Brewer Fanatic

Ruben Tejada?

Mets waived Ruben Tejada yesterday. If Villar continues to struggle, wouldn't Tejada be a better stopgap SS option? It's not like he's old (26), and he does have a career OBP of .330. I realize Tejada never was in Houston, so chances are Stearns has zero interest but one would think if Tejada performed reasonably well, he might have some trade value down the line.

Mets waived Ruben Tejada yesterday. If Villar continues to struggle, wouldn't Tejada be a better stopgap SS option? It's not like he's old (26), and he does have a career OBP of .330. I realize Tejada never was in Houston, so chances are Stearns has zero interest but one would think if Tejada performed reasonably well, he might have some trade value down the line.

Really? You really think Stearns only has interest in people that have played for Houston? Come on man, be better than this.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

•ESPN.com’s Mark Saxon looks at the Cardinals’ decision on shortstop Ruben Tejada, whom the Mets just placed on waivers. It appears that St. Louis is more likely to make a play for Tejada if he clears waivers than it is to claim him, though, Jon Heyman of MLB Network tweets.

Kind of surprising he was released. The Mets are surely better than us right now, but Tejada didn't seem to hit poorly for a SS. Would've been an upgrade on Segura. But I seem to remember that his defense was horrid... am I wrong?

Either way, I'm guessing the Brewers would rather see what they have in Villar than pull in Tejada.

Of course the Brewer's should claim him. He has every chance to bounce back to be at least an average SS at the same cost as Carter, and his defense would be miles better than Vilalr's. And if the Cardinals don't get a needed piece for free, so much the better.

Tejada has been abysmal, at least Carter displays elite power at times. No thank you.

"If Villar continues to struggle."

How many games have we played again? Zero.

How has Tejada been abysmal? He has a career wRC+ of 86 which is good for a SS and a 95 last season. He's only 26.

What's the purpose of adding Tejada? He's controlled for 2yrs vs 5yrs for Villar. He would only be here for this season and won't be a trade chip by the break. He won't be an option at 2b or 3b long-term either. Villar is more versatile in the field, is a switch hitter, has more/better tools (power and speed) and is younger; if he performs reasonably he can either be traded or he becomes a very good utility player off the bench when the youngsters are up. As it stands this moment, you're looking at Arcia/Rivera up the middle moving forward and Villar would be a good guy to back them up.

Tejada has been abysmal, at least Carter displays elite power at times. No thank you.

"If Villar continues to struggle."

How many games have we played again? Zero.

How has Tejada been abysmal? He has a career wRC+ of 86 which is good for a SS and a 95 last season. He's only 26.

He's so good that the Mets waited around 5 years for him to become something and fill their black hole at SS before succumbing to Asdrubal Cabrera in free agency. (Despite Cabrera might end up on the DL to start the year and they have nobody of note to play SS).

I'll take the guy with speed and 5 years of control whose younger. Most likely he will end up being similar to what Tejada is now, except there's a bit more upside on the basepaths.

I've closed this topic since we have a done deal. Feel free to start a topic in Major Leagues if you'd like to continue this discussion or talk about Tejada signing.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived