Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 2)

Verified Member

If they're only going to play him as a 1B, why not just ask for Chris Carter? Granted Carter's defense is subpar, but he might still be a comparable pure 1B to Lucroy.

Mets don't make much sense to me given d'Arnaud's presence.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not crazy about the Mets' depth of prospects. Some of their better prospects have been called up or moved on. I'd prefer Luc go to a franchise with more stacked of a system. Texas, Houston, maybe Nats.

If you look at the major league level, Wheeler is already 26. That seems old for what we are trying to do. He is starting to throw now with an eye toward a July return.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/wheeler-throws-off-slope-of-mound-for-first-time-since-surgery/179807494

In agreement that Mets farm system doesn't have the bullets necessary but Wheeler/d'Arnaud as key pieces is a very nice return if you believe Wheeler returns to his pre TJ form. A rotation of Nelson, a healthy Wheeler and Hader at the top in 2017 would hasten the rebuild considerably and d'Arnaud is a starting caliber catcher, easing the effect of losing Lucroy. All catchers with French surnames can play, can't they?

If they're only going to play him as a 1B, why not just ask for Chris Carter? Granted Carter's defense is subpar, but he might still be a comparable pure 1B to Lucroy.

Mets don't make much sense to me given d'Arnaud's presence.

d'Arnaud is the Ryan Braun of catchers. There's talk of moving him to another position because he can't stay healthy.

I said this, May 18 ...

One team I'd like to throw into the mix is the New York Mets. The Mets are getting nothing from the catcher position this year, and they don't even know when Travis D'Arnaud will be allowed to throw a ball again. They're built around pitching, and that's all good, but their lineup could certainly use a boost.

The Mets have some young guys I'm sure the Brewers would want, but at the moment, they don't have a lot of pitchers among their top prospects, so it may come down to Mr Wheeler again.

The Mets are getting a lot of questions regarding Matt Harvey, offer Lucroy for Harvey straight up.

Absolutely not. This does not set us up for the future at all.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Mets are getting a lot of questions regarding Matt Harvey, offer Lucroy for Harvey straight up.

Didn't you just write this in the Jimmy Nelson thread:

Oh my, if we trade away our only legitimate starting pitcher (yes, I know some of have been better as of late), I quit. How embarrassing. Seriously, how embarrassing would it be that we cannot even keep ONE stinking pitcher worth a darn on our team.

So Jimmy Nelson is needed for the future, but Matt Harvey wouldn't help? I understand the argument that we don't need to give up anything to keep Nelson (other than the missed opportunity of whatever we could get in return in a trade), and we arguably can get a more valuable package in return for Lucroy, but the reasons for having or not having the individual pitchers on the team during the rebuild seems contradictory.

Oh my, if we trade away our only legitimate starting pitcher (yes, I know some of have been better as of late), I quit. How embarrassing. Seriously, how embarrassing would it be that we cannot even keep ONE stinking pitcher worth a darn on our team.

So Jimmy Nelson is needed for the future, but Matt Harvey wouldn't help? I understand the argument that we don't need to give up anything to keep Nelson (other than the missed opportunity of whatever we could get in return in a trade), and we arguably can get a more valuable package in return for Lucroy, but the reasons for having or not having the individual pitchers on the team during the rebuild seems contradictory.

Matt Harvey at the dollar figure he will be at after this year will not be worth it to trade Lucroy for him. That's why. Also, he has been atrocious. So we would take our biggest trade chip and move him for a pitcher that may suck. Yeah, really sets us up for the future. Jimmy Nelson is ours and we control him until the year 2021. Not really comparable.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yeah, Harvey would be very intriguing if we had longer to control him. With him being a FA after 2018 and having Scott Boras for an agent he's just not a great timetable fit for us right now.

That makes very little sense for the Brewers. Not only is Harvey struggling greatly he is only controllable through 2018. Can we compete in 2018? Honestly you would be trading 1.5 years of control of Lucroy for maybe one year of Harvey when we are competing. Assuming we go all in.

I don't really see the point.

I don't really see the point.

There isn't. Harvey just gets people talking because he's a big name.

Matt Harvey at the dollar figure he will be at after this year will not be worth it to trade Lucroy for him. That's why. Also, he has been atrocious. So we would take our biggest trade chip and move him for a pitcher that may suck. Yeah, really sets us up for the future. Jimmy Nelson is ours and we control him until the year 2021. Not really comparable.

Fair enough, makes sense :) I wasn't really advocating Lucroy for Harvey would be better than whatever is actually offered, but I'm definitely not as against trading Nelson as you seem to be. Also didn't realize Harvey was a super 2, that definitely makes it harder to see him as a good fit within the rebuild's timetable. That said, I highly doubt we get an offer for someone who's as likely as Harvey to be a legitimate ace going forward and I think you have to think pretty hard before passing up an opportunity to add someone like that. 53 innings of bad pitching to start one season doesn't wipe out the other 427 innings of his 2.53 ERA, 9.5 K/9, 2.0 BB/9, 1.00 WHIP career for me. All that said, I highly doubt the Mets are actually looking to trade him at this point either.

The Red Sox catchers the last 30 days have been very underwhelming, gotta think Dombrowski would want to strengthen the position going into the trade deadline. Crazy how much offense they've had with so little support from the catchers:

Swihart 231/333/538 - 4 games 0 HR

Vazquez 226/262/355 - 18 games 1 HR

Hanigan 189/231/243 - 12 games 0 HR

I'm pulling for a Lucroy/Reliever trade to bring back Devers and Espinoza + , have to wonder with them being so young and possibly far from the majors that Dombrowski would be willing to sacrifice the future which is easily replenishable for them for a World Series shot these next 2 years.

Boston needs pitching. Maybe Lucroy plus Anderson or Peralta would bring back more. While neither of those guys have been stellar. Anderson has been better as of late and they have already been linked to Peralta.

Newberg and Morris - 2 of the biggest writers on the Rangers scene have been talking back and forth tonight about a thought/rumor in which The Brewers would trade Lucroy and Carter for Tate/Gallo/ and the contract of Fielder, which is a big amount to eat - $110 million bucks thru 2020 - and it should be noted that Prince has been a shadow of himself this year - a .194 average and .555 OPS

Newberg and Morris - 2 of the biggest writers on the Rangers scene have been talking back and forth tonight about a thought/rumor in which The Brewers would trade Lucroy and Carter for Tate/Gallo/ and the contract of Fielder, which is a big amount to eat - $110 million bucks thru 2020 - and it should be noted that Prince has been a shadow of himself this year - a .194 average and .555 OPS

Shocker. Another person in the MLB world that just believes we should just take whatever is given to us and like it. In this case we are lucky enough to get one of our own homegrown back but in doing so we get him as a shell of his former self and ONLY have to pay him just a smidgeon over $100 million. Ridiculous.

I was begging us not to pay Prince that kind of coin. So glad we didn't.

Although this deal is very attractive I'd have to think the Rangers would need to eat a substantial amount. $110M is just too much even for that return.

Still I'd do this deal in a heatbeat, but it's not my money.

Shocker. Another person in the MLB world that just believes we should just take whatever is given to us and like it. In this case we are lucky enough to get one of our own homegrown back but in doing so we get him as a shell of his former self and ONLY have to pay him just a smidgeon over $100 million. Ridiculous.

Tate and Gallo is taking whatever is given to us and liking it? If that's the case, I sure like that. Obviously Prince in this deal is the burden we take on to get such a return.

110M is way too much to eat, but the rest of the deal is a dream scenario.

The Tigers are paying $30m to the Rangers for Fielder from 16-20 so it should only be $90m unless I did my math wrong which is very possible.

Archived