Lucroy a FA before 2018). Even if Wheeler were a solid #1/2 (he's not) and wasn't returning from a major injury (he is), what would be the point?

Stearns is not that dumb.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So he swapped out Gomez for Lucroy.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Come on sports media, really? Zack Wheeler would give us just two years of team control over Jonathan Lucroy (Wheeler a FA before 2020, Lucroy a FA before 2018). Even if Wheeler were a solid #1/2 (he's not) and wasn't returning from a major injury (he is), what would be the point?

Stearns is not that dumb.

But the ESPN (or whomever it is from) is that stupid.

Verified Member
I'll take Yoan Moncada from Boston for Luc.

Of course, they won't do that. But I want it to happen, so I'm going to keep saying it to make me feel better.

I'd settle for Julio Urias from the Dodgers :)

I'd actually says here are a lot of suitors for Lucroy, especially with a little creativity so I think he's gonna be gone.

Indians - Gones has been awful and could be traded back

Mets- Darnaud is hurt a lot and they have a platoon lefty at 1B

Red Sox- yes Vazquez is good defensively, but so Is Lucroy but he can actually hit a baseball

White Sox and Angels - if they can muster up prospects and if the Angels contend

Yankees - McCann and Lucroy can split catcher and 1B. ARod hasn't done much at DH.

Rangers- Chirinos is back but Lucroy is still an upgrade. Plus they have unproductive lefties at DH and 1B.

Giants- Posey and Lucroy can rotate C and 1B to keep them both fresh with Belt playing OF, which the Giants need help in.

Rays - have plenty of pitching and could get s hitter they can afford

Astros - Castros been OK but it may not last. Plus they have issues at 1B

I'll take Yoan Moncada from Boston for Luc.

Of course, they won't do that. But I want it to happen, so I'm going to keep saying it to make me feel better.

I'd settle for Julio Urias from the Dodgers :)

I'd be good with him as well. Giolito works for me too. Any of those three guys is fine.

I'd actually says here are a lot of suitors for Lucroy, especially with a little creativity so I think he's gonna be gone.

Indians - Gones has been awful and could be traded back

Indians have some nice talent, but they are reportedly reluctant to deal their top guys. Still, a couple of guys like Clint Frazier and Brady Aiken would be nice additions.

Mets- Darnaud is hurt a lot and they have a platoon lefty at 1B

Mets have an okay system right now, but no one is really outstanding looking. Smith, Cecchini, Nimmo - all solid prospects, but nothing great. No arms either - which is something team might prioritize going forward. We would have to take Matz or Wheeler as a centerpiece, but with Matz's success, he would be hard to part with. Wheeler would only offer 3 years of control (plus whatever he pitches this year), plus he's coming off an injury, so there's some risk. I just don't know if anything really works.

Red Sox- yes Vazquez is good defensively, but so Is Lucroy but he can actually hit a baseball

Sox have some nice looking young guys. Moncada is probably untouchable, but something around Devers and Anderson Espinoza might work. At times, I'm wary about Red Sox prospects, because I think the hype machine (Gammons, etc.) pumps up their value.

White Sox and Angels - if they can muster up prospects and if the Angels contend

Angels farm system is abysmal. White Sox is pretty bad too. There's really no great prospect I'd want for Luc in either system.

Yankees - McCann and Lucroy can split catcher and 1B. ARod hasn't done much at DH.

Yanks have some decent guys I'd take back, but no one that great. Like Boston, I am wary of Yankee prospects because they sometimes get overhyped. Still, Mateo looks like a quality SS, and Sanchez looks like a decent catcher.

Rangers- Chirinos is back but Lucroy is still an upgrade. Plus they have unproductive lefties at C and 1B.

Rangers match up with guys like Tate, Brinson, Ortiz and Gallo. Gallo would be fascinating, but I have a feeling the Rangers are going to move him to 1B at some point to replace Moreland/Fielder black hole. I really liked Tate coming out of college, but his results this year are mixed. I'd be wary of Ortiz due to his weight, but he's looking like a good pitcher.

Giants- Posey and Lucroy can rotate C and 1B to keep them both fresh with Belt playing OF, which the Giants need help in.

Like the White Sox, the Giants don't have much in the way of prospects. Unless they get third team involved, I don't know if anything works with them.

Rays - have plenty of pitching and could get s hitter they can afford

Tampa could build something around Snell and/or Adams. I liked Honeywell a lot as well, but he's hurt now. Not sure of his status. Luc would be perfect for them, but I just don't see them coughing up a couple of their top prospects. It's unlike them. And their record isn't great - 4 games under .500 - so adding Luc be more of a hail mary.

Astros - Castros been OK but it may not last. Plus they have issues at 1B

Houston still has a nice system, but the main guy I'd want, Alex Bergman, is probably untouchable. AJ Reed and Martes have had mixed success this year, but both would be good additions - just not great ones.

All in all, it's going to take some work to get things to match up. I just hope we don't settle for a package of 'okay' players. I want a stud or two coming back if we are giving up the best catcher in baseball.

The fact that one of Braun’s teammates, Jonathan Lucroy, is still on the Brewers surprises some baseball executives. One National League exec thinks rebuilding Milwaukee has an unrealistic asking price for Lucroy. Nevertheless, the 29-year-old has made his case for a major return by serving as perhaps the majors’ best catcher this season; plus, he has a cheap club option for 2017

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/06/cafardos-latest-brewers-teheran-kemp-hudson.html

Now this I do not buy one bit. Executives from Detroit and Seattle have said Stearns' was nothing but reasonable when it came to negotiations, and publicly praised DS after the trades of both Lind and K-Rod. It's probably someone trying to gain leverage in any possible way to swing a deal in their favor. Also they're probably upset they didn't take advantage of our previous regime. Usually I take whatever "unknown executives" say with a grain of salt, but this irked me. Nothing in his history shows that he's unrealistic with his expectations or player values. Just because DS has a firm asking price doesn't mean he is being unrealistic.

The fact that one of Braun’s teammates, Jonathan Lucroy, is still on the Brewers surprises some baseball executives. One National League exec thinks rebuilding Milwaukee has an unrealistic asking price for Lucroy. Nevertheless, the 29-year-old has made his case for a major return by serving as perhaps the majors’ best catcher this season; plus, he has a cheap club option for 2017

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/06/cafardos-latest-brewers-teheran-kemp-hudson.html

Now this I do not buy one bit. Executives from Detroit and Seattle have said Stearns' was nothing but reasonable when it came to negotiations, and publicly praised DS after the trades of both Lind and K-Rod. It's probably someone trying to gain leverage in any possible way to swing a deal in their favor. Also they're probably upset they didn't take advantage of our previous regime. Usually I take whatever "unknown executives" say with a grain of salt, but this irked me. Nothing in his history shows that he's unrealistic with his expectations or player values. Just because DS has a firm asking price doesn't mean he is being unrealistic.

There's a big difference between trading an oft-injured platoon first baseman/end of his career closer and the top player in the game at his position who's youngish and cheap with team control. I think there is a lot of truth to that rumor. Stearns should be asking for the moon, unfortunately, I just don't see any team with the combination of need and prospects to get that deal done right now.

Verified Member

Could be leaks meant to pressure Stearns to dropping his asking price. Doubt he does. Even MLBTR recognized the other day that a fair return would be as much as two of Boston's top prospects (Moncada, Devers, etc.)

There's a big difference between trading an oft-injured platoon first baseman/end of his career closer and the top player in the game at his position who's youngish and cheap with team control. I think there is a lot of truth to that rumor. Stearns should be asking for the moon, unfortunately, I just don't see any team with the combination of need and prospects to get that deal done right now.

I'm not doubting the rumor or the report I'm more so refuting that Stearns is being unrealistic with his demands. Based on his previous deals he seems to have a great grasp on the value of a player.

Could be leaks meant to pressure Stearns to dropping his asking price. Doubt he does. Even MLBTR recognized the other day that a fair return would be as much as two of Boston's top prospects (Moncada, Devers, etc.)

I don't think much thought was put into that comment from MLBTR. Moncada straight up for Lucroy wouldn't happen.

I don't think much thought was put into that comment from MLBTR. Moncada straight up for Lucroy wouldn't happen.

I guess I'm not super familiar with Moncada. Is he the 19 or so year old that was a big time Cuban free agent in 14-15? Why is he so untouchable? Nothing about his minor league numbers screams Harper/Trout level prospect.

I guess I'm not super familiar with Moncada. Is he the 19 or so year old that was a big time Cuban free agent in 14-15? Why is he so untouchable? Nothing about his minor league numbers screams Harper/Trout level prospect.

He plays 2B and is considered a Robinson Cano with more speed. He probably won't hit as many homeruns because of his swing(not a ton of loft), but he is a doubles machine. He has struck out a tad bit, but not a crazy amount.

He has a fairly attainable ceiling(best 2B in the game) and a very high floor. In my opinion he may be the best prospect in the game for those reasons.

With the year Lucroy is having if a team wants him then it is going to cost a lot of prospects.

Red Sox are the most likely trade partner that have the pieces to make a trade happen.

Devers, Espinoza, Ockimey, and Ball should be enough for Lucroy. After the Red Sox I don't see a team that has enough prospects to get a deal done. Maybe if the Nationals would trade Giolito and another piece then maybe but otherwise I don't see a fit. The Rangers have the pieces but I don't see them as an interested party.

I still think the Indians should make a deal. Attendance is atrocious. They are finally in a pennant chase, and they need to send a message to their fan base that they're going for it this year. Plus, they get Lucroy for next year as well. They could give up a couple top prospects and still have plenty in their pipeline.

Not saying they will make a deal, just that they should.

If the Nats offered Giolito straight up for Lucroy I would hope Stearns would say yes immediately.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

With the year Lucroy is having if a team wants him then it is going to cost a lot of prospects.

Red Sox are the most likely trade partner that have the pieces to make a trade happen.

Devers, Espinoza, Ockimey, and Ball should be enough for Lucroy. After the Red Sox I don't see a team that has enough prospects to get a deal done. Maybe if the Nationals would trade Giolito and another piece then maybe but otherwise I don't see a fit. The Rangers have the pieces but I don't see them as an interested party.

I'd be very happy with that deal. Now, we are talking. If we have to add a pitcher with Lucroy, I am open to that.

I don't think it's realistic that the Red Sox even give up one of 3B Rafael Devers or RHP Anderson Espinosa in a deal for 1 1/2 years of Lucroy, let alone BOTH+.

I also think that RHP Lucas Giolito is 100% untouchable via trade with the Nationals as well.

I think the Rangers, Dodgers, or Rays match up well with us for trade partners.

Lucroy

for

RHP Luis Ortiz, OF Lewis Brinson (Rangers)

or

RHP Jose De Leon, OF/1B Cody Bellinger (Dodgers)

or

RHP Brent Honeywell, 1B Casey Gillaspie (Rays)

I think a third, lower level piece could be added to these deals as well, but I would be happy to land two-blue chip prospects for Lucroy at this point.

Which of these 3 hypothetical deals do Brewer fans find most attractive?

Archived