Brewer Fanatic

2016 Bullpen

Roderick
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I had Nolin in mine I'll update. Smith, Jeffress, Knebel, Thornburg, Blazek, Morales, Jones. I still think Jones is worth the gamble but if they don't go with him I think it'll be Boyer then they'll work out a deal with Twins to keep Jones to let him develop. Add him to the power arm list of guys coming up in the next year or two

Update: since Jones is on the DL I'll formally go with Boyer in final spot. He has 2yrs running of strong performance out of the pen whereas Pena has limited MLB experience and hasn't had a solid year in the minors since 2013. Cappy has pitched very well this spring but can't see him making it over Boyer

I agree, best case is trade a very small piece for Jones and stick him in AAA. Then keep Morales and Boyer and hope you can move them at the deadline for more pieces. That is actually a pretty darn good bullpen even though we don't have a "proven closer" at the back end. We will see if any trades are made this week too, which would definitely change some things along with the fact that other teams will have to let go players that Stearns might jump on. The bullpen could look a little different in a couple weeks.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Since Goforth & Cravy seem to be locks to start the year in Colorado Springs (assuming no further catastrophic injuries, knock on wood), it would seem to be down to Boyer, Capuano, Morales, & Pena for the last 3 spots. A case could be made for each of those guys making the Opening Day roster. Smith's departure from to the DL would seem to give both Capuano & Morales something of an edge since they're lefties, but that's still pure speculation.

At least the position player battle for roster spots remains intriguing, is shrouded in plenty of mystery, and is even tougher to handicap.

Boyer dominated LH hitters last year, with a .436 OPS against. Loss of Smith makes Boyer and Morales locks in my opinion because both have late inning experience. That makes it Pena vs. Capuano. In that case you go with the youth in another no- brainer. If Capuano didn't have " sentimental" aspect, he'd be an after thought as a veteran mediocre starter trying to reinvent himself to stay in the game.

I watched a lot of games this spring on Tv and at Maryvale. Boyer absolutely looked worse than Capuano, Morales, Cravy and Goforth this spring. Obviously looking for him to have a great season so they dump him for a prospect.

I watched a lot of games this spring on Tv and at Maryvale. Boyer absolutely looked worse than Capuano, Morales, Cravy and Goforth this spring. Obviously looking for him to have a great season so they dump him for a prospect.

Boyer's performance in 2015 carries a lot more weight than a handful of innings in Arizona. Capuano's ERA of nearly 8 last year makes him the underdog vs. Morales too.

Boyer's performance in 2015 carries a lot more weight than a handful of innings in Arizona. Capuano's ERA of nearly 8 last year makes him the underdog vs. Morales too.

His 4.6 K/9 in 2015?

His 4.6 K/9 in 2015?

Or his league leading 18 inherited runs scored?

Should I get ready for his bobble head day? Haha part of me loves this
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I prefer Morales over Cappy. However, Cappy has looked very good this spring and some spots are earned during spring performance - his was earned no doubt. It doesn't matter this year anyway.

I like that Cappy made the team and I wish Morales had, too. I don't get keeping Boyer, esp. over Morales, but oh well.

It's struck me the last couple days that the 25-man roster's likely to have a much higher degree of fluidity to it this year than in the past, and by mid-August, injuries aside, I'd be surprised if the roster doesn't look significantly different than it does now.

Torres couldn't make the Braves bullpen roster out of spring training and their bullpen is worse than the Brewers, so how is it he make the Brewers pen? Someone explain that to me. Would of rather seen Goforth and Cravy as opposed to Torres and Boyer. We went young on the rebuild except in the bullpen. Does anyone know if this is Goforth and Cravy second options used?

Archived