Brewer Fanatic

2016 Bullpen

Roderick

since 1 june, the brewers have had an eight-man bullpen. it's quite puzzling that they've gone this long short a bench player--especially during a stretch with so many off-days.

i'm hard pressed to remember a longer stint (excluding september) with an eight-man bullpen. might this be a club record?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
since 1 june, the brewers have had an eight-man bullpen. it's quite puzzling that they've gone this long short a bench player--especially during a stretch with so many off-days.

i'm hard pressed to remember a longer stint (excluding september) with an eight-man bullpen. might this be a club record?

I suspect they'll go with 8 until Santana comes off the DL though there's a decent chance they'll just DFA Presley to make room for him. Might have to wait until some team calls on Torres or Boyer.

Could be wrong, but seems like they've gone long stretches with an 8 man BP fairly often over the years.

Anybody else think they'd be better off with another lefty (Kirkman) in the mix? Kirkman's numbers at AAA have been decent and he's dominated LH bats. It kind of defeats the purpose of having 8 relievers if you can't do some mixing and matching.

Kirkman and Magnifico need a look if Smith, Boyer, Jeffers, Torres or Thornburg are traded. Marinez has not been poor enough to release but I assume he is the first of the current pitchers to go. I'd like to see Barnes in more pressure situations. I believe that if a starter gets hurt or traded (and another starter is not involved) we will see Hader.

Kirkman and Magnifico need a look if Smith, Boyer, Jeffers, Torres or Thornburg are traded. Marinez has not been poor enough to release but I assume he is the first of the current pitchers to go. I'd like to see Barnes in more pressure situations. I believe that if a starter gets hurt or traded (and another starter is not involved) we will see Hader.

Blazek has a 4.39 ERA, a 5.10 FIP, and a 1.838 WHIP. He shouldn't be anywhere near a pressure situation. He's nearing DFA worthy status.

I'm fine with the 8 man pen. Considering that Nieuwenhuis, Broxton, and Presley could all be DFA'ed today and no one would shed a tear, I can't see too much value added by extending the bench without one or two of the aforementioned being sent packing.

I believe that if a starter gets hurt or traded (and another starter is not involved) we will see Hader.

I believe if a starter is hurt or traded we'll see Peralta, Burgos, or Suter.

I think Suter is definitely a worthy candidate of a call up. He would intrigue me the most of the guys you listed to give a shot to. So hard to look at guys numbers pitching in Colorado Springs but I would like to see another lefty come on up and add to this rotation.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Anybody else think they'd be better off with another lefty (Kirkman) in the mix? Kirkman's numbers at AAA have been decent and he's dominated LH bats. It kind of defeats the purpose of having 8 relievers if you can't do some mixing and matching.

Not to mention Will Smith has been overused because of him being the only lefty. That said, not sure Kirkman is the answer though.

Blazek has a 4.39 ERA, a 5.10 FIP, and a 1.838 WHIP. He shouldn't be anywhere near a pressure situation. He's nearing DFA worthy status.

Yep and that's why I don't understand why Blazek was Counsell's choice to pitch the 8th inning in a winnable one-run game the other night. I get that Will Smith may not have been available, but anybody at this point is a better option than Blazek.

Yep and that's why I don't understand why Blazek was Counsell's choice to pitch the 8th inning in a winnable one-run game the other night. I get that Will Smith may not have been available, but anybody at this point is a better option than Blazek.

Yes and no. Not anyone is better. Boyer, Torres, Marinez are all about the same guy as Blazek. With that said, managers always shy away from using the hot hand in the BP. Blazek started the year as the "8th inning guy" so good luck changing that.

I get you can't keep changing it around every series, you need some consistency. But when a guy is really struggling like Blazek, quit trying to force him into a role he can't handle. Torres has been pitching well, let him take the 8th if Thornburg isn't available, at least for the time being.

• 5 weeks later...

although craig counsell has yet to appoint a new closer, tyler thornburg certainly made a case for himself by preserving a one-run lead last night.

it also sends a positive message to other brewers prospects. thornburg and david goforth are the only two members of the bullpen drafted by the brewers, and the previous closer was also drafted by the brewers.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived