Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 2)

I am all for picking up money, but $90mil is ridiculous and not even realistic. If the Brewers loved Gallo I could see $40-$50mil max. Though less if Tate is the only other piece. I know the Brewers offered Moncada about $25mil so maybe with flexible finances an MLB ready Gallo would garner closer to what they offered Abreu($50mil?).

Don't underestimate the worth of an elite prospect. Moncada got $70mil and while I don't think Gallo quite has the value of him he isn't far off.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've thought forever that the Rangers were the ideal match on Luc. They (Jon Daniels) have done a great job stocking their system. They have depth and I believe are a match. Something ought to be do-able to be worked out between the two clubs.

I'm not totally sold on Gallo. I definitely wanted us to draft him over Haniger. He was a well known draftee at the time. I'm not saying he's bad. But I have questions about his athleticism at 3rd and whether offensively he's essentially Chris Carter. If you look at their prospect list, I might be intrigued by a different package.

As for Princie, I seriously doubt he's complerely lost. More a situation of a huge funk. He doesn't make sense for our rebuild, age-wise, unless it enables us to get a huge return, kind of how the Braves got Touki Touissant by taking on a bad contract.

I've thought forever that the Rangers were the ideal match on Luc. They (Jon Daniels) have done a great job stocking their system. They have depth and I believe are a match. Something ought to be do-able to be worked out between the two clubs.

I'm not totally sold on Gallo. I definitely wanted us to draft him over Haniger. He was a well known draftee at the time. I'm not saying he's bad. But I have questions about his athleticism at 3rd and whether offensively he's essentially Chris Carter. If you look at their prospect list, I might be intrigued by a different package.

As for Princie, I seriously doubt he's complerely lost. More a situation of a huge funk. He doesn't make sense for our rebuild, age-wise, unless it enables us to get a huge return, kind of how the Braves got Touki Touissant by taking on a bad contract.

I think we're in a good position to take a bad contract to maximize our return if necessary.

Prince is actually owed $18M a year every year now through 2020 by the Rangers. A good meeting point might be at us taking on $48M, which is a huge sum to eat but potentially worth the right return. If the Rangers covered his contract the rest of the year and eat $6M a year going forward like the Tigers are doing, that would leave us to pay Prince $12M a year through 2020. That's not hamstringing us and there is always the possibility that Prince would at least start to resemble a respectable hitter again if not a shell of his old self, and then $12M wouldn't look bad at all and could even open the door to deal him again.

Well, like it or not, Lucroy is going to be traded for prospects. And getting the #7 MLB prospect overall and #1 at 3B (a position we're scarce at) and the #31 MLB prospect overall and #7 at RHP (we need as much pitching as we can get) is not a bad start. If taking on a contract that's comparable to the remaining of Braun's contract (which we may be able to clear some of off the payroll in another deal) for a guy who's posted OPS+ of 164, 151, 122, 102, and 124 the past 5 years gets you the right guys, you at least have to consider it. It all depends on if other players are involved and how much of Prince's contract you have to cover, but I think you at least consider it.

Yikes, ya'll are way too in love with prospects, id pass on that deal

I don't think it is as impressive as some think(while picking up lots of money), but I am not the biggest Gallo fan. Then again the experts call him a Top 10 prospect so maybe I just don't appreciate the potential. I just don't see him being more than a .250 hitter, lots of power, and a boatload of K's. I realize he could put it together and be a superstar...but I just don't like the odds.

That being said those experts(and most GMs) probably love him and value him highly which would make that prospect combo an amazing addition to the farm.

I don't think it is as impressive as some think(while picking up lots of money), but I am not the biggest Gallo fan. Then again the experts call him a Top 10 prospect so maybe I just don't appreciate the potential. I just don't see him being more than a .250 hitter, lots of power, and a boatload of K's. I realize he could put it together and be a superstar...but I just don't like the odds.

That being said those experts(and most GMs) probably love him and value him highly which would make that prospect combo an amazing addition to the farm.

That's mainly the reason I don't like this deal, I too am not high on Gallo and Tate is not a deal maker for me, he's struggling a bit in double A

80 million + lucroy for them is a huge overpay imo

We're rebuilding, we kind of have to be. What good is Jonathan Lucroy going to do us in 3 years?

Unless you're just not crazy about Tate or Gallo as prospects.

We're rebuilding, we kind of have to be. What good is Jonathan Lucroy going to do us in 3 years?

Unless you're just not crazy about Tate or Gallo as prospects.

I think he meant the later and he said that in his second post.

I see the potential in Gallo but there's also a decent chance that he ends up like .210/.310/.550 hitter or something. There's also a chance he ends up a .270/.370/.600 hitter and is a multi-time all-star. I just can't shake the feeling that he's going to end up being the former instead of the latter and therefore not the main piece you'd want in a Lucroy trade.

In a trade for the Rangers, I'd be all for Brinson + Tate or Ortiz + lower level arms if Gallo wasn't the center piece. Rangers have a deep farm system. Would love to get 1 really high upside position player + 1 TOR arm and 1-2 lower level arms. I wouldn't need Gallo from Rangers in a trade.

Verified Member

I see the potential in Gallo but there's also a decent chance that he ends up like .210/.310/.550 hitter or something. There's also a chance he ends up a .270/.370/.600 hitter and is a multi-time all-star. I just can't shake the feeling that he's going to end up being the former instead of the latter and therefore not the main piece you'd want in a Lucroy trade.

You wouldn't want six years of an .860 OPS third baseman?

You wouldn't want six years of an .860 OPS third baseman?

A .310 OBP with average defense at best? I mean, it'd be okay but I want to hit a home run on this deal (before anyone says so you do want Gallo) and I'm just terrified that he's only going to be the 2-3 WAR guy instead of the 5-6 WAR guy a lot of people are hoping he'll become.

You all are crazy to give Texas Lucroy+Carter and get back Gallo&Tate to take Fielder off there hands. This deal is missing a top5Rangers prospect aas well at a top 16 Rangers prospect. Or 90million cash. Either or. We've gone from Tate, Matuella, and Ortiz for Lucroy...only to Tate+Gallo? For Lucroy,Carter+Fielders 90mil remaining contract?

I've been kicked in the groin by every one on Texas's 40man to ridiculously accept that trade offer.

The rest of the article is pretty awful as well, basically suggests they can have Braun and Lucroy for Swihart and a few garbage prospects, but I had to start somewhere, so I went with the awful line about declining Lucroy's option.

http://beantownbeattomdarcy.sportsblog.com/posts/18855676/red-sox-trade-rumors--is-a-ryan-braun--jonathan-lucroy-blockbuster-coming-.html

"Boston may decide to turn Lucroy into a rental and decline his option after the season."

(Diet Coke spit take)

Are there any of these writers out there that actually have a clue?

Right? Even if they don't want him in 2017, they can easily trade him for whatever position they want to fill on the major league team or prospects.

We really need a 1B. The Diamondbacks aren't good. So let's give them a trade centered around, oh I don't know, Ramon Flores, for Paul Goldschmidt. So then for prospects, I guess we'll give them, say, Devin Williams and Monte Harrison. Of course they need to take Garza off our hands too to help offset the cost of Goldschmidt.

Sound insane? Of course it is. It is also about the equivalent of what these clueless writers in Boston are proposing.

I'm guessing these same writers would start the bidding at 2 top 25 prospects if they were shopping Ortiz.

didn't want to start a new thread about this- so hopefully it's okay here, but when LuCroy is traded I can only assume that Manny Pina is brought up who has been tearing up AAA for the past year and half and plays excellent D. If so, would you start him over Maldy? heck, for that matter, if it's Josmil Pinto who's brought up, would you start him over Maldy as well?

which brings me to my next question- if the answer to both questions above is yes- then maybe Maldonado may be dealt too. how much is his trade value?

Braun/Lucroy/Peralta for Moncada/Swihart/Castillo?

This came up a few pages ago, but what is the point of adding Wily Peralta in a trade? His value is probably just complete dead weight, but this isn't the NBA..you don't need to "shed" his contract at this stage. If he stinks the rest of the year, you just non-tender him and he costs you $0 beyond this year. As it currently stands, he is negative value, so I don't see a reason to trade him.

Let him have another month or two to try to figure it out or you just cut ties after the season...or deal him for a similar "lost" prospect.

Next, I know I just said I'd consider taking on Sandoval on another thread, but I don't see the idea of taking on Rusney. I realize it's for Boston's salary relief, but I feel like we should be getting more added to the pot (yes, I know that Moncada is possibly the #1 prospect right now). With Sandoval, you might have the 5% chance that he gets in shape and gets you some value. With Rusney, you're just writing out a $50 million check. He's done, he's old (for a prospect), and I doubt he ever does much at the major league level.

Long story short, there is no reason to add Peralta to a trade and I'd want more than the package you list from Boston if we are giving up 2 All Star players on good contracts and taking on $50 million in 99.9% dead money in Rusney.

http://beantownbeattomdarcy.sportsblog.com/posts/18855676/red-sox-trade-rumors--is-a-ryan-braun--jonathan-lucroy-blockbuster-coming-.html

"Boston may decide to turn Lucroy into a rental and decline his option after the season."

(Diet Coke spit take)

Are there any of these writers out there that actually have a clue?

Add this one to the somewhat crazy takes:

http://chowderandchampions.com/2016/05/30/investigating-ryan-braun-to-red-sox/

The Brewers could ask for a combination of: pitcher Henry Owens, outfielder/catcher Blake Swihart (whom I really hope the Sox keep), shortstop Marco Hernandez, outfielder Rusney Castillo, or first baseman Sam Travis.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself by downgrading Owens/Swihart due to uninspiring MLB starts, but I feel like the Brewers would ask for younger prospects. The value of Swihart and Owens have taken a hit, though both are very young so maybe this isn't a terrible return. I don't think Hernandez or Travis project to star players at all, maybe MLB caliber, though.

This was the part I enjoyed, though:

Although Swihart’s traditional offensive numbers have not picked up, his advanced metrics (.333 OBP, 1.000 Fielding %, 0 Errors) are above league average.

The "advanced metrics" of 0 errors and a 1.000 fielding % at positions that are very hard to get errors outside of trying to throw somebody out.

Archived