Brewer Fanatic

Pitching Rotation

MVP2110
After today's announcement of Jungmann getting the opening spring start and Anderson/Davies getting the next day in the split squad, that would currently lineup Jungmann as the 3 and Anderson as the 4 if I'm doing my math right. Whoever starts against the A's would lineup to start Opening day. Granted all of this could change

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After today's announcement of Jungmann getting the opening spring start and Anderson/Davies getting the next day in the split squad, that would currently lineup Jungmann as the 3 and Anderson as the 4 if I'm doing my math right. Whoever starts against the A's would lineup to start Opening day. Granted all of this could change

This. Not even worth trying to figure out the regular season order at this point.

This. Not even worth trying to figure out the regular season order at this point.

The only reason I brought it up, was RRR always had a habit of telegraphing his rotations even if he wouldn't name them

Even if they make it through ST without any injuries or trades, I honestly don't care what order they fall in the rotation. We know who the 5 are as of today, and if Garza is #1 or #5, really doesn't make any difference. (Not directed at you MVP, I'm just speaking for myself.)

Even if they make it through ST without any injuries or trades, I honestly don't care what order they fall in the rotation. We know who the 5 are as of today, and if Garza is #1 or #5, really doesn't make any difference. (Not directed at you MVP, I'm just speaking for myself.)

Who are the 5 because I count 6 in the running.

Garza

Anderson

Nelson

Peralta

Jungmann

Davies

If you can pull anything from this, it's probably the fact they've decided to pitch Anderson and Davies on the same day, which probably confirms the plan is to start Davies in AAA, unless Anderson is flipped by opening day.

Peralta

Nelson

Garza

Andersen

Davies

Peralta will pitch the opener...... No reason to burden Nelson with the Ace label yet. Peralta could use the encouragement and boost of confidence, as well. Garza pitches #3 because of his contract. Quite possibly, he might throw another hissy fit if he is slotted below #3. Andersen will get a shot because he was decent last season. I am not sold on Jungmann yet, and Davies might be the best polished pitcher in the whole system.

Verified Member

1 ) Matt Garza - Agree or disagree it don't mather. They always choice experience over youth for the top spot and Garza is the only starter the brewers have with any real experience.

2 ) Wily Peralta - He has had more success in the majors then any of the other choices and he is closest to what should be his prime season.

3 ) Jimmy Nelson -He's a guy that hasn't had much success yet but could have a breakout season and it's a good spot for him.

4 ) Chase Anderson - He's nothing exciting but they clearly got him to start

5 ) Zach Davies or Taylor Jungmann - I'm sure they will let them battle it out for the spot. Plus don't rule out the old guy out could be the long man in the bullpen.

Chase Anderson - He's nothing exciting but they clearly got him to start

I think you will be surprised. People seem to think he is nothing but a filler guy but outside of the few weeks last year that he pitched while injured he has been better than Peralta in his career. It won't surprise me if he is the best pitcher in the rotation next year.

Garza was the 2nd worst starter in the NL (Lohse was the worst) last year. The only reason he's in the rotation is his contract and the fact they can't trade him.

I see a lot of talk that he's feeling better this year, blah, blah, blah. Ok so he goes back to his career self, a slightly under 4 ERA pitcher over the first 3 months. If you are a contender are you going to give up anything of any value to plug him into your rotation for the stretch drive? Probably not. There's always the risk that he reverts to his 2015 form.

If Broxton can be traded, anyone can be traded. Garza has to show something though, he was about as bad as it could get.

One issue with Garza though is I think he has an innings or games started issue that would trigger his extra year? So maybe that would mean some bullpen time.

Garza was the 2nd worst starter in the NL (Lohse was the worst) last year. The only reason he's in the rotation is his contract and the fact they can't trade him.

I see a lot of talk that he's feeling better this year, blah, blah, blah. Ok so he goes back to his career self, a slightly under 4 ERA pitcher over the first 3 months. If you are a contender are you going to give up anything of any value to plug him into your rotation for the stretch drive? Probably not. There's always the risk that he reverts to his 2015 form.

The bolded section alone makes me feel better about this years Brewers team in terms of being competitive in games this season. I almost forgot how truly awful those two were for us.

All it takes is for one team to believe he will help their club down the stretch. Garza was pitiful last season but to write him off because of it might be a little near sighted. If he pitches well through June/July, there will be teams looking for veteran rotation help. He's been traded in the past and there's no reason to believe he couldn't be again.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

One issue with Garza though is I think he has an innings or games started issue that would trigger his extra year? So maybe that would mean some bullpen time.

That's likely why they told him to either go to the bullpen or go home at the end of last season, and that should be enough that the option won't automatically vest. That said, I highly doubt he'll be the opening day starter. He'll be in the middle of the rotation. If he pitches like his career norms, someone will trade something for him, even if it's just salary relief. If he pitches like he did last year, the Brewers will cut him and eat the rest of his contract. I'm not too concerned about Garza, as his upside is we get a small return in trade, and his downside is we eat some salary in a year where we have plenty of excess cash. I hope he does well, but the Brewers' future isn't riding on it.

If I had to set a rotation today, Peralta would be the opening day starter (I agree with Rickh who said "No reason to burden Nelson with the Ace label yet. Peralta could use the encouragement and boost of confidence, as well.") Then I'd go with Nelson, who is probably the highest upside. Garza and Anderson would be 3/4, and I'd probably go with Jungmann, but would not be upset at all if the Brewers choose Davies. The loser of the Jungmann/Davies battle is the #1 starter at AAA. Pick up some old guy to be "long man," as I hate wasting a young pitcher in that role.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Broxton can be traded, anyone can be traded. Garza has to show something though, he was about as bad as it could get.

His option is based on games pitched in not started the way I have read it. Bullpen would be worse.

His option is based on games pitched in not started the way I have read it. Bullpen would be worse.

It is based on starts, he needs 110 starts between 2014-2017. He is at 52 and need 58 the next two years.

I'd like to see Garza start in the regular season Opening Day

Do everything you can to boost his confidence. "He's our veteran starter", "he knows how to get things done" whatever....

Hope that he can have 3 months of very solid pitching. Do tons of PR on his turnaround, hype up his "comeback player of the year candidacy etc etc.... and then if it works out you can actually trade him at the deadline.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Do everything you can to boost his confidence. "He's our veteran starter", "he knows how to get things done" whatever....

If being the opening day starter boosts a player's confidence (and therefore performance) in a meaningful manner, then it is a no-brainer that Peralta should be the choice. Garza playing well means that we can trade him for salary relief and a minor prospect. Peralta performing well means either we have an ace for a few years, or we could trade him for a big haul.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It is based on starts, he needs 110 starts between 2014-2017. He is at 52 and need 58 the next two years.

Do you have a link for that specific information? Everywhere I have found it they explain it as games pitched which does not specify starting/relieving. Maybe it was just assumed as starts because why would one expect him to suck so bad to relieve?

I'm not doubting you aren't right as starts would make most sense, but I have not seen that specific explanation anywhere.

Garza is starting opening day. No one in the current rotation screams ace and Garza is the vet, therefore he gets it. And whoever starts opening day won't make a difference anyway because Bumgarner will dominate the Brewer offense.

Nelson on his good days dominates. Ask the Pirates.

Garza is starting opening day. No one in the current rotation screams ace and Garza is the vet, therefore he gets it. And whoever starts opening day won't make a difference anyway because Bumgarner will dominate the Brewer offense.

Bold prediction...the LHP mashing Milwaukee Brewers beat Bumgarner on opening day.

Archived