Brewer Fanatic

Braun to move to LF

reillymcshane

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing to keep in mind. Santana is not an established major league hitter and he's going to have to hold off Flores who's primarily a LF and brings different offensive skills (better contact, lesser power) to the table and is a lefty bat on a team lacking them. Whether he ultimately beats out Santana remains to be seen, but I doubt anything is completely set in stone until Santana proves he can produce over a bigger sample.

One thing to keep in mind. Santana is not an established major league hitter and he's going to have to hold off Flores who's primarily a LF and brings different offensive skills (better contact, lesser power) to the table and is a lefty bat on a team lacking them. Whether he ultimately beats out Santana remains to be seen, but I doubt anything is completely set in stone until Santana proves he can produce over a bigger sample.

Actually Santana has a higher AVG in his minor league career than Flores (30 points higher at AAA), but I'm glad a side effect of your anti-Santana bias is praise of Flores, because I'd love if they were both good. :)

Good that the better of the two defenders is in RF & the poorer is in LF. But this is a 'move' that has almost zero meaning for the result of any season, & especially one in which the W-L total isn't very important.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This is the best move. He was getting marginal in LF before we moved him to RF to accommodate Davis. Playing better in LF makes him a better trade chip assuming he recovers from the back surgery.

Santana's bat almost has to be in the lineup.

Flores is nothing of value. No need to accomodate him. At best he is just a guy. I have no idea why any team would ever trade for him let alone try and find a place in the starting lineup.

Flores is nothing of value. No need to accomodate him. At best he is just a guy. I have no idea why any team would ever trade for him let alone try and find a place in the starting lineup.

We agree to disagree. In 2015 between AAA and the majors, Flores walked more than he struck out, as a 23 year old. He hit .426 with a 1.194 over his last month at AAA. He also posted a .902 OPS against LHP in AAA in 2015. Since two teams traded for him within a few months, I suspect that GM's see him as more than "just a guy". Of all the OF that Stearns acquired, Flores is the one that's not "just a guy". He also can play 1B, and if Carter stumbles, who knows? Not many 5'10" 1B, though Steve Garvey had a pretty nice career and he's a lefthanded thrower.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well, certainly Braun to LF means that they assume Santana is going to get the lion share of the starts. Flores isn't known for his arm from what I've read (and the fact that ~60% of his games are in LF).

Hard to say what Santana will bring next year. He probably won't hit over 250, but most likely will be above 320 OBP and 420 SLG (he exceeded both last year in 177 ABs). That (740 OPS) is about average for a corner OF in MLB. His career minor numbers (282/373/485/857) are interesting enough to make him the best corner OF prospect that is ready for MLB. Certainly we need to find out what we have in him.

Flores is interesting, but profiles much more like Michael Reed. His career minors numbers (275/363/405/768) are certainly a step back from Santana. And he has only played 5 games at 1B since he was 20+. So I'm not sure he is a real option at 1B either.

Rymer Liriano even has an advantage IMO than Flores. He is a year older (24) than either Flores or Santana, but that is hardly old. His minors numbers are a bit better (277/350/435/784) or probably statistically even. But he plays far more games in CF and RF (30% and 60% respectively), so he is more flexible defensively. He is right handed, which would be the only negative I can see vs. Flores.

The other thing that intrigues me about Liriano is the direction of his development. He seems to be ascending his numbers as he climbs. His last two seasons he hit this: 2015: 292/383/460/843 and 2014: 291/362/473/836

- Edit: I just noticed that Flores had a similar effect the last two years: 2015: 308/401/454/855 and 2014: 247/339/443/782.

I am happy to see Braun make the move back over to LF. Hardly anyone gives him credit for moving positions now multiple times in his career hardly without batting an eye. It will be interesting to see how the OF shakes out this year besides Braun because we have a long list of guys who need to see at bats at the MLB level to see exactly what they are. Here's hoping that 2-3 of them stick and are valuable pieces moving forward.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We agree to disagree. In 2015 between AAA and the majors, Flores walked more than he struck out, as a 23 year old. He hit .426 with a 1.194 over his last month at AAA. He also posted a .902 OPS against LHP in AAA in 2015. Since two teams traded for him within a few months, I suspect that GM's see him as more than "just a guy". Of all the OF that Stearns acquired, Flores is the one that's not "just a guy". He also can play 1B, and if Carter stumbles, who knows? Not many 5'10" 1B, though Steve Garvey had a pretty nice career and he's a lefthanded thrower.

Remember, if two teams traded for him, that means two teams got rid of him too. Plus he is hurt now.

Im not too concerned about the MLB roster, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. This is a horrendous team that will only get worse when the Luc and Smith trades happen so ultimately the Flores/Santana RF battle doesn't matter.

I do think if we are hoping for guy to reach his potential, Id rather it was Santana because he has a much higher ceiling and power is a very tradable tool.

You lose me on this one. How can a guy who is 23 years old and has had some success in the minors not have any value? Silly.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You lose me on this one. How can a guy who is 23 years old and has had some success in the minors not have any value? Silly.

I realize the bar has gotten really low lately but come on now. If Flores is the answer I cant even imagine what the question would be. His profile screams at best 4th OF assuming he is even healthy. We have better players on the team and it isnt much of a team.

As someone already pointed out, he is pretty much Michael Reed and we already have one of those.

Except Michael Reed bats righty & Flores bats lefty which (assuming all else is more or less equal) gives Flores an edge with two righty batters atop the current corner outfield depth chart.

[sarcasm]Awesome. When do WS Tix go on sale? I want to make sure I have mine![/sarcasm]

All kidding aside, few fanbases would even care about a Flores and we are one of them that shouldnt either. Braun is locked in at LF, Santana in RF. CF is up for grabs but I wouldnt imagine Flores profiles as an everyday CF under even the most optimistic of fans. Therefore he is at best a 4th OF who is also hurt.

Except Michael Reed bats righty & Flores bats lefty which (assuming all else is more or less equal) gives Flores an edge with two righty batters atop the current corner outfield depth chart.

[sarcasm]Awesome. When do WS Tix go on sale? I want to make sure I have mine![/sarcasm]

All kidding aside, few fanbases would even care about a Flores and we are one of them that shouldnt either. Braun is locked in at LF, Santana in RF. CF is up for grabs but I wouldnt imagine Flores profiles as an everyday CF under even the most optimistic of fans. Therefore he is at best a 4th OF who is also hurt.

Gerardo Parra was a pretty good 4th OF that netted us a promising starting pitcher. And he was a lot older.

I agree that Flores is at best a 4th OF, but every team needs a good 4th OF & it is especially nice when that 4th OF compliments the handedness of your likely starting corner OFs.

Also, he is no longer hurt. "Flores has completed his recovery from a broken ankle, and is a full-go as spring training begins, MLB.com's Adam McCalvy reports."

You seem fond of making very strong declarations about young players' value -- the pitchers in the Lind trade, now Flores -- without offering much to back up your arguments. I'm not saying your bottom line judgments are wrong, but you aren't offering much reason to think they're right, and the range of possible outcomes for young players with some indications of talent tends to be pretty broad. Whether a guy like Flores gets a real shot probably depends on whether either Braun or Santana misses some time with injuries, which seems fairly likely to happen.

The FO is collecting young players with upside (which is what makes them worth trying) and limits or tarnish (which is what makes them available). Some of those guys, like Flores, are at the point where they'll have to put up or shut up at the MLB level this year or next. For me, that's fun. We weren't going to the World Series with Gomez, Davis, Fiers, etc., and we sure aren't going this year without them. I'm looking forward to seeing how these young guys pan out.

Archived