Brewer Fanatic

Brewers invite Franklin Morales to camp

StearnsFTW
I like this move. Cappy is a great veteran, and more effective than the never-really-good Morales

Really? Capuano is coming off a year where he posted a 7.97 ERA and has a very mediocre career 4.39 ERA and has almost no experience out of the pen. While we're at it, why not bring Lohse back? Morales isn't great by any means, but he's been a useful member of the bullpen on 4 different teams that went to the postseason.

Hey it's not going to be a decision that'll come back to haunt them either way. But there are better lefty bullpen arms on the street right now than Capuano.

As Doug Melvin loved to say, statistics for a reliever fluctuate day-to-day. Cappy still has decent stuff, a slightly funky delivery, and is a great mentor. I'd bet on him having decent stats over Morales.

I guess if someone with diminished skills is going to make the team based on veteran leadership, I'd rather it be the "long man" in the pen making relatively little money, instead of someone taking up a starting spot with a big paycheck. He can't hurt the team nearly as much as someone like Lohse, Garza, Aramis, Looper, Suppan, Hill, etc.

I just hope that Counsell's personal relationship with Capuano doesn't make him hesitant to cut ties when a better option arises.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I like this move. Cappy is a great veteran, and more effective than the never-really-good Morales

I guess you missed what he did in New York last year...and it wasn't all a product of their park. 10 era on the road and a .360 BA

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not all that upset about not having Morales. He had pedestrian K/9 numbers the last 2 years, and he's had a few good years scattered around a bunch of mediocre and a few really bad years. He's at best a decent lefty with not a lot of real upside. The head scratcher is keeping Capuano. He's been bad for 3 years, and was extra bad last year. I hate the "he's a good teammate/extra coach" reasoning. Isn't that what the actual coaches are for? To be the coaches?

I just feel like this move has the feel of "nostalgia" on it, and I really hope that nostalgia doesn't have any bearing at all into the roster making decisions are made with this new regime. I didn't think Stearns had that in him, so I kind of want to give him the benefit of the doubt.... but that's just what this feels like given the situation.

Cappy's gone once Jones or Barriors is healthy and Boyer right after that. I would agree that Morales would make a little more sense to keep but for a mop up guy on a team that's going no where you might as well make it someone who's expendable and has no future with the organization to make cutting him that much easier of a decision.

Cappy's gone once Jones or Barriors is healthy and Boyer right after that. I would agree that Morales would make a little more sense to keep but for a mop up guy on a team that's going no where you might as well make it someone who's expendable and has no future with the organization to make cutting him that much easier of a decision.

...and that you will not be committed to paying $2-3MM even after you cut him. Since this player is only expected to be with the team short term, I'm sure the guaranteed money has more to do with the decision to keep Capuano over Morales than who is actually the better player at this point in time.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived