Brewer Fanatic

2016 Spring Training Games Thread

1992casey
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Undefeated after 4 games. Finally we can put all that ridiculous "tanking" talk to rest!

I actually attended yesterdays game in Mesa versus the A's. They actually looked the best I've seen them in at least 2 years.

Whole bunch of real hungry guys fighting for open spots. Andy Wilkins looks good, Keon Broxton showed good discipline, Arcia looks good, Cecchini looked good, Nelson looked good etc.

Undefeated after 4 games. Finally we can put all that ridiculous "tanking" talk to rest!

I actually attended yesterdays game in Mesa versus the A's. They actually looked the best I've seen them in at least 2 years.

Whole bunch of real hungry guys fighting for open spots. Andy Wilkins looks good, Keon Broxton showed good discipline, Arcia looks good, Cecchini looked good, Nelson looked good etc.

Yadiel Rivera also looks like he's put on some serious wieght and has hit two homers in two days. Go figure.

After the first week what players have lookrd good.

Andy Wilkins is tearing it up.

Lucroy has looked healthy, he's 3 for 8 with two doubles.

Alex Presley has already hit two homeruns.

Yadiel Rivera looks big and has hit two ninth inning go ahead home runs in two games.

Chris Carter has already hit two homers.

Chase Anderson, Wily Peralta, Zach Davies, Jimmy Nelson and Matt Garza have all looked fine.

Only two pitchers who have looked bad are Hiram Burgos and Michael Blazek.

After the first week what players have lookrd good.

I've been able to catch four games. Here are my quick observations:

-Wilkins has a really nice swing path through the zone. I'm not sure what kept him from excelling in the majors previously, but he looks like a definite option if Carter were to go down with an injury or underperform. On the other hand, Carter loves to drop his back shoulder to try and elevate the ball. He's massive, so any over execution to lift the ball seems unnecessary.

-Broxton and Yadiel Rivera have very similar body types and abilities. Both are tall, wiry, long striders, that are surprisingly fast out of the box. They struggle with pitch recognition, though. Their swings are long, which makes it difficult to barrel up a ball when they get deep into counts.

-Jaye Chapman employs a Papelbon-esque dangling of the right arm before coming up in an exaggerated crouch in the stretch. His velocity looks good and he throws a cutter or front door slider that lefties have a hard time laying off of. Very slow, methodical. With. Every. Pitch.

-Flores has a good approach at the plate. Sees the ball well and works deep into counts. Compact, line drive swing which won't produce many homers, but he has good enough speed to leg out singles into doubles. He's played some centerfield as well and has looked pretty good.

-I only saw Nolin for an inning, but I didn't see anything overly impressive. Clean delivery, over the top, velocity looked decent but not spectacular.

-Pinto has made a couple nice plays at first so far and he appears to be a very likable player. He likes to razz the other players and is always smiling. He just seems like the goofy clubhouse guy that everyone gets along with. As far as hitting, he's been a little too selective, passing on called third strikes and taking pitches he should have been offering at.

-Reed has also looked at a few called third strikes in full count situations. He's had some bad luck, too. A couple outs would have been doubles if not for great defensive plays.

I'll be at the game today, so any questions or requests, please let me know.

Wilkins is a career minor leaguer who got a 17 game trial with the White Sox a couple years ago in which he fanned 22 times in 43 AB's. His chances of making the opening day roster are slim and none and a couple HR in the first few preseason games isn't going to change that although the fact he's a LH hitter with some power on a roster devoid of that makes does make him stand out some. I would expect him to put up some big numbers in Colorado Springs in DH/1B role and who knows, that might earn him some big league time at some point. He does share the same birthday as Rickie Weeks and a frequent poster on here!

Anderson is getting crushed. Even the outs are loud. Rollins just went oppo. 1.2 ip, 7 runs given up, Goforth coming in now. Anderson left way too many pitches in the middle of the zone and paid for it hard.

Edit: And Goforth promptly gives up a bomb after a single (Reed error led to runner advancing).

I attended a handful of games over the past week before flying out yesterday after catching that game. As far as the OF goes Santana obviously looks really good. Flores is the next best OF I think. Very good approach and understands the zone; will hit line to line and has some pop. His speed appears to be average, which would be a concern in CF if a regular there this year. He also played some 1b and seems to be serviceable there. Liriano is struggling at the plate and absolutely shouldn't play CF; he has to be slower than Flores. Solid enough arms from both those guys though. Broxton looks pretty solid. I think he should start in CF, at this point, as his defense there is plenty good. Offensively he'll be average but he has some tools though - speed, solid arm, good defender, some pop but he's not going to kill it. Kirk shouldn't make this team. You know exactly what you'll be getting with him; he won't pleasantly surprise you. EY has played well and I could see him being a 5th OF but I just don't see them keeping him over Flores/Broxton given age. Liriano I could see them keeping for a bat off the bench and sub in a corner spot.

Moving to the IF. Hill is like Kirk, you know exactly what you're getting from him at this point. Looks solid defensively at 3b and should be ok offensively. I feel like hit bat is too long and heavy for his size. Just looks like it slows his swing speed down. Villar looks good at time and not good at other times. His contact isn't consistent and he should be batting 7-8 in lineup. Rivera has played well; looks very sharp defensively and offensively has continued to develop after last year. He's playing as if he should have a spot but if he's not going to get a good majority of ABs then there's no point in stunting his development in a platoon role when he can play every day at AAA seeing as how last year was when things started to click for him. Walsh, like Flores, understands the zone and has strong plate discipline. He made a great play at 3b in one game but has kicked a couple thus far too. I like him and think he should be on this team. Carter you know what you're getting. Wilkins has looked strong at the plate and seems serviceable at 1b as well; better than Carter. It'll be interesting to see what happens to him at the end of spring if he continues to play well. Lucroy has looked really good and in top form. Maldy's been solid (for him).

Just based on yesterday's game, there's a gap between Chase and Davies. Davies is a more polished pitcher. He pounds the zone. Their hitters looked foolish at times whereas against Chase they were barreling up. Davies should make the rotation but if they put him in AAA to come up with Lopez, Hader or earlier due to an injury/trade I understand that move. But Davies is absolutely a solid big league SP.

Walsh reminds me a little of Casey McGehee in terms of a late developer who can give you some solid production in his peak years. Considering that he is 26 years old, I think he's got some real potential over the next several years to help the Brewers. Gotta love his .302/.447 output in AA last year
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Yadiel Rivera is making a very serious play at being the Brewers second baseman of the future, or at least until Isan Diaz is ready.

Rivera is actually showing some serious power. In 24 spring at bats he has hit two homers and yesterday hit a ball out near the centerfield monster for a triple.

I think he goes to Colorado Springs this year to get some more confidence and experience. He really struggled there last year and posted a .238 BA and .266 OBP. If he can put on another 15 lbs. I think he could display Matt Carpenter type numbers.

Yadiel Rivera is making a very serious play at being the Brewers second baseman of the future, or at least until Isan Diaz is ready.

Rivera is actually showing some serious power. In 24 spring at bats he has hit two homers and yesterday hit a ball out near the centerfield monster for a triple.

I think he goes to Colorado Springs this year to get some more confidence and experience. He really struggled there last year and posted a .238 BA and .266 OBP. If he can put on another 15 lbs. I think he could display Daniel Descalso type numbers.

Total agree he's having a nice spring but one word of caution on the power , in the Arizona spring most everyone has a power boost.

I think he goes to Colorado Springs this year to get some more confidence and experience. He really struggled there last year and posted a .238 BA and .266 OBP. If he can put on another 15 lbs. I think he could display Daniel Descalso type numbers.

Total agree he's having a nice spring but one word of caution on the power , in the Arizona spring most everyone has a power boost.

You are very correct. That said, he hit 1 home run in 290 at bats in Colorado Springs in 2015. I would venture to say that Colorado Springs is more of launching pad than Arizona.

Frankly, the two games I have watched Rivera this spring, he has reminded me ab bit of JJ Hardy. Gangly looking guy, but a sweet swing with a surprising amount of pop.

…in the Arizona spring most everyone has a power boost.

That and breaking balls don't break.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Hader very impressive tonight against mostly regulars in Arizona lineup. The kid has top of the rotation stuff. Like with Davies it's going to be tough to keep him down in AAA if starters in Milwaukee aren't at least average. By the way, Scooter with 2 hits off Patrick Corbin tonight.

According to Jeff Levering, Rockies shortstop Cristhian Adames was charged with an error for "pulling the foot off Casteel." :)

Actually, Ryan Casteel's foot was pulled off the bag.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I would really like it if the Brewers would just go make this Spring Training uniform (or some variety of it) their permanent setup. Go back to the classic logo with the current color scheme (though I like the old blue and yellow) and cursive across the chest. I don't mind the current italicized "M" logo, but the ball-and-glove is arguably the GOAT sports logo and the ST unis look so good.

I'm still mad that they went away from the old logo, especially to the travesty that was the Notre Dame MB and color scheme. There was no reason to do that at all except to try to capitalize on selling retro gear. It's just so ludicrous that they ditched the best logo in the history of the game for a bunch of crap. The current stuff is nice, but nothing special.

I would really like it if the Brewers would just go make this Spring Training uniform (or some variety of it) their permanent setup. Go back to the classic logo with the current color scheme (though I like the old blue and yellow) and cursive across the chest. I don't mind the current italicized "M" logo, but the ball-and-glove is arguably the GOAT sports logo and the ST unis look so good.

Absolutely. I agree 100%. I have never bought a hat at the club store but I ended up getting one with this new logo when I went to Friday's last week. Love it.

Of course I say that a few weeks after buying my first Brewers hat with the current logo, since my kid is on the little league Brewers and they have those caps. I wanted to match.

We play "Brewers Keep Turnin' Up the Heat" in the car on the way to his games. :)

Anderson is no ground ball pitcher. Can't believe they would acquire him and move Davies to AAA. He has been horrible, makes me think Arizona knew something. The amazing thing about the trade is the Brewers actually thought they got a steal of a deal. Bring Wagner back!

Archived