Brewer Fanatic

any names interesting on the "out of options" list? wonder if Stearns is looking

I'd like to see Bundy, we have the opportunity to bring him along slowly and he could be that top of the rotation arm when we are competing again, not sure what the cost would be. If they want a Michael Reed or Tyrone Taylor or even Clint Coulter, I'd do it

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think there will be a lot of roster moves with this team before the season starts. I have a feeling that Stearns and the team are scouting a hundred guys just like these types. These are guys you can often times pick up for cheap - and now is the time to take risks on players like Bundy or whomever.

I think there will be a lot of roster moves with this team before the season starts. I have a feeling that Stearns and the team are scouting a hundred guys just like these types. These are guys you can often times pick up for cheap - and now is the time to take risks on players like Bundy or whomever.

I'm sure they are but the 40 man is full or almost and there are a number of out of options guys and I don't see a whole lot of guys that are obvious cut candidates.

Oswaldo Arcia seems destined for this organization one way or another.

[sarcasm]If Melvin was still around maybe[/sarcasm] but a low OBP, no defense corner outfielder has not been Stearns MO so far.

No...it makes no sense to acquire any OFer at this point...none. I don't care who is steering the ship.

Danny Santana would be the buy low for a flip option...positional flexibility and SS ability. He was pretty bad last year and granted probably played above his ability the year before, so the true player may lie in the range of .260/.300/.370/.650. Better than Segura was last year. Still only 25 and he did have a record of hitting & getting on base in the minors.

They'll likely be some minor deals at the end of spring with out of options players exchanging teams including some on the Brewers. Way too hard to speculate names at this point though how could they pass on 1B who just turned 26 and hit .355/.398/.569 at AAA last year? I'd take Montero over Carter easily if he didn't cost much in return.

They'll likely be some minor deals at the end of spring with out of options players exchanging teams including some on the Brewers. Way too hard to speculate names at this point though how could they pass on 1B who just turned 26 and hit .355/.398/.569 at AAA last year? I'd take Montero over Carter easily if he didn't cost much in return.

Carter wasn't much worse in his PCL-infused plate appearances either. I would not call Jesus Montero's career dead, but Carter has at least shown a pulse in the majors.

Carter wasn't much worse in his PCL-infused plate appearances either. I would not call Jesus Montero's career dead, but Carter has at least shown a pulse in the majors.

Seattle has been a nightmare for a lot of accomplished hitters. Most of Montero's career AB's were as a 22 year old. Put him in a hitter friendly park, and he'll likely blossom. Carter on the other hand is so contact challenged as to have a ceiling so low the Astros non-tendered him.

Seattle has been a nightmare for a lot of accomplished hitters. Most of Montero's career AB's were as a 22 year old. Put him in a hitter friendly park, and he'll likely blossom. Carter on the other hand is so contact challenged as to have a ceiling so low the Astros non-tendered him.

Montero can also be one of those guys that hits well at AAA but the light switch goes off at the next level. Carter will give you 35HR (if healthy) even being contact-challenged. Neither is the future 1b so I don't see the point in adding Montero

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm sure they are but the 40 man is full or almost and there are a number of out of options guys and I don't see a whole lot of guys that are obvious cut candidates.

Out of the "number of out of options guys" that we have, not all of them will stick around. In the OF alone, there must be one cut: Liriano/Flores/Nieuwhatever. And Broxton might push one of them out too. Good possibilities in the BP for cuts, too.

Trading Lucroy, an SP or an RP would also open spots up.

Montero can also be one of those guys that hits well at AAA but the light switch goes off at the next level. Carter will give you 35HR (if healthy) even being contact-challenged. Neither is the future 1b so I don't see the point in adding Montero

Yeah, we could sign Montero who has hit 28 home runs in 5 season of pro ball and a career mid .600's OPS..... or we could just let Carter and his 109 HR's in 6 seasons with an OPS of in the mid .700's. It is not all about striking out.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

I see other people mentioning Montero here, now that he has been placed on waivers is there any real thought to taking a flyer on him? Yes I know it's popular around here for someone to suggest going after almost anyone who gets released, but thinking about it, isn't this guy a "Stearns special"? Highly thought of prospect who fell on hard times and has been shall we say, less than spectacular so far, but may have shown a little spark of turning things around? I know his last couple MLB years were dismal and he had weight/attitude issues, but on the off chance he has put those behind him, he's only 26, his AAA numbers last year were great and over a decent sample size. He also has experience at C and 1B, arguably the 2 positions we need the most depth in.

If he's free to get, maybe take a chance?

I'd rather take a flyer on Montero who's actually hit over his entire minor league career than a guy like Middlebrooks who because he was in Boston's system was overhyped after one.

Carter's on a one year deal. If he explodes and hits 35 HR this year are the Brewers going to step up and pay him the going rate? If he hits under .200 again with 20 or so HR, can't they do better?

I see other people mentioning Montero here, now that he has been placed on waivers is there any real thought to taking a flyer on him? Yes I know it's popular around here for someone to suggest going after almost anyone who gets released, but thinking about it, isn't this guy a "Stearns special"? Highly thought of prospect who fell on hard times and has been shall we say, less than spectacular so far, but may have shown a little spark of turning things around? I know his last couple MLB years were dismal and he had weight/attitude issues, but on the off chance he has put those behind him, he's only 26, his AAA numbers last year were great and over a decent sample size. He also has experience at C and 1B, arguably the 2 positions we need the most depth in.

If he's free to get, maybe take a chance?

Who is the projected AAA 1B? He seems more like a DH type to me but I havent seen him catch or play 1B and my view is skewed when he was first traded as an elite bat and the reports suggested he wouldn't stay at catcher.

I'd rather take a flyer on Montero who's actually hit over his entire minor league career than a guy like Middlebrooks who because he was in Boston's system was overhyped after one.

Carter's on a one year deal. If he explodes and hits 35 HR this year are the Brewers going to step up and pay him the going rate? If he hits under .200 again with 20 or so HR, can't they do better?

If Carter is on a 35 HR pace he will be traded in July.

i think the problem with montero is finding somewhere to stick him on the 25 man. I could see a case made for only carrying 4 outfielders so that you could bring along Montero. On the other hand, i think they will keep walsh and a backup shortstop, so that means that they might not really have a player on the roster who is capable of being that 5th outfielder. I'd probably pick him up at the expense of Nieuwenheis or pressley, but it will make for annoying roster issues---like Yadiel in Lf or something equally wacky.

I asked the question to some of the guys who follow the Crew do they think the crew will add someone from outside to the 25 man roster and all said yes they believe they would. But when Pressed for specific names no response.

Archived