Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 2)

Marc Topkin, the lead writer for the Rays states today that the window for the Rays is right now, and he believes a deal for Lucroy should happen....obviously a fair ways a way from should to will, but writers have been known to posit their own theories from information they have culled, and Topkin is one of my favorite twitter follows because he definitely in the know....

Some things his article

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/analysis-rays-need-to-get-radical-before-season-slips-away/2280354

mentions is that Jake Odorizzi is viewed as a trade chip, which confuses me as he ia 26 year old pitching like a solid #2 starter, and it should be mentioned that their top prospect, Willy Adames is a near clone of Arcia - a smooth shortstop with pop and speed...Adames is a top 25-50 prospect in baseball, and would be a strong get, if not for the prospect overlap. The other prospect I have seen linked to a potential deal in Brent Honeywell, who has unfortunately been shut down with elbow issues after tearing through the FSL in the early stages of this year....the level of seriousness of the injury is up for debate, but it does concern me.

So I have to conclude no easy answers come from the Rays farm and multi-team deals have become very rare...that said, the Rays have some very valuable pieces, a chance to contend in a weak AL East, and a definite need at catcher

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marc Topkin, the lead writer for the Rays states today that the window for the Rays is right now, and he believes a deal for Lucroy should happen....obviously a fair ways a way from should to will, but writers have been known to posit their own theories from information they have culled, and Topkin is one of my favorite twitter follows because he definitely in the know....

Some things his article

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/analysis-rays-need-to-get-radical-before-season-slips-away/2280354

mentions is that Jake Odorizzi is viewed as a trade chip, which confuses me as he ia 26 year old pitching like a solid #2 starter, and it should be mentioned that their top prospect, Willy Adames is a near clone of Arcia - a smooth shortstop with pop and speed...Adames is a top 25-50 prospect in baseball, and would be a strong get, if not for the prospect overlap. The other prospect I have seen linked to a potential deal in Brent Honeywell, who has unfortunately been shut down with elbow issues after tearing through the FSL in the early stages of this year....the level of seriousness of the injury is up for debate, but it does concern me.

So I have to conclude no easy answers come from the Rays farm and multi-team deals have become very rare...that said, the Rays have some very valuable pieces, a chance to contend in a weak AL East, and a definite need at catcher

The Rays are in 5th place, 8 games out of first, 6.5 out of a wild card, and 6 games under .500. We are more in contention then they are. They have no business trading away prospects.

what a silly statement...yes...we have a chance of catching the Cubs.....sure, whatever you say....

The Red Sox are very catchable as they have ridden a wave of hitting that is not sustainable and both top teams right now have a wide disparity in home/away games....at the 1/3 way of the season, the Rays have a chance of getting back in this if they add to current team and get a better performance from Archer

Moncada - Arcia - Villar around the horn? Oh boy!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Some things his article

The Rays are in 5th place, 8 games out of first, 6.5 out of a wild card, and 6 games under .500. We are more in contention then they are. They have no business trading away prospects.

But should they NEED to move on from say Garrett Whitley, Casey Gillaspie or Brent Honeywell (Is it that darn screwball that's causing soreness?) they would definitely have my attention.

Boston might be a good fit. They just put 2 catchers on the DL. I don't know if they would trade Moncada but they do have some interesting guys in their top 10

They would laugh if you wanted Moncada just for Lucroy. You would need to trade a good haul of talent to get back Moncada.

I'm getting to the point of just holding onto Lucroy if we aren't getting any elite talent in return. If we're being low balled around the league I'm perfectly OK holding on to him until the winter. This is the biggest trade chip on the market and you're not being a homer for admitting it.

Verified Member
Boston might be a good fit. They just put 2 catchers on the DL. I don't know if they would trade Moncada but they do have some interesting guys in their top 10

They would laugh if you wanted Moncada just for Lucroy. You would need to trade a good haul of talent to get back Moncada.

Then hang up the phone, low-minors prospects are not that valuable. Lucroy is a huge trade asset and there are no prospects that are "hands off". Granted, Moncada is a more complicated situation because Boston already has sunk $$ in him.

then you can only offer 1 postseason of lucroy instead of two...
True, but you don't just accept a deal for the sake of doing it. It would be a different story if Luc had a huge contract, but he's one of the best bargain vets in the league, and he still holds value to our ball club outside of trade.

Then hang up the phone, low-minors prospects are not that valuable. Lucroy is a huge trade asset and there are no prospects that are "hands off". Granted, Moncada is a more complicated situation because Boston already has sunk $$ in him.

I have no problem with Moncada being off limits. They sunk a friggin ton of money on him. While he would get me insanely excited it's alright to say he's not a realistic option. Boston can still put together an elite package with out him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I know it won't happen, but Moncada would be awesome.

The guy already has 26 xbh this year - plus 33 steals to go with 39 walks (and his .300+ BA). He does strike out a lot, but I would live with that.

The big thing is that he plays 2B. Pedroia is signed through 2021, so unless you can move Moncada, where do you play him?

Mocada basically = Arcia. I'm not sure even Doug would make that trade. I'd be fine with Devers/Swihart/Raudes
Call me crazy, but that package is underwhelming as hell given what we know about Swihart, and I'm not all that certain Devers is as big of stud he's projected as. I've watched him more than a few times, and I don't think he's the blue chip prospect the mainstream says he is. His numbers in advanced A ball are God awful too. Not real surprising for a guy his age, but also not someone I want as a center piece in a Luc deal.

The guy already has 26 xbh this year - plus 33 steals to go with 39 walks (and his .300+ BA). He does strike out a lot, but I would live with that.

The big thing is that he plays 2B. Pedroia is signed through 2021, so unless you can move Moncada, where do you play him?

Could he play 3B? Because if he can he's even more interesting for the Brewers.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Mocada basically = Arcia. I'm not sure even Doug would make that trade. I'd be fine with Devers/Swihart/Raudes
Call me crazy, but that package is underwhelming as hell given what we know about Swihart, and I'm not all that certain Devers is as big of stud he's projected as. I've watched him more than a few times, and I don't think he's the blue chip prospect the mainstream says he is. His numbers in advanced A ball are God awful too. Not real surprising for a guy his age, but also not someone I want as a center piece in a Luc deal.

I'd still do that deal because it's probably the best we could do and Devers is the perfect match of upside and need for us, but I can understand your skepticism. I'm nervous about any deal with the Red Sox. Their prospects are notoriously overrated.

Could he play 3B? Because if he can he's even more interesting for the Brewers.

That's where I believe Boston moves him to get his bat in the lineup. Here (hypothetically) he definitely plays 2B.

I'd still do that deal because it's probably the best we could do and Devers is the perfect match of upside and need for us, but I can understand your skepticism. I'm nervous about any deal with the Red Sox. Their prospects are notoriously overrated.

Hopefully DS keeps his poker face up till the last minute and a team caves into his demands. He's played his cards right so far, so we shall see...

I would take Moncada 10/10 times over Arcia. If Arcia wan't such a good defensive SS, he wouldn't be top 10 prospect

How does it work for controllable years with a guy like Moncada? I feel like I remember hearing that he would be a free agent sooner? Or something like that. If so, that doesnt really go towards what the Brewers are trying to build.

I would take Moncada 10/10 times over Arcia. If Arcia wan't such a good defensive SS, he wouldn't be top 10 prospect

Arcia did put up a 126 wRC+ at age 21 in AA. For comparison sake, Nomar Mazara put up a 123 wRC+ and Francisco Lindor put up a 109 wRC+. Not sayng Arcia will see immediate success at the big leagues that those two have, but Arcia has plenty of upside at the plate.

Uh Yeah, take away anyone's best skill set and they look worse.. ;)

Archived