Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 2)

It's cold and rainy in Milwaukee, feels like a good day to play armchair GM. It seems like Texas is one of the most popular landing spots for Lucroy. Would you/do you think both teams would do the following:

Texas receives: Lucroy, Thornburg

Milwaukee receives: Joey Gallo, Michael Matuella

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just noticed Cleveland is drawing 14,589 per game which is amazing with a stadium as nice as theirs.

They need to do something big.

Move

Honestly though their attendence is startling. They are on pace to barely get 1,000,000 to the ballpark. That is really scary and their fans jump ship so quick when the team starts to lose. Outside of their period of success in the 90s their attendance is just plain awful. Unless they string together many winning years attendance is lucky to get over 2mil.

Maybe we should skip the Lucroy trade ideas and move onto Maldonado trade (cut) ideas. Man is that dude worthless to us, we need a backup bad. "But he catches Peralta well" as Peralta gives up another 6. At least he's batting 0.087.

Maybe we should skip the Lucroy trade ideas and move onto Maldonado trade (cut) ideas. Man is that dude worthless to us, we need a backup bad. "But he catches Peralta well" as Peralta gives up another 6. At least he's batting 0.087.

I've been on board with moving on from Maldonado for at least a year now. He's got an amazing arm and that's about it. His bat belongs no where near an MLB team.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Martin Maldonado has 23 at-bats on the year. He hardly plays what exactly do you expect someone who hardly ever plays? Everyone tries to defend Walsh and he has 3x the amount of playing time as Maldonado. Also Maldonado has 7 walks to 5 strikeouts. Anyone else does that and we would be applauding them.

And the reason he is still on the team has nothing to do with Peralta. It is the fact we have nothing better. The reason he catches Peralta is to give Lucroy an off day. Lucroy can't play every day and since Maldonado/Peralta like eachother why not do it that day?

Interesting fact. Due to his defense he has actually provided a 0.4 WAR so far this year despite no playing time.

Hes our version of a Hockey goon. When you're facing someone like Travis Snider and they start acting up that's when you're happy you have someone like Martin Maldonado around. He's got the strongest right arm (or right hook) in the game.

@WiscoSportsNut

I've been on board with moving on from Maldonado for at least a year now. He's got an amazing arm and that's about it. His bat belongs no where near an MLB team.

He gets sparse at bats and games played. At least look at the times when he has had consistent playing time. The first time Lucroy was hurt Maldy was above average for a catcher at batting, last year he did not do so well when Lucroy was out. I still think when we trade away Lucroy, Maldy will come out looking just below average for catchers at batting and has one of the best arms in the game.

Actually, I think Maldy will still be the back-up if Lucroy is traded. Pina and Pinto are both hitting better than Maldy. I think either would hit better than Maldy at the MBL level. I'm sure Maldy would get more starts, but I don't think he will ever be a regular starter for the Brewers or anybody.

Pina to me is of no interest. He is hitting well, but then again he has had AAA experience for 6 years and is nearly 30. Pinto is somewhat interesting, but from what I can see his defense isn't the greatest. In a lost year I would rather start Maldonado for his defense and having experience with the pitchers. His offense can't negatively effect anything, but a bad defensive catcher can hurt our pitchers.

It just seems to me that the Rangers are the perfect trade partner with us for Lucroy. They have a huge need at catcher, and they have plenty of good prospects to choose from in their system. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to sweetening the deal with them by adding in one of our late-inning bullpen arms to get a little bit more back in the deal. How about:

Rangers get: Lucroy & either Jeffress/Smith (if he proves healthy when he returns)

Brewers get: Gallo, Dillon Tate & Matuella (if he comes back and proves he's healthy before the end of July)

I know there are some questions about Gallo and if he'll ever hit consistently at the big league level, but he certainly could provide a lot of pop and excitement to the lineup. Can he stick at 3B long term?

Matuella is also a big question mark coming off the arm surgery, but would seem to have big upside if he proves that the arm is healthy and his stuff hasn't dropped off much.

Is this a realistic deal?

I just think that the Rangers have to be getting desperate for a World Series title now after coming close a few years ago and with their window starting to close now. This deal would help their offensive and pitching tremendously with Lucroy in the lineup and behind the plate, and would also help a weakness in their bullpen.

In my opinion, Texas just doesn't want to meet the price for Lucroy. I think they know what he is, and they know that they need him, but they just don't seem to be in love in this case.

I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

I like Boston as a trade partner, but the way they're scoring runs, they may decide to spend prospects on pitching.

I like Washington, they have a need, even with Wilson Ramos hitting well so far this season, but if the Brewers stick to a demand for pitching in a Lucroy deal, you inevitably come to Lucas Giolito, and my guess there is that he can't be had.

One team I'd like to throw into the mix is the New York Mets. The Mets are getting nothing from the catcher position this year, and they don't even know when Travis D'Arnaud will be allowed to throw a ball again. They're built around pitching, and that's all good, but their lineup could certainly use a boost.

The Mets have some young guys I'm sure the Brewers would want, but at the moment, they don't have a lot of pitchers among their top prospects, so it may come down to Mr Wheeler again.

I know the Rangers weren't willing to pay the price for Lucroy in the offseason, but there was also a lot of concern back then about Luc's health and of course his decrease in production last year. Now that he's healthy, and proving that he's one of the two or three best catchers in all of baseball, I would have to think that they'd have more interest in him? And, I'd also have to think that their desperation level would only increase as the next two months go by here if they continue to get nothing out of the catching position and if their pen continues to blow late leads. I'm definitely hopeful that the Rangers step up to the plate in July and offer up a really good deal for Luc - provided that he stays healthy and continues to produce the way he has thus far.

I wouldn't say the Rangers are getting nothing out of the catching position, the past 30 days:

Wilson 290/353/484 - 31 AB's

Holady 257/333/457 - 35 AB's

Nicholas 250/333/625 - 24 AB's

That's without their "starter" in Chirinos sniffing the field who's coming back in a few weeks.

If I had to pick a team to deal him to, I also think the Rangers would be tops on my list, but they are far from desperate at this point.

Community Moderator
It just seems to me that the Rangers are the perfect trade partner with us for Lucroy. They have a huge need at catcher, and they have plenty of good prospects to choose from in their system.

This TWEET from a couple of days ago slightly tempered my optimism regarding a trade with Texas...

Updated #Rangers catchers ranks in AL this year

BA: 2nd (.260)

OBP: 3rd (.329)

SLG: 1st (.488)

OPS: 2nd (.817)

HR: T-2nd (6)

RBI: 2nd (23)

Although I guess another way to look at it is as an illustration of how low the bar is for offensive production among catchers. Lucroy would provide a significant offensive boost at the position for most teams.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I really think this season needs to play out further to see where the demand for catchers will be come early-mid July. This will be a big tell as to where and how much we can get for Lucroy. If we trade him at all...
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member
Looks like Jurickson Profar might have a little cameo while Odor is suspended. Give me a Lucroy for Profar and two of Ariel Jurado/Ronald Guzman/Pedro Payano trade by the end of June.

Pina to me is of no interest. He is hitting well, but then again he has had AAA experience for 6 years and is nearly 30.

Nearly 30? He's 28. Improves offensively every year, and is now a terrific AAA hitter. He's always been good defensively.

Catchers are often late bloomers offensively, because they get so fewer at-bats each year than players at other positions. Pina is becoming a solid candidate to hold the catching spot warm until Nottingham is ready. Pina could be a Latin version of Damien Miller.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Nearly 30? He's 28.

He's almost two months older than I am and I would consider myself nearly 30. Not sure what's so controversial about that statement. He'll be 29 in a couple of weeks.

Improves offensively every year, and is now a terrific AAA hitter. He's always been good defensively.

Catchers are often late bloomers offensively, because they get so fewer at-bats each year than players at other positions. Pina is becoming a solid candidate to hold the catching spot warm until Nottingham is ready. Pina could be a Latin version of Damien Miller.

Most catchers aren't 29 year olds in AAA with less than 20 major league plate appearances. I'd be shocked if he came up and was anything but horrible with the bat. That's fine because he'll be a backup and we don't need him to be good while we're obviously rebuilding.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It better include a pitcher.

Mets minor league pitching isn't very good. Their top guy on the MLB pipeline is Marcos Molina - ranked #8 for the Mets. I liked the guy - until he had TJ surgery this past off season.

Their top pitchers (Matz, Syndergaard) have graduated to the majors in the last year or so. Unless Milwaukee is still interested in Wheeler, I don't see a fit unless you can get a third team involved.

Archived