Brewer Fanatic

Offical rule changes - faster play and safer slides

MadScientist

The last thing I want is umps decided what's okay and what isn't. What's okay to one isn't okay to another so you're going to have a bunch of arguments from teams using the this ump said it was okay, so why isn't it okay to you?

Having clearly defined rules makes it easier for everyone.

The last thing I want is umps decided what's okay and what isn't. What's okay to one isn't okay to another so you're going to have a bunch of arguments from teams using the this ump said it was okay, so why isn't it okay to you?

The strike zone is clearly defined but each umpire has his own "interpretation".

The strike zone is clearly defined but each umpire has his own "interpretation".

Just because umps don't follow the rules on the strike zone doesn't mean rules/definitions shouldn't be established in other parts of the game.

I am pretty sure this rule isn't all that original. There was already a rule in place against players trying to actually tag the bag. I know some players would go waaaay off the base to interfere with the fielder. However this call was rarely if ever called. The other problem with the past rule is flying straight over the base was ok...because well technically you touched the base at one point. This new rule is just taking the old rule to a whole new level.

One thing that might become a problem is the part of the rule, "makes attempt to stay on the base". This is something that is up to the umpires to decide. Does it have to be blatantly obvious he had no intention to stay on the base? Because it isn't uncommon to unintentionally over slide the base. It almost makes me think of when a pitcher intentionally throws at a batter. Yes we are all 99% it was intentional, but how do you truly know? How will we truly know he made no attempt to stay on the base?

Archived