Brewer Fanatic

The Great Hank the Dog Conspiracy (Latest: dental records and microchip evidence indicate that Hank is alive and well)

Bikeage77

I haven't seen this anywhere else on the boards, and if this belongs in Off Topic, then by all means move it.

As I'm sure you have read by now Brew Crew Ball has a theory that the original Hank the Dog has been replaced.

Tomorrow (Friday) the Brewers are holding a press conference about it.

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/03/03/166077336/brewers-announce-hank-the-ballpark-pup-conference

This is kinda surreal, but I guess not surprising since old ladies and kids NEED to know the truth. Anyway, chime in, don't, whatever.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has to be the dumbest story of the year.

Homeless Hank vs. Pampered Hank.

It reminds me of the Blink 182 video for "The Rock Show." You know, the one where they replaced a homeless guy with someone well groomed and well dressed? NOT THE SAME GUY!!!! ;)

It isn't shocking, but they should have come clean if then original truly did die or was replaced...

I just wish they'd put this Hank charade to rest and let the little mutt ride off into the sunset.

NO MORE HANK THE DOG BOBBLEHEADS!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the story is that a blogger broke news, embarrassed the team a bit, and probably won't get a credential to cover the team.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hank needs to just go away. It was a great diversion during the Ryan Braun saga...but it's really been played out now. Unfortunately that won't happen because its drawn tons of female fans (let's be real they hold the checkbooks...) and it's generating them money via Hank branded merchandise
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Community Moderator
This story is pure gold. I feel bad if the dog died, but the cover-up was fantastic. The PR team must have been patting themselves on the back for the averted disaster.

You know, as soon as (let's call him) Suburban Hank made an appearance later in 2014, I thought right away, "whoa, grooming!" I haven't shared a home with a dog since high school, but I'm open to the idea that professional grooming can make that much of a difference. Hank's diet no doubt improved substantially once he joined the Wronski family. Even if the Brewers aren't paying for any of Hank's upkeep, his family can likely afford to treat him well. So I lean toward Street Hank and Suburban Hank being the same dog.

Having said that, a few things have planted a seed of doubt in my mind:

- The pair of photos in the BCB column which show Street Hank and Suburban Hank in a dugout next to a red phone. Besides looking whiter and fluffier, Suburban Hank looks like he has a bigger frame. You don't get bigger bones through grooming and diet. I realize it could be just the angle of the photos, but that pair of photos gave me the most pause. (Not paws.)

- Let's say Street Hank DID meet an untimely end sometime in 2014. If you were the Brewers, would you announce it right then? I mean that seriously. The on-field performance was already a slow-motion train wreck by then, leaving Hank as one of the bright spots. At that point, bad news about Hank would not only have been a distressingly apt metaphor for the 2014 Brewers' overall fortunes - it would have driven away the Hankhead portion of the fan base. They're kind of weird (I don't mean people who like dogs are weird, but people who suddenly decided to come to games solely because the Brewers had a dog? Kind of weird)...but their money counts just as much.

If Suburban Hank really is a separate dog from Street Hank, I can understand why the Brewers didn't want to bring that particular revenue stream to a screeching (and frankly depressing) halt.

I have to admit, just from a PR standpoint, I'll be interested to see what on earth they have to say on Friday, even if there are way too many "pup culture" references.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Having said that, a few things have planted a seed of doubt in my mind:

- The pair of photos in the BCB column which show Street Hank and Suburban Hank in a dugout next to a red phone. Besides looking whiter and fluffier, Suburban Hank looks like he has a bigger frame. You don't get bigger bones through grooming and diet. I realize it could be just the angle of the photos, but that pair of photos gave me the most pause. (Not paws.)

Agreed. I dog can grow obviously, but if I remember right Hank was at least a couple years old...past growing stage.

Another problem Hank was a mix...likely why he has a smaller build. The recent dog looks like a full fledged Bichon, at least more like one.

I think the story is that a blogger broke news, embarrassed the team a bit, and probably won't get a credential to cover the team.

The Brew Crew Ball "article'' was satire.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Maybe it's an orchestrated PR stunt and there will be Hank garden gnomes around the city...

I'm guessing this press conference will be used to shill more unwanted Hank merch as well.

It is just a satirical article to fill up space during spring training and too many people believed it to be true and started to believe Hank is dead. I doubt Hank is dead but there is likely multiple Hanks for promotional purposes.

Archived