Brewer Fanatic

2016 Bullpen

Roderick
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm thinking that Smith will be dealt before the season starts if he pitches really well in spring training.

Smith is a very well-known quantity. He doesn't need to pitch well in a handful of meaningless ST games for other GM's to know what they're getting. If he gets traded, it's because the right trade came along, not because of 5-6 good ST innings.

EDITED (Nolin acquisition) - Opening Day - Jeffress, Knebel, Blazek, Thornburg, Pena, Nolin, Jones (obviously if he needs to perform relatively well in spring)

I think Smith is traded for sure and given other options in pen I think Jones is worth the gamble given the expectations for the team this season. I really like Barrios but think he still needs time to continue to develop at AAA given he wasn't always a pitcher and is still learning. If Magnifico continues dominating out of pen you're looking at him, Barrios, Houser next in line replacing some of these current guys (I do think Houser will land in the pen)

I'm thinking that Smith will be dealt before the season starts if he pitches really well in spring training. Somebody will have an injury and need that arm. And I assume a 7-man bullpen.

I really doubt that if a team or two has strong interest in Smith, that they first need to see how he does in spring before making an offer. He's already proven the kind of stuff he has in real games.

I'm thinking that Smith will be dealt before the season starts if he pitches really well in spring training. Somebody will have an injury and need that arm. And I assume a 7-man bullpen.

I really doubt that if a team or two has strong interest in Smith, that they first need to see how he does in spring before making an offer. He's already proven the kind of stuff he has in real games.

Yeah, but I was thinking more in terms of what the opposition will think they can deal for him. We all know that spring stats are meaningless, but people still look at them as meaningful for some reason. If he's lights out early in the spring and someone asks about him, there won't be a lowball offer. If Smith is shaky early, Stearns may get an offer, but not one he likes.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I don't think he gets dealt in the spring if he gets knocked around 3 or 4 times.

Yeah, but I was thinking more in terms of what the opposition will think they can deal for him. We all know that spring stats are meaningless, but people still look at them as meaningful for some reason. If he's lights out early in the spring and someone asks about him, there won't be a lowball offer. If Smith is shaky early, Stearns may get an offer, but not one he likes.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I don't think he gets dealt in the spring if he gets knocked around 3 or 4 times.

The only thing which i could see possibly scaring other teams would be if Smith's velocity was down significantly during spring games and stayed that way all spring.

Smith probably won't face an actual major league hitter in a game until his 3rd or 4th time out. And he'll only have about 5 innings after two weeks worth of games. The only thing you can learn from that is whether or not his velocity is where it was last year.

• 4 weeks later...
That might leave 2 spots hopefully another lefty.

I hope those two spots go to Pena and Nolin. The Rule 5 guy can probably open the season on the DL, and then go on a minor league rehab stint, giving the Brewers more time to see if there is an injury or if they want to give up someone like Pena in order to hold onto him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Looking at the Wang situation as the "model for a rule 5" pick is mistaken. Wang was a special case. Brewers considered him an actual prospect. Jones is more typical. They aren't going to try and hide a 25 year old with barely any experience above A ball. They've added relief arms with realistic roster chances since they took him. He hasn't pitched at all in Arizona. Could they extend the trial with a DL stint? Sure. But if they really like him, they'll simply work out a minor deal with Twins.

The last 2 spots (or 3 if they go with 13 pitchers) are down to these 4: Boyer, Pena, Nolin, and Capuano. There's still time for somebody else to step up into contention too.

I can see Pena* but not Boyer. I could see any of Nolin, Capuano, & Morales.

I can't see 13 pitchers and hope we don't at any point all year (except in the 2nd game of doubleheaders when they're allowed an extra guy, which seems like a really weird rule to me given that my memories of doubleheaders for the first decade-plus of 1980 & onward were almost always with 10-man pitching staffs -- and that's without counting the few years later in that span when it was in vogue for cost-saving purposes to go for a time with a 24-man roster (yes, the days of labor hell and Donald Fehr and countless work stoppages)).

*Edit to clarify: I can see keeping Pena at least to begin with since he's out of options and they'd prefer to give him a shot in-season before risking losing him on waivers.

*Edit to clarify: I can see keeping Pena at least to begin with since he's out of options and they'd prefer to give him a shot in-season before risking losing him on waivers.

With the Nolin injury that is my guess what happens now. Morales and Pena get the last two spots but Pena better produce if he wants to keep his job.

With the Nolin injury that is my guess what happens now. Morales and Pena get the last two spots but Pena better produce if he wants to keep his job.

It's pretty likely that Pena would clear waivers. Relievers with his track record are a dime a dozen and with teams trying to get down to 25, I doubt his name on the waiver wire will make a GM stand up and take notice.

Guys like Capuano and Boyer are in the same boat, would likely clear waivers and nothing special. With the injuries it is basically choosing between a nothing special guy with no options/opt out clause or a younger player with options.

It's pretty likely that Pena would clear waivers. Relievers with his track record are a dime a dozen and with teams trying to get down to 25, I doubt his name on the waiver wire will make a GM stand up and take notice.

There are only so many teams that already know they are out of the pennant chase at this point of the season that would be willing to use a roster spot on a Pena, and if he doesn't stick with the Brewers (one of those teams), then his chances are not good elsewhere.

Of course if the Brewers want to send him to AAA, can he refuse and go to another teams AAA team if he feels he will have a better chance at a MLB roster?

Guys like Capuano and Boyer are in the same boat, would likely clear waivers and nothing special. With the injuries it is basically choosing between a nothing special guy with no options/opt out clause or a younger player with options.

Capuano cleared waivers like 5 times last year. I would lol at any team that would decide to claim in this year.

Zack Jones might get the final bullpen spot.

after being shut down, the brewers announced that jones was finally going to see action in a major league game, but then had him pitch in a minor league game instead.

if a player appears in a major league spring training game, his disabled list assignment cannot be backdated prior to that game's date.

one has to wonder if the brewers are planning on having jones open the season on the disabled list, but taking advantage of backdating it and placing him on the 60-day disabled list to open up a roster spot?

What works against Capuano is his 7.97 ERA in 2015 and no ERA under 4 since 2012. Ten decent innings in Arizona isn't going to erase that. He could be let go and available 6 weeks from now when another team drops him. Pena could make the team, but he's going to be 27 in May and hasn't done any significant work in the majors. He's not indispensable by any means. Others will similar backgrounds will be available.

Boyer and Morales on the other hand are coming off of decent years with teams who contended last year. Those guys are nice to have when the deadline approaches and teams are looking to add veterans to their bullpen.

Archived