Brewer Fanatic

2016 Bullpen

Roderick
I have liked every move that Stearns has made so far (the Lind deal is a little iffy), but keeping Capuano over Morales is the one I really don't like. I was hoping I would like it better after a few days, but...I will cringe every time Capuano is trotting in from the bullpen.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bullpen was not selected for talent, it was selected to protect service time on the kids.

If you're trying to win games, you don't put a Boyer and a Cappy on your team in 2016. Torres has actually been a decent reliever the last few years but if he can't make the Braves, and could arguably become our 8th inning guy, there is a problem.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Smith and Knebel both being injured makes the entire bullpen worse (obviously) by bumping everyone else up two spots, and forcing two guys into the mix that otherwise wouldn't be here.

Blazek had a good season last year, and Jeffress should be solid, and "if" we had Smith and Knebel, I'd like this bullpen a lot more.

Ah well, injuries happen.

The loss of KRod already started the domino effect. The Smith and Knebel injuries just exasperated the situation.

Bullpens are very unpredictable year to year. It will be interesting to see if Torres, Blazek, and Jeffries can pitch high leverage innings.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The loss of KRod already started the domino effect.

That too.

If Thornburg can keep the ball in the yard, I think he can be serviceable. Pena may be alright as well. I don't think this bullpen is a disaster (and will be better when Knebel is back), but it would certainly look better with Smith, and without Capuano. The flipside of that is Smith was likely to get traded for value anyways, so we could throw that out there as well.

The bullpen was not selected for talent, it was selected to protect service time on the kids.

If you're trying to win games, you don't put a Boyer and a Cappy on your team in 2016. Torres has actually been a decent reliever the last few years but if he can't make the Braves, and could arguably become our 8th inning guy, there is a problem.

Counsell stated that veterans in the bullpen gives the team the best chance of winning games.

Counsell stated that veterans in the bullpen gives the team the best chance of winning games.

It must have been an April fools joke because that's a bunch of hooey. Good pitchers give you a chance to win and Capuano and Boyer don't fall into that category. I really don't care who's in the bullpen since they're going to lose a lot of games anyway, and as I've posted before, Boyer and Cappy are just placeholders until guys get healthy or are ready to be called up. Both will be gone by the All Star break.

The nice thing about having a crappy veteran bullpen is you could see the pen blow some games and give us more losses helping in the long run, a month ago I thought wed win 73 or so games. Now with all the injuries and arguably what was the strength of our team is now our weakest part I think 100 losses is a real possibility

The nice thing about having a crappy veteran bullpen is you could see the pen blow some games and give us more losses helping in the long run, a month ago I thought wed win 73 or so games. Now with all the injuries and arguably what was the strength of our team is now our weakest part I think 100 losses is a real possibility

This guy gets it. A low quality bullpen equals very few wins.

Obviously injuries have factored in to the makeup of the bullpen, but I think (and I believe Counsell thinks) that having some veterans in the pen that can teach some of the younger pitchers about professionalism and preparation is a good thing. Yes talent is the bottom line, but having a veteran or two to act as mentors is a good idea.

Remember Jim Henderson? He just blew away the World Champs in his first appearance for the Mets. He's back throwing 95-96. Brewers just let him walk. Yeah he was hurt, but this was a guy who gave the Brewers some quality relief work.

Remember Jim Henderson? He just blew away the World Champs in his first appearance for the Mets. He's back throwing 95-96. Brewers just let him walk. Yeah he was hurt, but this was a guy who gave the Brewers some quality relief work.

Whoo hoo. It's 1 inning in which he got out such [sarcasm]great hitters[/sarcasm] as Salvador Perez and Omar Infante. I'm not sweating his loss in any way. We'll see what goes first: his shoulder or his control. Either way I doubt he makes it through 2016 as a productive reliever.

I wish him nothing but the best, great to see he landed on such a good team. I certainly would take him over the likes of Boyer and Torres now but quite frankly thought he was done last year. Congrats to him for proving people like me wrong.

I don't understand why the Brewers claimed and continue to roster Junior Guerra if they aren't going to use him. I cant imagine the need being a whole lot more than right now. The projections showing him with a >15% K-BB yet he is one of the first cuts of spring. I guess maybe they think he is more valuable sitting ready as a 7th or 8th starter.

Either you believe the projections and the guy has a chance to be an effective big league pitcher or you don't and move on.

Unless we find 5 or 6 that do their job consistently. If we find that, this season won't be as bad as some think. Just gotta get healthy.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 1 month later...
The bullpen is going to be a continuing carousel of characters all year long.

it should be noted that only one active reliever can be optioned (michael blazek). it's doubtful that the brewers would option him, so expect to see dfa reports aplenty as the season progresses--especially with so many players likely to return from the disabled list.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that Smith and Knebel are expecting to return next week, who do you think will be gone?

Goforth is the easy choice, but after that it gets harder as the bullpen has pitched well. Torres has not pitched poorly but he is older and probably has little trade value.

They may drop someone from the bench. Presley is not needed or Walsh may go down with a mysterious ailment. He has to be close to having enough time on the roster that he can be stashed on the DL until Sept callups.

If it were up to me, I'd go with an 8 reliever pen.

Reason being I would like to see us try an approach like the Royals and Rays last year of severely limiting the work of our starting pithers. Statistically it's been shown that hitters' chances increase greatly the 3rd time they see a pitcher. Without looking it up, it does seem like the 6th inning is our toughest one.

With our weak rotation but strong bullpen I could see this approach making a lot of sense for us.

I'm not sure if I heard the stat right last night or not, but I thought I heard the Brewers had the best bullpen in the last 20 games.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right either. But if I'm remembering correctly, the Brewers pitchers — starters and relievers combined — have the best team ERA in games since May 10. That probably doesn't include last night's game.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 2 weeks later...
Verified Member
it's been about a week that the brewers have been carrying an eight-man bullpen. one has to wonder how much longer that will last.

Agreed... It's time to DFA Marinez and Nieweunheis.

Bring Broxton back up... Him and Flores platoon in CF.

Archived