Brewer Fanatic

Randy Wolf Retires

jjkoestler

When does he go into the Brewers Hall of Fame. I'm not kidding. The requirements are such a joke he has to get in right?

You mean the Walk of Fame? That gives notice to people that gave a decent amount of their time to the organization? Jeez....why so harsh?

And to answer your question I am pretty sure he is not eligible.

Always loved Randy. Got us to the playoffs and had a darn good 2011. Threw ridiculously slow curve balls.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

When does he go into the Brewers Hall of Fame. I'm not kidding. The requirements are such a joke he has to get in right?

You mean the Walk of Fame? That gives notice to people that gave a decent amount of their time to the organization? Jeez....why so harsh?

And to answer your question I am pretty sure he is not eligible.

The Brewers have multiple avenues for honoring team personnel.

Walk of Fame honorees get a granite "home plate" on the sidewalk outside Miller Park. That group is made up of pretty big Brewers and Milwaukee Braves names. Randy won't be joining them.

Wall of Honor honorees get a metal plaque on the exterior wall of Miller Park near the Friday's/3B entrance. The Wall of Honor accommodates not only greatness but also longevity as a Brewer. The criteria for pitchers are 1000+ innings pitched or 50 appearances as a pitcher.

Randy's made enough appearances to qualify for this, hasn't he? Then again, so has Jeff Suppan, and having the Soup on a wall or walk of Brewers distinction seems all kinds of wrong.

The real tragedy here is that with Randy Wolf retiring, Wolfottaras is no longer possible. :tired Welp, thanks for playing.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I thought well of his time here. I think he was unfairly compared to Suppan and that kind of overshadowed the fact he was pretty decent pitcher for us those first couple seasons. His last season sucked but that could be said of a lot of players.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Played one year too many for the Crew. Really wanted to trade him that one off season but Melvin had to keep him around for some reason.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I legitimately had no idea he was still bounding around the majors. Wow, 2011 seems like ages ago.

I was on a business trip to Detroit last year and watched a Tiger's game in a restaurant where they started Wolf. I was legitimately shocked that he was still pitching and that Detroit would have him start (hey, lefty RPs have a LONG life).

Not surprisingly, it was a BP-fest for the other team. The shock of seeing him start must have been evident on my face because another patron of the restaurant patted me on the shoulder as he left and tried to encourage me for next year. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I was a Brewer fan and was stunned that Detroit couldn't figure out in 2015 what we had figured out 4 years prior. :laughing

Played one year too many for the Crew. Really wanted to trade him that one off season but Melvin had to keep him around for some reason.

Maybe because we still had a good team that could compete?

I'm not one to normally play woulda, coulda, shoulda but everything about his 2011 screamed regression in 2012. I don't know what they could have gotten for him but I've always been of the opinion that it's better to trade a guy a year too early than a year too late. Obviously they thought they had a contender in 2012 (and they did) but he was also a 4th starter not an ace of any kind. In my humble opinion, the risk of keeping him was greater than the risk of replacing him with someone else.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He worked hard and competed for the Brewers which is something I will always appreciate. My biggest memory of Wolf though, is him giving Lucroy a hard time, seemingly in public, and needing his own personal veteran catcher. That was kinda strange, kinda diva-like behavior for an average to below average MLB starter.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

What is crazy to think is that in 2011, Wolf threw 40 more innings and had a better overall ERA thank Grienke. Obviously Grienke's peripherals were better, but I found that hard to believe. They were both pretty awful in the postseason, but Wolf did have the one dominant start against the Cards as well.

am I the only who read this and immediately thought "Randy Wolf was still playing??!"

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

am I the only who read this and immediately thought "Randy Wolf was still playing??!"

No.

I legitimately had no idea he was still bounding around the majors. Wow, 2011 seems like ages ago.

I was on a business trip to Detroit last year and watched a Tiger's game in a restaurant where they started Wolf. I was legitimately shocked that he was still pitching and that Detroit would have him start (hey, lefty RPs have a LONG life).

Not surprisingly, it was a BP-fest for the other team. The shock of seeing him start must have been evident on my face because another patron of the restaurant patted me on the shoulder as he left and tried to encourage me for next year. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I was a Brewer fan and was stunned that Detroit couldn't figure out in 2015 what we had figured out 4 years prior. :laughing

Archived