Brewer Fanatic

any names interesting on the "out of options" list? wonder if Stearns is looking

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I see other people mentioning Montero here, now that he has been placed on waivers is there any real thought to taking a flyer on him? Yes I know it's popular around here for someone to suggest going after almost anyone who gets released, but thinking about it, isn't this guy a "Stearns special"? Highly thought of prospect who fell on hard times and has been shall we say, less than spectacular so far, but may have shown a little spark of turning things around? I know his last couple MLB years were dismal and he had weight/attitude issues, but on the off chance he has put those behind him, he's only 26, his AAA numbers last year were great and over a decent sample size. He also has experience at C and 1B, arguably the 2 positions we need the most depth in.

If he's free to get, maybe take a chance?

Who is the projected AAA 1B? He seems more like a DH type to me but I havent seen him catch or play 1B and my view is skewed when he was first traded as an elite bat and the reports suggested he wouldn't stay at catcher.

Wilkins is projected as the AAA 1b.

I thought it was Ramirez but yeah thats right. Neither is a "prospect" though so I suppose Montero wouldnt be blocking anyone the Brewers like a lot. I am not sure he is a upgrade over either though.

I thought it was Ramirez but yeah thats right. Neither is a "prospect" though so I suppose Montero wouldnt be blocking anyone the Brewers like a lot. I am not sure he is a upgrade over either though.

Montero is definitely an upgrade over anyone the Brewers have at 1B in the minors.

If this team was trying to compete, I'd be all for Loney. His career OPS is actually higher than Carter's and James has a well regarded glove. However, signing him would put Carter on the bench for most games and really limit the amount of playing time for Flores so I don't see any reason to sign him.

If this team was trying to compete, I'd be all for Loney. His career OPS is actually higher than Carter's and James has a well regarded glove. However, signing him would put Carter on the bench for most games and really limit the amount of playing time for Flores so I don't see any reason to sign him.

You should ALWAYS be trying to compete...ALWAYS. You play to win the game. Period.

We don't need to spend money on an aging veteran with declining production, we're not talking about squeaking into the wild card this year. Save the money, go with what we have.

Loney's not that old (turns 32 in May) and his production in 2015 while down somewhat, wasn't far off his career norms or his worst year. If he had been available this winter for what the Brewers are paying Carter, it's a no brainer, Loney's the better player. But the Brewers committed to Carter for 2016 and with Davis gone, they'll probably need his power and Carter is controllable for 2 more years. If he produces you go to arbitration for a couple years. If not, he gets non-tendered and you look at a guy like Loney for 2017.

MLB Trade Rumors - Though he’s a high-average hitter, Loney doesn’t draw a ton of walks and doesn’t have much pop. His production at the plate has tailed off in each successive year he’s been with the Rays, and he hit at a below-average clip (.280/.322/.357) in an injury-limited 2015 season. Loney has traditionally rated well with the glove, though metrics have seen him as very slightly below average in the last two seasons.

Pass. We can take our chances on Carter smacking home runs and some dumb GM swapping something of value for his power later this season or the next.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You should ALWAYS be trying to compete...ALWAYS. You play to win the game. Period.

Not really. You do play to win the game but you have to make good use of your finite resources. Throwing money at a guy to win a few extra games when you are at best a .500 team is a bad use of resources. Same thing with keeping the best guys on the MLB team vs burning service time. We are not at a point where we should try to squeeze out every win we can.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived