Brewer Fanatic

Catcher if/when Lucroy is traded

Yolk
I'd like to take a shot on Austin Hedges from San Diego. They traded for Christian Bethancourt to handle the backup catching duties behind Norris so it appears that Hedges would be available. I know he hasn't hit mucch (he did have a nice small-sample showing in AAA last year) but he's only 23 and one of the best all-around defensive catchers there is.

To clarify, I didn't mean that Austin Hedges would be the Brewers catcher right when Lucroy leaves. Just that he's a guy I'd like in the system -- either in AAA to get at bats or as a young, defensive-minded reserve in the majors with the possibility of developing into more. With the Padres' acquisition of Bethancourt, it seemed that Hedges could be had for cheap.

Unless Maldonado actually got himself in shape, he couldn't catch 120 games and be worth anything anyways. His legs will be dead around game 60 carrying the weight he does.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Unless Maldonado actually got himself in shape, he couldn't catch 120 games and be worth anything anyways. His legs will be dead around game 60 carrying the weight he does.

I assume that if/when Lucroy is traded that whoever is the #2 catcher will get plenty of games started even if Maldonado is doing fine. There is no reason to not split up the games 60/40.

I don't think Lucroy gets moved until midseason. They could get a catcher included back in the deal or just go with Maldonado and likely Manny Pina for the rest of this year, then they'd look at some bargain veteran FA (Nick Hundley?) in the offseason that can tide them over until Nottingham is ready.

Archived