Brewer Fanatic

Sean Nolin… how's his velocity this spring?

BrewersAA
The guy has been pretty impressive so far this spring. He's vying for the pen on this team but was previously a career starter and one time top 100 prospect. From the reports that I read I gathered that what derailed his assention was an injury then a major drop in velocity from the low 90s into the mid 80s. So.... my question is, has anybody heard anything on what hes throwing so far this spring? if hes gained some velocity back i wonder if hes a potential player for the rotation if someone goes down or if Garza goes back to career averages and becomes tradable. If anyone has info that would be much appreciated!

I don't know the velocity, but I saw one of the televised games in which he pitched, and he looked dominant. Definitely glad Stearns picked him up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

He has been pretty effective as a starter in the minors. He's likely to be the only 2016 return on the Davis trade even though he was only indirectly involved.

Sooner or later the Brewers are going to start a lefty. Don't know the record for consecutive games starting a RHP, but I'm sure the Brewers have it, not having started a lefty since 2013 (Gorzelanny). That's 354 games and counting. My guess is Nolin's performance in Arizona isn't great news for Capuano. I doubt they'd keep both. It would be great to have a lefty long man though in today's game, you rarely see managers pull starters before the 4th or 5th innings even if they are getting hammered. But my money is still on Davies as Garza's replacement if he's traded or released. Could see a spot start though for Nolin and who knows? If the rotation falls apart, a lot of guys will get looks, Nolin included.

but I'm sure the Brewers have it, not having started a lefty since 2013 (Gorzelanny). That's 354 games and counting

That's pretty crazy, but Hader isn't too far off, and hopefully he and Mederios can man two rotation spots for a long time.

As to Nolin, I doubt he'd get any starts, but rather would be a solid MR. If Smith is traded, he will then hopefully be able to take over his role, which has a lot of value.

He's likely to be the only 2016 return on the Davis trade even though he was only indirectly involved.

I assume you mean the only return that will be on the MLB roster, as Nottingham is certainly looking like a solid 2016 return. The Brewers have said he will remain at catcher, setting him up to be ready to potentially take over the MLB spot a few months into next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

He has been pretty effective as a starter in the minors. He's likely to be the only 2016 return on the Davis trade even though he was only indirectly involved.

Sooner or later the Brewers are going to start a lefty. Don't know the record for consecutive games starting a RHP, but I'm sure the Brewers have it, not having started a lefty since 2013 (Gorzelanny). That's 354 games and counting. My guess is Nolin's performance in Arizona isn't great news for Capuano. I doubt they'd keep both. It would be great to have a lefty long man though in today's game, you rarely see managers pull starters before the 4th or 5th innings even if they are getting hammered. But my money is still on Davies as Garza's replacement if he's traded or released. Could see a spot start though for Nolin and who knows? If the rotation falls apart, a lot of guys will get looks, Nolin included.

I like the idea of finding a couple of spot starts for him, assuming he's stretched out enough to do it. Even if the rotation doesn't fall apart, guys will have minor injuries and, if we're unfortunate, major ones. Also, I don't think we have a single pitcher who's so well-established as a MLB starter that we can be sure he won't pitch himself out of the rotation.

Archived